Is Disabling ULPS A Fix For The Aggressive Downclocking?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Ok, we have some reports that disabling ULPS for Navi GPUs have fixed the fluctuation of gpu frequency which can lower FPS in older games (pre DX12). It's not clear if this actually a fix for all. However, according to reddit responses people are saying it fixed the issue.

Here is the thread:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/f5s1ls/rx5700xt_frequency_jumping_updown_my_fix/

Here is how to disable ULPS manually
    https://community.amd.com/thread/176003

Or you can use MSI A/B. In General tab > AMD compatiblity properties

Jackalito likes this.
  2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Disabling ULPS is an old fix for many AMD cards. Nice to see it getting some retread. :)

3. justdoge

justdoge Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    disabled it on rx580. hunt showdown and kingdom come deliverance seem to run bit better now. strange because gpu clocks were always maxed before and after the change, but after it seems smoother

4. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman
    Have you tried this with some of the older games yet?

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    I'm certainly going to but I'm hoping 20.2.2 will be out within this or the next week and I can test it with that.
    The two Zwei games and Trails in the Sky should make for good D3D9 tests under limited API's and low demand situations (D3D9 single threaded for that and the games themselves not pushing the GPU much.) and the Atelier games would work well for D3D11 but hopefully the next driver resolves stability somewhat as the test would be without DXVK and I would like to avoid the random black screen errors ha ha. :D

They're good for testing though due to the numerous flaws in the underlying game engine making things tough for GPU's and with how Navi scales it would fluctuate constantly as a result so if that stabilizes that's a good result assuming that's what is kicking in here in the first place of course.
    (Just about any Koei Tecmo title would probably do though, weird porting processes involved here leading to all kinds of unique situations that wouldn't normally occur.)

Still a bit of a backlog though so a fair number of older titles are still lingering about but I've done a good job so far reducing it a little bit but quite a bit to pick from for testing both D3D9 and D3D11 though with DirectX 11 it seems more situational and could be down to other problems although a few titles still seem to be fluctuating beyond merely the GPU clocks scaling back a bit as the game isn't putting enough demand on the hardware and performance is still kept high.

Reddit topic(s) about this are mostly positive too showing gains under at least CPU limited scenarios like Overwatch and other limited or online focused titles where the GPU had problems before so it does at least appear to alleviate some of this dropping of clock speeds under some conditions even though I don't see why and apparently neither does AMD's driver engineers because info on what I could find there indicated confusion because this shouldn't apply or something but well it clearly does.
    (So yeah these power saving options kinda do need a toggle just add a prompt or tooltip that it needs a reboot and add it in I'd say.)

Eastcoasthandle likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Placebo? 580 have no downclocking issues, it makes no difference.

7. Eastcoasthandle

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I tried it for a while and really didn't notice any difference. Too bad