Is it worth buying Mass Effect?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Gorkle, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Gorkle

Gorkle Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra OC 768mb
    I have been looking for a new game that is a little different to the vast range of first-person shooters I'm used to.

Mass Effect seems to fit the bill. It looks excellent, but I've heard about a few problems with it, i.e. some fairly serious bugs and an inability to save your game except at particular points (a huge dealbreaker for me, since I get very tired of having to repeat myself in games).

Have any of these problems been fixed with patches? How playable is the game now?

2. kaazz

kaazz Master Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 8800GT 512mb
    Those problems you mentioned were an crack problem. It will 100% work without any bugs.
    I didn't like the game though, I only played it few mins <2 hours and left it on my PC.
    I can recommand a lot more amazing games that are different than the regular FPS games such as Fallout 3, Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge. These games were just fantastic, and no word about PoP, didn't dissapoint me.

3. Gorkle

Gorkle Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra OC 768mb
    Hmmm. I am torn between that, Gears of War or FEAR 2 for my next game. Just finished Bioshock and I'm looking for something a little different, although the FEAR 2 demo was good enough to convince me that it might be worth playing one more FPS.

I've never usually had the patience for long games like Mass Effect, but Bioshock kept me playing for a long time so I think I might be OK.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I picked up Mass Effect for £12 on the PC before Christmas having already completed this superb game on the Xbox 360, where - to be frank - it was a bit of a mess technically.

Needless to say, the PC versions looks and runs much better and you can force AA in this version too provided you're playing in Vista. Free of the texture pop in, jaggies and screen tearing on the 360 version, this game is just that much more enjoyable without the distracting glitches.

I'd recommend it highly if you're a fan of Babylon 5 (which this reminds me of a lot) and western RPGs in particular. The story is absolutely wonderful and the dialogue is very well-written as you'd expect from BioWare. Oh and the music is peachy too.

I've had no problems at all with this game in the time I've been playing it.

5. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If you like RPG's and sci-fi then its a must buy.
    For me, its definitely one of the best games I've played on a PC.

6. tausau

tausau Active Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800GTX
    Agreed with UnrealGaming, Mass Effect it's just epic, one of the best games I've ever played.

7. Gorkle

Gorkle Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra OC 768mb
    You guys have pretty much sold it to me. I might not last the whole game (like I say, I lack patience at times), but it's worth a try for £15.

Thanks guys. Gotta love this forum.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    why not play an Adventure game? if you want something different and you've got some brain grey matter perhaps you should buy an adventure game.

Chronicles Of Mystery is excellent, so is Nibiru (if you liked Broken Sword this one is just as good), if you like horror then Lost Crown Ghost Hunting Adventure will keep you awake at night and well hooked. :cool:

imo Mass Effect is an ok game which looks great but the gameplay is so-so, i'd recommend it with reservation.

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX
    for me its the only sci-fi game that i played (i mean not getting bored in 2minutes) on my life.

one of the greatest games of 2008, and the ending its epic.

Imo much better than fallout3 (i dislike the ambient xP), prince of persia and mirrors edge (well i just dislike this last, PoP is just idk... i love hack and slash PoP, not this one...)

10. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    First time I got my hands on Mass Effect, I played it till 6 o'clock in the morning and once I got some sleep continued to play. I think I finished it like 8 times or so. Very good game, very nice graphics, interesting story, new dialog system. All in all, a quite epic game really.

Some people actually complain about it being too short, but for me it was alright, altough not as long as NWN2, damn that was some long ass game.

Actually I didn't have any issues with cracked version of it.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Lol, I picked up my PC copy for £4.99 from a Zavvi clearout sale after finishing it on the 360 (which I thought looked very good already). The PC version is better though, better graphics and better performance and interface. All in all it's a must have game if you like a little space adventure RPG. The storyline is gripping, the acting is the best I've ever seen and the atmosphere is dense! GOTY 2008 for me.

12. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    wheres the cheapest place i can buy this game for pc really wanna play it
    ?? !!

looked on PB but cant find a good version which doesn't have virus also no one seeding .

13. mudkips

mudkips Active Member

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX
    If you have played any Bioware games, especially the 3d ones, its just that with a space theme. Its good but nothing special IMO, but I have played quite a few Bioware games and this is near the middle of the list as far as their games go.

Part of the problem is the half ass planet exploring beyond the main quest, all the planets are cookie cutter with cookie cutter objectives, no real side content at all which disappointed me.

But by all means its a good game and worth a play through if you like Bioware RPGs.

14. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    Knights of the old republic is my favourite rpg of all time. that's why i want mass effect.

15. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    It has its issues (BAD AI, gets repetitive), but fun nontheless. The PC version has a quicksave feature (only when out of combat/no enemies around), so saving isn't usually an issue.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I just find a hack for Baldur's Gate 2 that should allow widescreen resolutions. Apparently it works with 1680x1050. I've been looking for my BG2 box all day and can't find it!!! Ooooh! It's annoying.

17. Unstable_Hero

Unstable_Hero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    very true, besides a few side quests, after the main quest theres not much else to do, but the main quest is longish and so amazing/epic, that more than makes up for it, oh and btw your save games from mass effect 1 will work for mass effect 2, how exactly isn't being told just yet....

I just recently started playin it again cause I hear there is some big patch coming soon.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  18. Gorkle

Gorkle Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 Ultra OC 768mb
    I ordered this game yesterday, can't wait to play it. I keep watching the HD review on Gametrailers which makes it look very good indeed!

Gutted I didn't visit Zavvi before it closed and spot the £4.99 sale price!

19. cjs007

cjs007 Maha Guru

GPU:
    E.V.G.A. 460 / 1gig
    Mass Effect is better than Fallout 3, plain and simple!
    Fallout is like Oblivion and you just get bored after 50 hours of play.
    But Mass Effect is set up better and has a lot better story.
    After playing both games for 100's of hours i liked Mass Effect better.

How cool is it to play a game that lets you feel like Captain Kirk of the Star Ship Enterprise?:wanker:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  20. NiukNiuk

NiukNiuk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R6950 twin frozr II
    This game has some problems/weaknesses (graphics/shadow bugs, planet exploration wich is very repetitive, messy interface, audio bugs with several cards etc etc), but if you love sci-fi, you'll love it.
    The story is really cool imo (though the "best part" is to read every piece of info you collect through your journal), and as said before its ending is absolutely epic.
    And you can finish it a second time with your character, to get the best armors/weapons...oh and its savegame will have a use in mass effect 2 :)