Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Master Guru

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Oh really, I'm the troll here? Remind me again which one of us is trying to convince people that a 10-year-old game is worth buying now, and better yet that it remains unsurpassed in every way?

Didn't read the whole article but it sounds like that guy is trying to make the same argument I am. All the Deus Ex nuthuggers here might want to read it. Maybe hearing it from a different source would help them understand since they have dismissed me as a troll.

2. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    No he's just blabbing away about character flaws, getting confused and implementing rudimentary psychology tricks. And he actually got paid to do so. The $10 was for the mod on a DVD, not Deus Ex itself, btw.

3. peter_molyneux

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Wait a second, I didn't even realize this. Someone is charging money for a mod of a decade old game??

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    No no no no. That would be illegal, the mod is free Peter.

5. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    what bothers me peter, i make big answers to your posts with quotes etc and you dont take the time to answer them because they unfortunatly destroyed your points. acting like it didnt happen doesnt realy work :( well sometimes maybe.

i gave you examples and gave you some answers to your questions and you seem to totaly dont care :) but then again, the problem here is that you think your opinion matters more then other peoples opinions. and instead of just saying "i dont like dx, but you are free to talk all you want about it" - you sir, just start babbling about things that make no sense. if you dont like deus ex, you are free to tell the threadstarter about it, but trying to convince everybody of something that is simply not true, doesnt realy make the light shine brighter on your side.

6. peter_molyneux

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    It wouldn't be illegal, just ridiculous.

7. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    No it would be illegal. They don't have the copyright to the game, so they couldn't sell that without giving some money to the creators or publisher.

8. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    " Maybe hearing it from a different source would help them understand since they have dismissed me as a troll. "

Umh no, he's wrong as well. I don't rate it higher because of nostalgia either. Many games which I have re-visited later on have not been as good as remembered, but Deus Ex is not one of them. I still enjoy coming to Paris and using my sniper skills to shoot a MJ12 trooper in the head from a long long distance. And there's nothing quite like turning against UNATCO and siding with the NSF crowd in Invisible Wars..I don't even remember its story any more.

"How Deus Ex is remembered":
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/02/your-favourite-game-was-rubbish/front.jpg
    claims the article. Utter nonsense. One of the reason I do like it because it is not OTT like Bioshock which tries to fill every inch with cool looking graphics and effects.

"Bioshock was better than System Shock".
    Either this man is paid some money to say this or he is nuts. It doesn't matter that it's new, more shiny, more cartoony etc.. the gameplay is lacking.
    The same is felt with Bioshock 2 which I'm now replaying. There isn't really much to discover in the game, my choices matter much less and there are more scripts which makes the gameplay repeat itself much more.
    And no, I don't care if it's well liked either. If it's good it's good, I don't really care what the masses think (I avoid most "big" games for instance).

// IW and B1/B2 both more feel like games.. it's much harder to sink into the setting. They are both watered down experiences. Like a commentator said it's like comparing Beethoven with Britney Spears.

Doom3 is personally not for me a good game. It's tries to scare with "boos!", there is really no psychology involved and making a game incredibly dark does not make it scarier. After a while you know pretty much where the enemies will spawn too, which is bad game design.
    I don't play HL2 for the plot. I think the gameplay could be deeper but I enjoy its much more varied enviroments than the gray crap design that Doom 3 offered.

"invisible war is the best deus ex game".
    Oh boy. Was this article written for 1st of April? Invisible was is scary? Yes, its dumbed down quality if anything, miniscule levels, a much crappier AI and retarted use of ragdolls.

He didn't comment on this, but I will..
    And Super Mario Kart for the SNES is still better than all those released after it. It actually takes skill and the AI doesn't doesn't cheat.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    TNM contains two unique storylines, both of which contain about 15 hours of gameplay. There are over 50 non-linear levels, over 70 different characters and a staggering 14 hours of fully voiced dialogue. This is quite some feat for a mod from this independent development team, and according to Richard Cobbett it is very, very good.

This is a list of just some of the features you will find in TNM:

* 30 hours of gameplay split between two completely unique and parallel storylines
    * Amazing voice acting adding up to 14 hours of spoken audio
    * More than 200 unique characters
    * More than 4 hours of brand new music
    * Over 30 unique maps, ranging from city slums and caves to high-tech laboratories
    * 4 main endings and a detailed epilogue
    * More than 20 new weapons
    * Hundreds of all-new high-resolution models
    * Hunderds of readable e-mails, books, newspapers, notepads, and digital storage devices
    * Incredibly deep game world reactivity and player freedom
    * Strongly based on Deus Ex’s highly praised core gameplay
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    ^ Does that not look ****ing epic to anyone else?

11. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I don't recall what I did with my copy of Deus Ex exactly, I may have sold it, but I am re buying it because of this thread. I just played through the demo and had a blast, at least after I forced vsync to keep it out of fast motion. With that mod on top of it, this should be fantastic.

