Is it time to move over to windows 11?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by darrenj, Jan 24, 2022.

1. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Hey
    Simple stupid question
    As a gamer and overclocker that changes components often is it time yet to move over to Win11?
    I see that Guruof3D has a massive discount special on Win11 pro on the website

My System
    Win10 pro
    Gigabyte Aoros pro X570
    32 gigs Gskill 3600mhz ram
    AMD 5800X
    Asus Tuf 3080ti
    Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB
    Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB

vestibule likes this.
  2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Hi, i switched shortly after my upgrade was available and its working fine for me, sure i miss the links tab on the task bar but apart from that it feels the same, maybe subtle changes here and there but nothing big.

darrenj likes this.
  3. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I switched over when the AMD 5XXX CPU bug was patched and W11 is so similar to W10 that you'll mostly not see or feel the difference.

HARDRESET and darrenj like this.
  4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It really comes down to personal preference, thankfully they make it really easy to go back to Windows 10 if you end up not liking the changes made in 11.... which there are a lot, of changes... to basic normal things that you would see as just normal things that windows has that for some reason have been changed to be less functional for no reason.

HARDRESET likes this.

5. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    It is about the same. Have some problems with VR, but nothing that cannot be fixed. Dunno what with crippled AMDs performance versus w10, some say it is fixed, saw some benches that say otherwise.
    And yea, UI changes kinda suck sometimes. Just make backup in case revert to w10.

6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Windows 11 is superior to windows 10 quite some time now. It's ready.

7. I have an NVMe SSD, and 11 a few days ago felt like a HDD; it's just so slow. I could possibly tolerate that, if there was some benefit. 11 still offers nothing worthwhile for my usage.

I'd say try 11 out, but also make sure to have an install image for 10 lying around too in-case you need to fallback to it. It's still nowhere near ready for my usage, and I found ME, Vista, and 8 a cakewalk to switch to immediately.

I've done no benchmarks personally to see the numbers, but there's apparently some widespread issue with NVMe performance being bad on 11 currently: https://redd.it/s1oueg

There's also still reports about AMD CPU cache performance being inconsistent

Edit: Also a report about TPM on AMD being enabled (requirement of 11) causing stutter: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows11/comments/sccict/amd_ftpm_causes_random_stuttering_issue/

Honestly I see no benefit to 11 to even gamble with those issues, as those problems would be in the back of my mind at all times at any unexpected performance problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2022
  8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Launch was a bit rough, but now its fine and has a lot of improvements over W10. Games open faster, ALT+TABBING is way faster and seems to work a lot more, other general under the hood improvements with better multithreaded performance, memory management, better security and more frequent updates. W10 is (or already has) moved to 1 update per year rather than the quartly/biannually updates it used too get.

EDIT:

Only if Linux could sort out its software support. Game support has been a big upgrade with proton and DXVK but something needs to be implemented for .exe software as well. And the whole experience needs improving to be more fluid and easier for the average user. If they can sort this out I would switch immediately to Linux. Currently I dual boot Mint and W11.

386SX and reslore like this.
  9. reslore

reslore Member Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 7800 XT
    I like Linux so much more than Windows, currently using Windows 11 but been thinking about going back to Kubuntu.

Games I do play run fine on Linux, apart from League of Legends, starting to burn out on that again however, so it might be time to go back.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Which problems do you have with VR and which headset do you use?
    For my setup, VR seems to work better in Windows 11 than 10 (I have a HP Reverb G2 Windows Mixed Reality Headset).

11. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 4090 X3
    same, ie Reverb G2. Was loosing tracking or no tracking at all at some point. Clearing environment data wasn't helping, but erasing "The Motion Controller calibration cache" did the trick.
    And all situation was weird, as it was just update from w10, where all was working perfectly.
    And saw on reddit or so some posts, some ppl have more problems than me, so it not gut enough for everyone for sure.

12. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    im testing using windowss server 2019 converted to workstation in my pc

for now I'm enjoying it very fast management and ram memory and well optimized cpu

[​IMG]

13. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    For sure a learning curve, was for me and after being a windows insider , on 10 and 11, you will or someone will always have issues , that's the nature of the beast , it comes down to you and what your doing , for a job , stay with what you know , its bad enough ,there will still be issues , reason for support , especially at work !
    that being said , I have two PC systems , if you thrive on fixing stuff , its a fun hobby .

14. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    You shouldn't need to buy a key if you already have Windows 10. You should just be able to download the iso from Microsoft and do an upgrade and it'll absorb your Windows 10 key. You can get the Windows 11 ISO here.

Undying likes this.
  15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    let the guinea pigs do the guinea pigs. I always wait at least 1 year before any software major upgrade.. when I can..

darrenj likes this.

16. darrenj

darrenj Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090
    Informative thread. As usual thanx much bunch

tensai28 likes this.
  17. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    W11 is not for me just yet. I will wait until android apps become available in the app store and specifically it will be Onkyo player.

jack98 likes this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Could you try to activate W11 using a legit W7/8.1 key?
    I used a 8.1 Pro key to activate W10 on a work laptop. Wonder if W11 uses the same activation method/server.

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I have it installed day one on fairly old now 2018 ryzen desktop system and it has running stable. Had not noticed any latency, stuttering or any other issue. W10 pro key used to activate W11 pro.

Then i bought used laptop 8gen intel i7 and decided to install it, oh boy it was running sluggish, had few bsod becous nvidia driver crapped out and for some reason eac anti cheat stopped working. Could not play anything online. Went back to w10 everything returned to normal.

20. Ormy

Ormy Active Member

GPU:
    3080Ti 12GB
    Microsoft have shown themselves to be super hostile to their users, each OS is worse than the last in terms of not giving the user full control of the hardware they bought and respecting user privacy. For that reason I always leave each OS upgrade as late as possible. Two years ago I was happily running windows 7 and the ONLY reason I moved to win10 is so I could play DX12 games. The day that a majority of AAA games run on Linux with comparable performance to windows is the day I say good riddance to microsoft forever.