Is it necessary to use RTSS with MSI Afterburner?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by chinko903456, May 10, 2022.

1. chinko903456

chinko903456 New Member

GPU:
    RX 550
    While playing games I love to enable FPS counter so that I can see how my frame rate goes up or down. I am using MSI afterburner see FPS. Lately I came across this article https://www.cputemper.com/how-to-enable-fps-counter-in-msi-afterburner/ which was saying that to efficiently use Afterburner one should also install RTSS.
    So is it true or i can simply keep using the Afterburner. You guidance will be apricated.

2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    you can use RTSS as standalone to have fps counter and even highly customizable overlay, but MSI AB depends on RTSS functionality when it comes to overlays, so MSI AB can't be used without RTSS for overlays.
    If you want to overclock or monitor various hardware sensors you can do it with MSI AB alone, but when you want to monitor fps (game hooking required) and or overlay then this is RTSS functionality and Msi AB will launch RTSS in background automatically if required.

3. chinko903456

chinko903456 New Member

GPU:
    RX 550
    Well i don't have intent to overclock my GPU but is there any easy guide on how to use RTSS along with MSI AB.

4. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960 OC
    First: What are you trying to accomplish? What do you need MSI AB for when you are not overclocking?

For overlays with RTSS, have a look here: RTSS Overlay Editor Megathread

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Personally I prefer combining RTSS with HWiNFO64 SINCE I find the overlays you can build just look a lot more minimal/nice so that's another route you could go. You don't need MSI Afterburner at all to use RTSS if the only thing you want to display is the framerate/frametime graph. RTSS can do that all by itself.

chinko903456 and Andy_K like this.