Is It Possible To Run Latest NVIDIA Drivers On A Legacy Card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mulsiphix, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    I just bought EA's Star Wars for PC. Installed it and I'm getting an error saying the minimum driver version is 358.xx and I'm using 341.92. I just found out that NVIDIA won't be releasing anymore updated drivers for my GTX 260. Is there anyway that I can run the 358.xx drivers so I can play this game or do I have to buy a new card? I mean that is the plan for the future but I just can't afford it right now :wanker:.

2. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
  3. Nastya

Nastya Member Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2080 Ti OC
    There would be absolutely no point to it. A Geforce 260 would be able to display a slide show at best. Looking at the rest of your rig, I don't think you'll be able to play it with a new GPU alone.

4. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    do you mean StarWars Battlefront? if yes ,then no even if you can mod the driver to install it on you rig the game doesn't support DX 10 GPUs

5. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The game requires a GPU supporting at least feature level 11_0, whereas GTX 260 is feature level 10_0

The good news however is that if you're prepared to upgrade, the GTX 260 has gotten so old that any modern gaming GPU is much better, both in horsepower, features and power consumption

6. CrazyGenio

CrazyGenio Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi rtx 2080ti trio
    lol the upgrade is obvious i had a ati 4890 for 7 years until the release of maxwell 980, was a nice card but when you need to upgrade, you just upgrade or buy a console

7. Mulsiphix

Mulsiphix Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeFrc 260 /Samsung 226BW
    Uggg. Awful news but thank you very much for all of the feedback guys =\

8. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    Seriously, you're going to need more RAM too, besides a newer graphics card. You would probably need another CPU too.
    You should be able to get a Quad CPU, GFX card and 8G+ of RAM pretty cheap 2nd hand :)

9. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Trying to attain 8gb RAM is highly problematic/unstable on almost all S775 boards, unless you buy high quality ram and/or drop the speed/timings.

Dual Core is way behind the times for any serious gaming needs. Need a Q9450+ on the cheap as well as having larger caches and more cores. On some games it's almost double the fps.

Improve the ram to 4-6gb in dual channel, the cpu to a decent quad, and drop in a DX11 card like something from the 500 series and you should be set to play without having to swap motherboards.

Don't go any higher than 500 series or you'll have too much card and not enough cpu to keep up on S775 as the ram and old FSB/northbridge is a limiting factor.

I have a GTX 295 on S775 also and it's also now very useless for games, because unlike before now the games are DX11 exclusive instead of optional like before, got tired of constantly missing out so I had to bite the bullet and get a gtx 570 in order to play stuff like F1 2015 at ALL.

When paired with my Q9650 it's more than adequate for the modern stuff, wiithout having to buy a whole new system from scratch and beats my gtx 295 in performance which is multiple Dx10 card as well.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  10. Sildur

Sildur Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 4GB (1555/7400)
    The xeon mod could be pretty useful here, but I'm not sure if it works on that MB.

11. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Ditch the motherboard and CPU, you'll be CPU bound with any modern mid to low end GPU. 270x would be too much.

Get a 3770k and 2x8GB 2400MHz ram, 2400MHz will put you in the same range as haswell and skylake. Getting 16GB will give you a 5fps boost.

Seriously though, if you get 1600MHz ram, I'll slap you. The difference is significant in modern titles, GTAV Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4, etc. Price difference is almost nothing. Extremely cheap right now.

This video really illustrates the bang for buck you get with a 2400MHz and 3770k+ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ
    (comparing against 2500k, Haswell, etc)

IMO a 4790k is the ideal CPU right now for price to performance as it will OC better than the 3770k and has more serious OC options. But that's probably out of budget anyway and if you aren't a serious overclocker it might not matter to you. Multiplier control on the northbridge and VD-t (run two OSs at once), better temps/power usage, and more on die voltage regulation are some differences with Haswell Refresh aka Devils canyon (4**9k).

GPU:Buy a used Gigabyte 970 G1 for ~$240, I'll mod the bios for you to get 1500MHz+/4000MHz. aka close to 18% perf boost over reference. G1 has the best power delivery of them all, OC's best on average with modded bios. MSI gaming is a close second.

Pick a motherboard with 8 phases, it makes a massive difference on OC potential/voltage required and stability. Asus Z97 Maximus VIIHero/Gene/Impact are top of the line. Gigabyte has some good models. Most other MB brands are sh'it when it comes to VRMs.

See here to help make choices: http://sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png
    List is really dated at this point, not all Z97 models are on there, MSI Gaming for instance isn't on there but it's not 8 phases, it's 6+2.

Buy from reddit.com/r/hardwareswap for cheapest prices and best deals. Check craigslist, Amazon, and ebay too. Nothing wrong with used, you're just getting more power for your money. Sell your old stuff to help! Most profit made on amazon. Easiest sales on hardwareswap, get screwed by ebay & paypal, take you pick. :)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  12. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Yes, buy an Ivy Bridge so that you have no upgrade path whatsoever. Great advice.

Stop propagating garbage or post links to legit RAM benchmarks.

I can tell from this you're new. Best price to performance ratio over the 4690k? For slightly higher clocks and hyperthreading?

So now you recommend an LGA 1150 motherboard. This is going well. And you want him to get a "top of the line" one as well, which is a total waste of money for gaming AND OCing.

13. yobooh

yobooh Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1 @1500mhz
    Just buy 2* hand Kepler card, here in italy with 50-100€ you can afford a 660, 660ti or a 760 easily. I think that they will cap your Pc performance. (prefer NVIDIA over AMD, cause AMD performance are more CPU dependant)
    Next update will be a 775 quad core and 8GB ram...
    I think with 100-150€ you can greatly improve your pc for gaming

14. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    you will need some hardware upgrade first

15. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    My dad has an old laptop that he upgraded to Windows 10 and there's no driver for it. It's a legacy GPU, don't remember which one, but we even had trouble finding a working NVIDIA laptop driver for Windows 7 before it went legacy. LaptopVideo2Go didn't work even with the modded infs.

If I could find a working driver with the hardware id, he could get the Windows 10 upgrade out of the way. He just needs it for Facebook and Skype anyway.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070/ RX580/ 780Ti
    My advice (if you can't go new) is to get a used system/parts to upgrade. For 2-3 hundred, you can make your system substantially faster at gaming.

For instance, I saw an i7 2600K w/ a decent motherboard and 8GB of ram selling for $220 on craigslist last week. It's 2010 tech but it's leaps and bounds faster than a core 2 duo (I had a nearly identical rig to yours, years ago). Even an i3 based setup (Sandy Bridge or newer) would also be a huge upgrade.

GPU-wise, you can get a used HD7850 , GTX560Ti (etc, etc) for about $40-$50.

You can do better than ^that^ but just saying, there are some cheap upgrade paths to get you playing Battlefront.