Is it safe to buy AMD R290 now?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MTSeldon, Apr 17, 2014.

1. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Don't buy . I'm looking for gtx780 ti right now. Getting too much trouble with games. Some will work fine while others will just crash. The games load fine but soon as it goes to 3d mode it crash to black screen and sound loop. Tried all kinds of things still same. Only thing I haven't tried is going back to Windows 7.

2. winningsince133

winningsince133 Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290 Reference
    What games? You might just have a bad card which happens sometimes with either nvidia or amd... Try an RMA

3. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    That's the thing. I can't seem to narrow it down to either the card or drivers or what ever. I can bench card with 3dmark or furmark for 24 hours with no problems. It seems that all AMD evolved titles work with no problems. I can't run games like Alien Rage or Wartime it just crashes when on load. Also with crashes it has to be HARD SHUT down to get display back and reset will not do it.

4. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Over the last week or so the 290 prices have really been plumeting. The Sapphire Tri-x went from 479 to 429. I'll probably grab a Vapor-X once newegg gets them back in stock.

5. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    the black screen issue isn't specific to r290's my r280 had the same thing on first install.

6. Del_Boy

Del_Boy Banned

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 (2560x1600)
    I have msi twin frozer thingy, idle temps are 42* up to 80* under stress if that helps.

7. cookiebun

cookiebun Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X
    I have just installed my 4GB Sapphire Radeon R9 290 Tri X OC, with 14.4 beta drivers and so far no problems, I am playing Battlefield 4 on Ultra at 74*

8. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    I'm still waiting for the Sapphire R290 Vapor X . I can't find any review of it in respected hardware sites. Isn't the card out already?

9. Trolso

Trolso Member

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-x 4GB

I received today my vapor-x and works like a ****ing charm, you have a review in kitguru

61º in games with 40% fan speed and stock clocks, i can reach without problems 1250 (now im going to test)

10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ^ Looks a cracker that Vapor-X, enjoy. :)

Black screens were a major issue when they were first released, but i don't think its much of an issue now, was mainly the early ones, so id say its safe to get one now, especially a custom, reference ones run way to hot, and their coolers are terrible.

11. main_shoby

main_shoby Maha Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Qnix 2710 96Hz
    besides the price difference between 780ti and 290/x, 780ti SLI dont scale as good as 290/x :/ (in my opinion)

12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I find this to be true,crossfire scales better,but not in all games.
    Thief for example single card AMD wins,SLI/Crossfire SLI killed it.

Some single card runs from same machine.R9 290 still slight edge
    R9 290
    AMD Radeon R9 290 video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,MSI Z77A-GD65 (MS-7751)

780Ti
    MSI 780Ti video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-3770K Processor,MSI Z77A-GD65 (MS-7751)

13. Trolso

Trolso Member

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-x 4GB
    Very impressed with the Vapor-X

Never pass 55º when playing BF4 ultra (1600p) 50% fan profile, realy cooler.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  14. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I picked up the 290 Vapor-X as well, really enjoying it so far. With the stock fan settings I'm seeing 70-70c in BF4 at 40% fan speed (to be fair, it's been a very hot week here so ambients are higher than normal). I still can't hear it over my case fans at that speed so I'm going to play with afterburner a bit.

I'm pretty impressed with some of the innovations on this card, particularly the way they extended the copper layer of the PCB to attach the heat sink directly to it, and the way the two outside fans shut down at lower temps.

Looks great with the light-up logo as well.

15. keromyaou

keromyaou Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 XC3 Ul
    I suggest you to follow this link (http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll). There have been many discussions about the black screen issue about this card. Some seems to own Sapphire Tri-X (which I think is among the best R9 290x) but still have black screen problems. I don't know how prevalent the black screen issues are. But I still think that it would be a bit of gamble to buy R9 290x even now.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Dunno if you guys know this but a little while back Sapphire released a 290/290X which integrates Vapor-X wick technology and Tri-X HS/F setup.

The 290X is called 290X Vapor-X Tri-X OC, I shlt you not. :D

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Well I have owned 4 R9 290 cards so far,none have or had a black screen issue for me.All cards have problems with some people and its not only AMD.

Nvidia forms only 21 pages long with a black screen problem
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/...issue-after-driver-update-updated-1-23-14-/1/

But I still think that it would be a bit of gamble to buy a Nvidia card,
    see how silly this sounds

18. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X

That is the Vapor-X that I and Trolso were referring to just getting. It was just released maybe a month ago or so.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/present...d=1&gid=3&sgid=1227&pid=2167&psn=000101&lid=1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]