Is it worth it? (Mobo swap)

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Perro del Mal!, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Perro del Mal!

Perro del Mal! Member

GPU:
    HD5770 Vapor-X Crossfire
    Hi, everyone. As you can see in my specs, I own an ASrock P43R 1600. Lately, I've been considering about upgrading to a better quality board, specifically the well known Gygabite P45-UD3P. And therein lies the conundrum...

Should I REALLY change my board? Considering that the replacement above mentioned will run me a pretty penny, and that so far my current one has given me no problems whatsoever, other than being unable to OC my Q9400 above 3.0 (although I'm not big on this overclocking thing, I would like to squeeze some more speed out of it).

Should I KEEP my board and spend the money in other upgrades? After all, I need another drive (running out of space real fast an' maybe try this RAID thingy. Hear it's all the rage!), an XBOX360 PC controller (for them games that happen not to be FPS) And so on and so forth.

Any comments, recommendations and downright honest answers will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009
  2. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    If you had a Q9550 or Q9650 I would say go for it but you are not going to squeeze that Q9400 a great deal more with the new board. You would need to improve your ram as well for higher clocks.

3. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    What O/S are you using and is it 32bit or 64bit?

I agree, the ram is on the slow side and it wouldn't hurt to use 4gb either.
    Exactly what type of memory do you have? What's the manufacturer identification for your system memory and the timings?

I suggest saving up more money to get a new motherboard/memory combination that can take advantage of your cpu.

Also it would be advantagous to use a 64 bit O/S like Windows 7 (not Vista).

Just me two cents.

Why can't you overclock past 3.0? It the memory holding you back or the heat?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  4. Nasgul

Nasgul Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 9800GTX 512MB 700/11
    I don't see why you would consider a new board........just for the sake of going higher than 3.0ghz? There's no need IMO. I'm at 3.15ghz and can go higher but I don't need to, I really wouldn't see the difference between 3.0ghz vs 3.60ghz, and "IF" there is? I'm sure it's really in numbers only.......because I haven't seen the difference from stock to OC in my case.....but nevertheless I keep mine at 3.15ghz.......and I'm using EIST, so when my CPU is not doing anything heavy, it runs at 2.10ghz but for when it needs to, jumps to 3.15ghz.

Keep your money and use it for something else. If I were you? I'd be considering something new in the next 3 years at least........

5. Hardware Killer

Hardware Killer Member Guru

GPU:
    7970 Lightning Quadfire
    Hang on to your cash , when you spend the money make sure it is a worthy upgrade, eg 50% faster platform.
    If you upgrade to a P45 now you will kick yourself later.

If you really need a boost in system performance by a solid state drive

Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
  6. Perro del Mal!

Perro del Mal! Member

GPU:
    HD5770 Vapor-X Crossfire
    Thanks for your replies. I´ve decided to keep my board. As a matter of fact, my rig is quite stable and fast enough for my needs. Other than the minor gripe of not being able to boot past 3.0, (not heat or memory related, I´m only aiming for 3.2 24/7), it has very decent performance and features.

Since we´re talking about a boost, and I´m buying another WD 500 GB, is a RAID 0 worth the hassle? I'm planning to install Win 7 64 also, would that give me a noticeable performance increase? Thanks again.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    RAID0 and RAID1 require harddrives with same specs. RAID1, if harddrives of different sizes are used, you will lose the difference between the smaller and larger harddrive...i.e.: 250gb and 500gb, you only get 250gb to use. RAID0 requires 2 matching drives.

8. Perro del Mal!

Perro del Mal! Member

GPU:
    HD5770 Vapor-X Crossfire
    That much I know. The thing is, having never used a RAID before, will I see a noticeable boost?

9. Perro del Mal!

Perro del Mal! Member

GPU:
    HD5770 Vapor-X Crossfire
    Guess I'll find out on my own!

10. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    I just typed the longest post about RAID0, quality CPU heatsink vs newer CPU with higher stock speed, when RAM upgrades actually help to increase performance at an OK bang for your buck ratio, and when just plain waiting for a drop in graphics card prices is killing you. Unfortunately my post went to "the world of unknown data loss" that exists somewhere between the boundaries of web pages and the Back button. Just as I hit Post Reply, some shenanigans conspired to make some weirdness happen with my login and I had not bothered to copy all my typing.

I will update this post by regularly editing it over the next hour. :)

Anyway if your motherboard supports onboard RAID, then two 250GB HDDs in RAID0 with a third HDD 500GB or larger (to store any important data on in case the RAID0 array fails due to a hardware mishap or Operating System catastrophe) would be one of the ways you could do it. RAID0 doubles the chance of drive failure as two HDDs are being used as one.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009