Is it ok to run 3d clocks 24/7?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Logic Zero, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Maha Guru

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    As in title, i know it is speeds, voltages, temps and something else that degrade the life span of a cpu or gpu, but does it really matter if i run my card @ 3d clocks all the time? Im using atitool so the voltages are 24/7 already, just interested to see if the clocks (700/1600) will make any significant reduction in card life.

Thx

2. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I would say no. Even though the clock speeds are up, there is still very little load in 2d windows. It's the load that causes the extra heat, and that is the main factor in reduced life.

With that said, I personally wouldn't do it to my card...

3. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    I had this question back when I had my 9800XT. I was using ATT to keep it at 2d clocks in windows and 3d in games and it still lives (in a friends computer) till this day. Once I got my X850XT it didn't seem to work with the clock switching so I haven't done it. I run at full speed all day but with proper cooling on all accounts of course. Personally, I don't think you would be able to if it was going to pose a serious threat.

4. Sparx

Sparx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Can I ask why you would want to do that by the way?

5. BlueStinger

BlueStinger Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon X1950XT 256mb
    The 3D clocks will only run like that during 3D apps so unless you're gaming 24/7 then it won't matter anyway. Just make sure you leave the 2D clocks @ stock.

CPU's will run @ overclocked speeds all the time however. So alsong as it's not running hot @ idle that won't matter either.

6. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Maha Guru

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Sorry i think you missed my point. Im asking about running "3d" clocks all the time so tehre is no 2d and 3d stuff, just one set of clocks for 24/7 usage.

The reason i want it like this is i have had a few glitches and corruption when switching back down to 2d from 3d when there are lots of apps running the background.

7. BlueStinger

BlueStinger Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon X1950XT 256mb
    Oh i see, sorry yeah i did miss your point.

Well i'm not sure about GPU's but i know that CPU speed shifts can and do cause problems in some apps. That's why it's always worth switching off Cool 'n' Quiet when using an Athlon 64 for overclocking.

I know you don't have an AMD CPU but maybe that's what happening with your GPU clocks? What apps is it happening with?
    However i don't recommend keeping a highly overclocked card running that way in windows.

8. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Maha Guru

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    It happens when exiting most games to a desktop with lots of activity (WMP visualizations + virus scans etc), its only done it once, but its enough to make me wary as i have spent a long time making sure my card is 100% stable.

I guess i gotta find another way around it then :(

thx for the help

9. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb (672/972)
    "its only done it once,"

Then it's probably too early to worry about it :) Wait until it becomes reproducible (if it ever does).

10. Logic Zero

Logic Zero Maha Guru

GPU:
    5870 1GB @ 1000/1300
    Yeh, im just unsure if its a hardware or software issue. Im leaning towards software as my card in on H20 and the temps are very cool. Volts are nothing out of the ordinary either. Guess its just a glitch with AtiTool.

11. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    I had all sorts of glitches when I used atitool for my card.I suppose you really have to configure it proper.Better try a different app to get the 3d speeds/clocks you want and check if this one time problem reproduces itself,this would eliminate atitool as the cause of any glitch.

12. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    if you are running 3d clocks 24/7 wouldnt it be considerd being overclocked