Perhaps I'll give Invisible War another shot as well, the demo turned me off of it so much back in the day because of it's simplification, that I never picked it up. Now every game is more simplified than it was, so it will likely still be enjoyable if I can get past it's shortcomings.

Thanks OP, for reminding me how awesome Deus Ex is.

12. peter_molyneux

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Nope looks pretty dated to me.

13. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Yeah. It needs to have weapons that get bigger over time.

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    You proved my last pic. lol, it is true though. still a great game after all these years.

Dont have to convince people, many of us long time gamers still love to play old games. I still play some Atari 2600 games, i have an Atari Flashback 2, cost me $40 and worth it to me.

So your attitude about it is kinda trolling. Your not the only one with this opinion, but you should state its your opinion. which is fine, but why bash on the fact that others enjoy old games? You shouldnt care really. 4 weeks ago, i played Metroid on NES for 6 hours straight, then Deja Vu for a couple hours....something wrong with that? Fun is what gaming is about, you seem young. I thought same way when i was 16yrs playing SNes, i thought Atari was crap, graphics rule all, now i play em all. lol

Deus Ex and this mod has more content and gameplay than many games today, How many games today have 200 unique characters, 4 hours of music..etc? I replayed DE last year, its gameplay is fantastic compared to many today.

15. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Oops, i accidentally climbed on top of this table. Now to climb down..
    I said NOW TO CLIMB DOWN!..
    How the hell do i get off this thing? It's like 1 foot off the ground.

50 years later.
    Exploration tour guide: And as you folks can see here, the skeleton of Commander Sheppard, Resting right where (s)he died.. the second time.. Atop this very table.

Who the hell said Deus Ex was unsurpassed in every way? It seems you're trying to mix words around.. again. Starting to look like an ass again.

Deus Ex, does not have the best graphics, obviously.
    It does not have the best gameplay, many other games have better gameplay.
    It does not have the best story line, at least not in my opinion.
    It does not have the best tactics, it doesn't have the best anything.
    (no tactics and gameplay aren't the same thing, not in my books at least)

What it DOES have, is a great balance of gameplay, tactics, and storyline.
    There are games that have better stories, but horrible gameplay.
    There are A LOT of games that have better graphics, but worse stories and gameplay.

That's what you aren't getting peter, no one is saying it's the perfect game, it isn't. But you seem to be making claims that it's the worse game ever.

And yes, you're trolling, you're trying to invoke a negative response from other members.

And all this over what? So you can stop a couple people from picking up Deus Ex from the dollar bin at a local video game store? To stop people from spending pocket change on it from ebay?
    I got a great idea, how about you just let people play the game for themselves and form their own opinions.

Shame on me for not remembering this earlier.
    The game is old enough, it's classed as abandonware, meaning you can download it, for free...
    *link removed*
    Edit: Removed direct link to thread, you can find it on the site yourself. Hint: Shooters
    /edit

It's less than 378MB guys. No need to be shy.

Sorry for not remembering the game is abandonware. The site also has invisible war, which is also abandonware. And no, the site hasn't had any legal issues, so you should be good to go.

Now that the game is free, Peter, are you going to shut up about people buying it?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2010

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    I might as well add that I don't automatically dislike new games. 2008 I enjoyed Fallout 3 very much despite not having played the old games before. It was worth purchasing and I'm looking towards the next Fallout..hoping for more complexity as usual.
    I also like F3 because it was so easy to mod (a huge reason to prefer PC over consoles as well).

I'm not this guy:
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/106554 :wanker:

I'm certainly looking towards new interesting games, but I do believe that the marketing crowds have probably way too much of a say in game development. I certainly miss the days when developers could focus just making a bloody good PC game, now we get those ports instead... with tons of compromises which shows.

Last year not much good came out, but Batman was surprisingly good although I found its replay value to be pretty poor since the design heavily makes another playthrough pretty similar.

The first Super Mario Bros is a very nostalgic game for me, but I found that I enjoyed the second a bit more (even though it wasn't a true Mario game even) and the third blew both of them away. The first SNES Mario game was technologically marvelous but the true invention didn't really come until Yoshi's Island which made great use of the SFX chip inside the cartridges.

A quick example of a game which I don't enjoy today even though it's has huge nostalgic value is Rare produced Donkey Kong country (music and settings are great but not gameplay). Street Fighter II is another game which I find extremely dull today...

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I can't get into country, but I can 2 and 3

19. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I think that is one of the games that helps not to have played the older ones before hand.

20. Chouji

Chouji Ancient Guru

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Fair enough, if an admin/mod ask me to remove the link, i will, or they are more than welcome to do so themselves. Would save me time.

I removed the link. But left the site, if someone wants it, they can find it.
    No mod or admin asked me to, i just did so as a precaution.