Is it worth owning a PS3 when you already own a high end computer?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by DrHycodan, Feb 20, 2010.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I feel there are good games on all current platforms, PS3 has games like Uncharted, and some others. 360 has Gears of War 2 that I love so much plus a very easy and expandable community, and pc has nice visuals with customization in it. :D

2. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    The 360 has Halo (I don't care for any halo besides Custom Edition so this doesn't matter to me), and it has Fable (But that's most likely going to be butchered soon), and it has Gears of War (which I found good fun but you may not)

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Where did the OP ask anything about anything MS or 360 related.:confused:

4. lancerz

lancerz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1GB GTX 460
    You hit it right in the nose, PS3 exclusives are some of the best games out there for consoles. None of that bs porting games from x360 because its cheaper to make and saves the game companies money. The Heavy Rain demo was awesome, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 is awesome, much better than MW2 if you ask me and all the other exclusives. Oh and GOW III...i'm done :)

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Agree with most of the above, apart from Killzone2, such a generic FPS, not as overhyped as MW2 but not far off, and the visuals aren't up to the quality of other exclusives.

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    with quality do you mean visual or gameplay wise ?

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    He says the VISUALS aren't up to quality, so I think he means visuals. I could be wrong though.

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    oh your right. sry totally read it wrong :(

9. faded

faded Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7970 OC
    PS3 has no hardware issues?
    I know lots of people that have had them die and had to send them back for repairs..
    The new slim however may be different.
    My 360 elite has had no problems for almost 2 years now.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, in KZ2 i meant visuals, 30fps, most of the impressive physics were scripted, and there was to much aliasing, even when i was sitting 10feet away, not as bad as Halo3 though, could of stood outside and that would still of looked sh1t.
    The gun, and reload animations were outstanding in KZ2 though.

Probably just cause there are too many great looking FPS's on the PC, that all easily run at 60fps, and i think its third person shooters that the PS3 excels at, which is good, since its probably my favourite genre.

11. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I loved Killzone 2, grpahics where mind blowing, gameplay was really solid, i agree it didnt do anything new for FPS's but the scame and scope where amazing.

Same as uncharted 2 and resistance 2, amazing games in places.

12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
  13. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    If there are console games that interest you then yes, i myself am not interested in console exclusive titles for PS3 and Xbox360. The only consoles i play regularly are my super nintendo and psx. I own alot of the classics for the snes and prefer using psx emulator to the original as i can get alot of fancy extras. But enjoy playing snes games on the console. Anyway many games are being ported to pc nowadays and they are usually superior to that of their console counterparts. So it's a win win situation for me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
  14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    GT5 doesnt interest you? Resistance 2 no interest? R2 was one of the best fps games i've played in a very long time. your missn out.

15. Lacusmons

Lacusmons Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    To OP:

yes, its worth it. There are games that will not come to the PC. For me i got my XB360 for racing and hack & slash games and some sport games like Top spin 2. Plus the console has more features like watching movies and streaming etc.

Go ahead and buy a PS3, you will not regret it :)

16. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    defiantly worth it ;).
    especialy with final fantasy XIII around corner.
    and ofc not to forget to imba exclusive tittles that ps3 has atm.

17. sakis213

sakis213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia eVGA 8800Gtx
    Go for it mate and don't forget to get MAG, 128 vs 128 players online in a battlefiled:)

Fisrt time console owner and it really worth it, most of the games have online modes , you get trophies online ranking etc,

A new era has come:)

18. wolverin0

wolverin0 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX460 Cyclone 1GD5OC
    If you have a high-end computer, you should consider that EACH part of it, worth as much as one-hole-complete-new-generation console.

For a top VGA card you already bought one and a half console.
    I have Phenom II X4 + 6gb DDR3 + etc etc and own PS2, PS3, XBOX360, Wii, PSP, don't see why you wouldn't buy a PS3 AT LEAST. Plus, there are TONS and far far far more game releases than for PC (on PS3 or any other system)... period.

19. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Well if you here from the Console Bashers, it will be a unilateral no across the board.... and by doing so, you are ruining the PC world.... Let me tell ya, close your ears to this.

is it worth it.. YOU BETCHA...

As for the 360 Bashers in here.. my god, chill out. The 360 is just as awesome as the PS3 in its own way. I'm not streaming a "N" network to the PS3 like i am the 360 or watching full HDTV via the PS3.

Nor am i playing, uncharted on the 360..... they both have there perks, and there cons.... i wont go into them all here, hell Ive done that enough already.. point is, everyone needs to chill and enjoy life and stop being so damn angry.

Relax, enjoy life ..repeat and rinse...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  20. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Other than for a handful of games, i wouldnt bother getting a PS3. Its nearly great if you have mates around( i.e. if it doesnt want to update and all that nonsense when you switch it on ).

Ive only really held onto mine for FF13, i may sell it then. The only must have's i can see are( compared to whats already available on PC ):
    MGS4( great game )
    GT5( whenever it comes out )
    Uncharted 2( and 1 )
    Little Big Planet
    FF13
    Infamous

Of course there are more PS3 exclusives but they dont interest me so much and i wouldnt consider them must haves( note: MY TASTE :) ), games like Killzone 2, Resistence 2( great game but its quite a generic shooter ), Heavy Rain etc.

If you have mates around regularly then definately go for it, likewise if you have money burning in your wallet then go for it, other than that the only thing going for the PS3 are the exclusives and if you want to play BluRay movies.