Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Food is a different situation entirely. It isn't a new industry and it isn't based on rapidly advancing technology.

2. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Deus ex and max payne were the games in 99! I still got the original dictionary size boxes they came in.

3. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    I did play it back around 2000. I got a free copy with a video card I bought. It was a garbage game back then & there is no way in hell I would even bother installing the game today.

4. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I played Doom 3 once and yet I play Doom 2 on a yearly basis. I play System Shock 2 every year. I play Planescape Torment every year. I play Fallout 1/2 every year. I play Jagged Alliance 2 every year.

Honestly, pegging the lifespan of a game solely on it's graphical aptitude? How shallow can you be? I suppose you don't watch any movies made prior to 2000 because their special effects are sooooooooooo dated. Yeah that Star Wars may have looked cool in the 70s but now I can't even watch it it's so ugly.

5. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I don't agree. Bioshock is just a simplified remake of System Shock 2, and SS2 came out about a year before Deus Ex. So I certainly don't see the genre as being improved since the days of Deus Ex.

6. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    If you didn't like it in 2000 then you probably have terrible taste in games.

Well Doom 3 was pretty terrible, so I can see why you only played it once. Fallout 1/2, Jagged Alliance 2, and PS:T were awesome games; I played through them many times over, long after their graphics were dated.

But there's a limit. Eventually you get tired of a game, and/or the graphics become so dated that it just looks terrible.

And Doom 2? You've got to be kidding me. That game is obsolete in every way and is utterly unplayable. I can MAYBE see playing the original Fallouts because they have some decent writing and solid turn-based gameplay that no longer exists. But Doom 2 has no writing, no depth, and atrocious visuals.

Oh no doubt, Bioshock is overrated and basically a crappy shooter with some simple RPG elements. But it's still better than Deus Ex. Seriously, install Deus Ex and tell me its still playable. It looks like total ****.

7. notyou

notyou Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6970
    No, I like good games & Deus Ex was not one of them.

Back in 2000, I was playing Delta Force 2 online. It was one of the best online games ever made.

If you liked Deus Ex, you must have terrible taste in games, since it was a very sh!tty game.

8. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I understand that it looks like crap, it's just that looking crappy doesn't bother everyone that much. It obviously bothers you, and I'm sure many others can't get into old games either, but a lot of us still enjoy them. :)

9. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    [​IMG]

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    lol there are not many games that peter_molyneux likes :)

11. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    It's clear you've never actually played Deus Ex for more then 15 minutes (or at all). So I'll ignore the comment about Bioshock's superiority. But you should at least know that Deus Ex's appeal has very little do with with it being a shooter/rpg hybrid, but rather it's extensive gameplay options and multiple ways to get through it's enviroments. That way, at least you'll appear to know something about it.

12. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    You know... I know this may sound crazy but MASS EFFECT seems like it was derived from Deus Ex Invisible war....

main similarities:

Selective response to in game dialog

use of biotics,
    energy cells (health packets)

ammo clips weapon mods,

I mean, i know that Bioware isnt Eidos or ION Storm for that matter but doesnt these two franchised games seem shockingly similar???

i might just be in a daze.... who knows :p

13. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I remember thinking the matrix copied this game back in the day.

14. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Extensive gameplay options? What does that even mean?

The game was fully linear from what I recall... but if by "multiple ways to get through it's enviroments" you mean stealth or shooting, yeah it had that. But since then, stealth has been done better, action done better, roleplaying done better, better writing and dialogue, etc. in the ten years since its release.

If I was making an historical list that takes into account a games influence, innovation, and appeal at the time of its release, clearly Deus Ex would be ranked ahead of Bioshock. But today if I was offered a free copy of Bioshock 2 I might actually install it, whereas Deus Ex would remain on my "Not Installed" list because it's a decade old and rubbish by today's standards.

15. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    no mass effect came from baldurs gate and then many other similar games made by bioware before it.

bioshock its a totally linear game imo , and a rather dull one at that - i have no interest in the sequel.

as for dues ex - this was one of the first pc games i ever completed (even before i finished halflife) loved every second of it , the opening few levels are a bit rubbish but it really picks up afterwards.

as for the whole graphic debate - i dont care much for graphics its gameplay that matters although since iv already completed it i wouldnt play it now, but if i hadnt i would def pick it up especially if there are some grx mods for it.

16. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti

:heh:
    Dude....you dont have a clue....no longer playable....WTF....OK...now ..real slowly....lay the crack pipe down.......good lord saying Deus Ex is unplayable is like saying Star wars is unwatchable.

You must mean you just dont care for the game....there i will say it for you......unplayable....PLEASE

17. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    You're missing the point entirely.
    Games aren't always about the graphics, theres more to a game than eye candy.
    Deus Ex had excellent gameplay, tactics, story line, and general gaming feel. Even though the graphics, compared to todays standard are indeed ****.

Theres a reason people still own their super nintendos and sega genesis.

Just because it looks better, doesn't make it a better game.
    Though poorly ported, Deus Ex invisible war looked 10x better than the original, but the original was still the better game.

If you still don't get it, then you should just agree to disagree, because you're starting to look like a noob/kid, whining about graphics, ignoring gameplay and storylines.

That made my day, that was good.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  18. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    I nearly spit up my lunch reading this horse****. :heh:

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Deus Ex is a classic, it won Game Of The Year title on most major review sites & mags.

It's non-linear gameplay and immersion got me hooked, although the storyline was so long I never actually finished it.

On the other hand Bioshock was pure 5hite imho.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  20. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB

LIES.:3eyes: