Is it true a soundcard on a motherbaord can increase FPS in games???

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by Drunkenmasta, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Hi,

I was touching up on the Audigy4 preview and I noticed Hilbert mentioning having a soundcard and as opposed to on-board it increases FPS in games!!!

If so, does anyone know by how much or the % increase??

Thanks

pz

2. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    It can. Onboard audio uses the CPU to do whatever, compared to an addon card that has its own processor... Perhaps somebody else can explain more.

3. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"

yeah perhaps.....:(

4. Firefox_1

Firefox_1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800 GT 512 MB
    Yes, onboard sound uses up valuable CPU cycles, so of course a card which processes the sound itself will save CPU power, therefore giving more performance. There is no exact % increase/decrease, I'd assume it is different for all types of CPUs and different types of onboard sound solutions.

5. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Most onboard sounds are just enough to output the sounds, but the sound mixing itself is done by the processor and utilizes quite a bit of cpu depending on what you're doing, probably only 1-5% listening to music or general windows use, but can be 5-15% playing games or even 15-25% playing with 3d effects in games. Getting a sound card with it's own sound processor (sblive and up for creative cards have their own DSPs) can lower this usage dramatically.. listening to music down to 1% or less and games 4-8% / 8-15% or so with 3d effects.

It's not a HUGE difference, but it can be 5-15fps in some games, especially if you love cranking up the sound quality and 3d effects.

These are just estimated usages, it totally depends on your onboard sound and the games you're playing, and ofcourse your processor.. try benchmarking games with sound on and sound off, and look at the fps difference.. then cut that loss down to 2/3 and that's roughly what you would have with a good soundcard.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  6. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    of course it's true. it saves your CPU from some nasty processes when 3D sound and hi-quality sound is used in games. some people have reported gains of up to 20fps in games. I don't know the difference because I haven't used onboard sound for more than 4 years.

7. Dr. Vodka

Dr. Vodka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X
    then the audigy 2/4 can be called an "APU", Audio Processing Unit.

8. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    LoL, I guess so.

9. mykledw

mykledw Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080
    Ok, then I have a question for your peeps.......If i put my Sblaster live value in on my DFI Lanparty UT 250Gb would I see a diff or will it be negligable at this point??

10. Pepperoni7

Pepperoni7 Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB +Thermalright V2
    You can test around about how much FPS you will gain by going into the bios and disabling the onboard audio controller and doing some benchmarking.

11. mykledw

mykledw Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX GT 2080

Meh, not a bad idea....I think I will try that tonight when I get the bastard back up and running.....:rolleyes: this rig is fighting with me on the settings so I gotta mess with it some more......I hate having to reset the bios, there has to be an easier way!!!:mad:

12. Elanzer

Elanzer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 @ 325/580 (3.6ns hynix..)
    Chances are the sb live will utilize less cpu.. but them again if you just have a plain sb live it won't have 7.1, nevermind 5.1 even. It'd be limited to a 4.1 setup.

13. NvidiaFreak

NvidiaFreak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 7660D
    yes having a soundcard on your pc give u increase, in splinter cell i get 18 fps more and other games as well but only if the game use EAX HD only.

14. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Well, it seems the sound card from SB Live! and up would be much better and use less CPU than having onboard, so ya.

15. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Right thanks guyz, I'll check it out :D I am thinking of getting a SB Live! 5.1 90 dB. ;)

pz

16. buddee

buddee Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 7900 GTX
    audigy 2 only give u eax 4 or 3 effects , 7.1 chaanel, i get more good fps with onboard sound rater than audigh 2 zs.

17. Stech

Stech Master Guru

GPU:
    His 3850
    yes there is hardly any difference except for 1-3 fps

18. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    I'll disable the audio and see what diff there is and post my results through FRAPS. Thanks

pz

19. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    your not gonna get a major increase anyway, when you use EAX you have to expect a drop in framerate womewhat as it's alot of processing. The Game is accessing the API and dynamically changing reverb/delay settings..especially in EAX4 with the multi audio environment rendering would be pretty taxing....

20. Drunkenmasta

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yeah, well I'm still guessing with an APU it must help the CPU, just like how a graphic card is a opposed to on-board, but in this case it's audio.

btw, I didn't manage to disable sound in my BIOS, I couldn't find it :( Anyone know what it would be titled as?

Thanks

pz