Is it true a soundcard on a motherbaord can increase FPS in games???

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Drunkenmasta, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    lol read my stats. I do have 5.1

I am only going by what the posts have been saying. :confused: I love sound and hope to get the best sound for my money that's all.

Thanks

pz out

Last edited: May 3, 2005
  2. raptorjb007

raptorjb007 Member

GPU:
    Geforce 6600 GT 128mb
    Well, while it is possible that a soundblaster could reduce fps(very slightly) it is my best guess to assume that this is due to the greater amount of sound effects processing that goes on givin all the added effects and features that enrich the sound evironment. On-boards do have a bandwidth advantage in that they are on the system bus, but its typical for these on-board sound systems to either share cpu cycles(a2zs uses its own processor on the card) and they also typically sport reduced support for special sound effects(ie EAX2 versus EAX4).

The on-board sound is suffiecent for most uses, but everything just sounds better with a sound blaster. Bigger bass, sharper treble, and of coarse that wonderfull top-end EAX support.

3. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Definately! I agree. No matter what, I am going to get a soundcard. Onboard just sucks ass lol.

Thanks

pz out

4. livingsacrifice

livingsacrifice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX SC ATX
    I gained about 35 marks in 3dmark01 because of having the Sound Blaster compared to onboard sound

5. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    I've noticed a lot of on-board audio does not support something as simple as 60 channels while browsing Futuremark's ORB, and 60 Channels is noticibly more realistic even with my crappy speakers and hearing. I'm happy with my Audigy2 that supports this and more. If you are lucky and have SoundStorm, you might as well stick with it, it's very decent, but if you're stuck on a Realtek codec or similar, I'd suggest getting a separate card like I did.

6. livingsacrifice

livingsacrifice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 GTX SC ATX
    Thats what I had, soundstorm, but just got the Audigy 2 Platinum EX and I notice a huge sound quality difference.

7. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    with the alc850 and alc880 series, they arent too far off from the audigy. sure there is no EAX and you might lose a few frames here and there, but with a nice beastly machine, its all chedda. besides, there are not as many games as there used to be using eax.

hl2 and doom 3 use a CPU based sound engine, so even with a sound card you are having your cpu do all the work.

8. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Really? So what if you have an Audigy? The audio comes from the CPU? Not the APU? I find that hard to believe (in latest 3DGames). I mean, sure onboard would use CPU, but if you have a soundcard I'm sure they would tweak latest 3D games to find an APU and use that instead if using all CPU. What's the point of having a good soundcard then?

You need as much CPU as you can since many of them bottleneck (some a little some alot depending on age of CPU) GPUs. It would be crazy to lower a performance of a game by using CPU if you have already a seperate APU. The only sounds that would be created by CPU are the ones that can't be done by the APU which isn't much at all.

That's what I think anyway, what does everyone else think?

Thanks!

pz out

9. DarkDimka

DarkDimka Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 460GTX 1GB
    I don't understand why on board sound *HAS TO* use your Processor? didn't check that out but it isn't all that hard for the manufacturers to install it's own SPU (SPU - sound processing unit... lol made it up right now), Don't be so close minded...

10. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    If you don't think that sound takes up any CPU then take your own advice bro...read on below man.

With SPU I'm sure you mean APU (Audio Processing Unit). Since onboard don't have one of these than it has to use CPU, how else could it process sound? Ever heard of a motherboard with onbaord sound having a seperate APU on it by Creative? Doesn't exist neither does any other seperate APU's onboard (ONLY exception is nForce, Nvidia Soundstorm). It has the transistors for sound but not APU.

Look at the first post that Hilbert Hagedoorn posted about diff soundcards and there are many different cards that affect GPU performance. The only onboard with APU seems to give out best frames because it DOESN'T use CPU which is the Nvidia Soundstorm, it has it's own APU onboard in the nForce chipset.

If anyone wants to add or clarify anything go ahead!

;)

Thanks

pz out

Last edited: May 8, 2005

11. Inego

Inego Active Member

GPU:
    POV GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92
    On-board sound uses very few of CPU resources so there is no doubt on it.
    If your game runs on common 40-60 fps it is funny to hear about 1 or 2 fps lost, sure the game will run smoothly, but if games run 25 fps or less then you should think of buying a new video card but not a sound card lol :)

12. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    For sure! Depending on what CPU you have that is. If you were running a P4 EE or FX-55 you would have no worries about running onboard sound and FPS loss. However for people in my case it's a different story >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks

pz out

13. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    an audigy is added to prevent the cpu from having to process sound. like everyone is saying.. on a faster pc, it doesnt matter too much only cause the cpu has a few cycles to spare.

with the alc850, or alc880, the sound quality is good. the lower onesa rent too great though.

get an audigy if..

a. alc655 or any other onboard sound
    b. you have a slowe machine (athlon 64 3000+ or lower)

14. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    what if the onboard is use for simple stereo sounds not 3d ones would it be on par with the soundcards ? i mean without using 2.1 stereo and generic without all those 3d sounds and eax...with everything off would it perform on par with soundcards ?

15. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Purely guessing, I reckon the soundcard (providing it has an APU :p) would still be more beneficial towards better sounds and FPS. When I put my onboard to 5.1 I get no loss at all in FPS, so I'm guessing that yes the soundcard would still help because when I get my Audigy2 ZS the onboard sound won't be enabled and it gives that ltitle bit extra for the games, even in 2.1 (so it seems for me anyway). But with EAX etc... you would see and hear it perform at it's peak that for sure!

Thanks

pz out

16. nabelon

nabelon Maha Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor Radeon HD 4850
    what bout azalia codec is it any better than ac 97 ?

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega56 8GB
    Would it be better to use a PCI AC '97 soundcard than an onboard version?

18. Inego

Inego Active Member

GPU:
    POV GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92
    No ! IMXO.
    But I am sure :D

19. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Probably depending on how old the PCI AC '97 is. If motherboard is like 2003 or newer I'd say don't worry about it. But if it's an Audigy well, read previous posts and you'll get your answer :p

pz out

20. Zoomy942

Zoomy942 Member Guru

GPU:
    6800 GT
    azailia is intel's high definition audio. the chip it uses is the realtek alc880. like eeryone says, if your machine is newer, and you havr realtek alc850/880 then skip the audigy if money is tight.