Is it possible that 512 of RAM can be slown me down alot on counterstrike source?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by sopot, Aug 13, 2005.

1. sopot

sopot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GS
    Hey guys i have a new pc with all new parts. And when i was playing counterstrike source things will like stutter and when something big or something is alot happening my pc slows down. I know its deffently a hardware problem. i think its the RAM because 512 of RAm is to slow to run half life /counterstrike source.

2. sopot

sopot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GS
    i also need to know how much improvements i will see when i buy another same 512 of RAM ( = 1 gig of RAM) and will it smooth out my gameplay with games like battle field 2 and half life 2.

3. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    It depends on which map you're playing. If you're playing a huge map, lots of ram is highly recommended, but when you're playing only small maps, it shouldn't be a problem.

But 1gigs of mem is becoming mainstream now and i know for myself that an extra 512mb stick helps alot. You can count on that. ;)

Btw, never heard of an Athlon 2900+ before. :)

4. chukb

chukb Member

GPU:
    BFG 6800 Ultra 256 OC agp
    512 ram is not enough for any new game.. dont ever think that it is.. you should get a pretty good performance upgrade if you get 512 more ram especially if your mobo supports dual channel.. good luck with it

5. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    Well, if you can run the memory you have now at least CL 2, or timings 2-2-2-5, 2-3-2-6, these are good quick timing to get the latency out of your gaming. (this does help) and as far as 512 mem, you run source with no problem at all. All you have to do is make sure that you have no backround programs running, and in CS:S graphic setting youll need to set everything on LOW, The lower the setting the less memory is used for textures and small things like that. Your video card will use up all its 128 mb of mem, then the aperature will take up the rest thats needed, thats why you want fast memory. And sheck and make sure that your AGP aperature size is at 256 should be ok for a stick of 512, as long as you dont have your computer loaded with memory sucking programs. Dont bother overclocking your vid card to aid in better source performance, even though there is a difference you wont feel any.

6. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    source games hate my notebook at 512MB
    Just got a second 512mb stick
    night and day

7. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    But of course 1 gig of ram will run SMOOOTH and can handle the game with all setting on high. But ask yourself if your videocard and cpu can handle it. If you upgrade to 1 gig this will not fix the so called slowdowns that happen during big action fights. Look at my system specs. I get slowdowns in big action fights too. Yes its very annoying, this is the real reason why I hate the game so much. How do you enjoy a game that slows in a fight only for you to die?

edit: the only way I can play the game smooth with no slowdowns is: I put all setting on low except texture detail=medium, AA 4x, and Aniso 8x. I notice that a big cause in slowdowns is the Model detail, set this on low, If I want my model detail on HIGH, then I can only play in a server of no more than 12 ppl to play SMOOTH, So if I set it to low I can play in bigger servers of like 32 and still maintain a smooth expierience. I know there are more specific commands you can type in console to greatly improve performance, but I just have everything on defaults.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  8. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

when i went fron 512 to 1024 css ran smoother and when i went upto 1.5Gb saw little improvement from 1Gb, well in css that is. Bf2 really like the extra ram tho

9. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    he should be able more than handle source at decent settings, esp with 1GB.

10. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

well i have a XP2200@2.112 and 6600gt@ 606/1164 and i run scc @1152x864 highest settings,2xaa,2xaf and image quality set to quality in nvidia control panel and its running smooth here. I get minor slowdowns under heavy battle like running thru 2smokes when a he goes off while shooting and being shot at with 5 corpses on the ground then it will get a lil slow but nothing major, can still play in 64player servers with no issues

11. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    OMG!!!! do I have to repeat myself!!!! His CPU AND VIDEOCARD are still limiting his game performace he will STILL GET SLOWDOWNS!!!! yes the 1gig will help alot, not enough though.

12. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640

according to waht your setting are at, your definition of smooth is 30-40 fps in big fights.

13. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

lmao calm down dude was just saying it will run smooth 90% of the time

14. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    Sorry I didn't mention this, but my definition of smooth is at least 55-60 fps at the lowest. I usually stay in the 80-90, but when in large people battles it gets to 50ish.

15. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

well i avg 45-55 and prbly like 20-30 under heavy load, but still no need to blow up man

16. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    oky doky there ya go 20-30 fps in big fights(heavy load), I bet you die all the time lol

17. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

lol no i pwn and thats under BIG fights, not as soon as i shoot. n-e-ways lets stop ranting i think he will get the pont...:)

18. Kamijaza

Kamijaza Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts 640
    Pawn? ok :) yes I pretty sure sopot got the pont.

19. sopot

sopot Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6800 GS
    thanks i really appritiate it