Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    but deus ex lest plays like current games, now take fallout 1 or 2 for example sit a kid down and try to get them to play that, they will usually up and quit within 10 minutes. a college professor even wrote a article about a class experiment he did letting students play fallout 3 then making them play the old school fallout games, it was a fairly interesting read, especially when some of them got beyond the limited freedom they initially encountered via the isometric view and the turn based combat.

bottom line any serious game should play the classics and deus ex is definately a classic. just like serious music lovers should recognize that hendrix and led zepplin and muddy waters and bb king gave their current artists the foundations to make their music. just saying if its old its crap does not cut it.

2. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SLI
    Anybody who has not played the first two Fallout games...has no idea what they are missing.....The freedom and the things you can do in those games goes way farther than anything put out today......not even close IMO

3. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Master Guru

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    No, the music comparison doesn't work at all. It's completely and utterly different. Music has been around for thousands of years, it's a performing art, has no visual/graphical component... I mean come on.

Like I said if you're a "serious gamer" or someone who loves the old classics, chances are you already played DX repeatedly. For those other people who are newer to gaming, or have developed a taste for modern games, or who value the graphical aspect of games, DX is probably not for you.

4. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    music like games have evolved, tho you could argue that games have devolved somewhat from the shuffling from pc with complex control schemes and deep gameplay to the more shallow representation we see now that consoles have been pushed to the forefront. but deus ex, homeworld, zork, ultima, sm pirates, gunship, age of empires or whatever the first mainstream hit rts was, all games the helped define a generation of games. just dismissing them when they inspired much of what has come after is just shortsighted, especially when its done because gfx are lacking by today's standards.

handhelds do not have top o the line gfx heck neither do consoles period, should we shun all games because the graphic suck compared to what a modern pc can really do? maybe we should boycott them but i doubt publishers will care either way just an excuse for them to cut off pcs more.

and at any rate game play can beat graphics any day of the week.

5. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Master Guru

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    How many times do I have to give credit to DX for being innovative and inspirational? The fact that it set precedents back in 2000 doesn't mean that it's still relevant today. You mention Age of Empires, another classic but outdated game. I'll recommend Company of Heroes over AoE or SC any day.

IMO yes. I own bunch of consoles and they pretty much just collect dust. I have a stack of console games here but when I put them in, see the jaggies, muddy textures, crappy blur and depth of field, and feel the awkwardness of the controller, I just quit. Luckily the PS3 is useful for occasionally watching movies on BD.

When either the graphics or the gameplay are bad enough though, I don't feel like it's worth playing the game. For example, Crysis has excellent graphics but the game itself is too crappy for me to play, and Dwarf Fortress might have really deep gameplay but it looks too awful.

6. cerebus23

cerebus23 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    i just got to say your loss, i find many of my old classics are fun to pop in every few years and remember what made them special, and the hold up every bit as well or better than most of the games i see out these days.

7. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
  8. mark501

mark501 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 270X 2GB
    Is Deus Ex worth buying? IMHO yes very much so. If outdated year 2000 graphics doesnt bother you that is. The HDTP mod will update graphics a bit and I think its almost done now ( But its been "almost done" for over a year so)

I played Deus Ex first time in 2004 after I had completed HL2 and Doom 3. And Deus Ex was the most memorable experience, despite the fact it looked like crap in comparison. Its one of my favorite games but not at all perfect. Voice-acting for example is just ok for some main characters, but really awful for the rest

I feel the exact opposite. Dwarf Fortress is one of the worst looking games I've ever played and I love it! Can't wait for the next version :) I also enjoyed Crysis thanks to the fantastic graphics. And I just recently started playing X-Com UFO defense. Never played it before, great game

9. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    If your priorities are graphics, obviously thats going to seriously effect the variety of games you let yourself enjoy resulting in casual gaming as apposed to good variety of enjoyment. Seems these types are only happy when they see pics of upcomming games that have "Crysis" graphics and always complain when they play them while crapping on any game that doesnt look like Crysis. Hard core gamers will let themselves enjoy almost any game for at least some period of time.

I'm sure the OP has the general idea of whether he will enjoy DE or not. However there is a free demo..why no one simply reffered the OP to play it first i'll have no idea. oh i know, argueing is more entertaining.
    http://download.cnet.com/Deus-Ex-demo/3000-7539_4-10045335.html

10. Jagrafess

Jagrafess Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5850 1gb
    I liked Deus Ex and i think ill definitely have to find my disc again but in the same category i love System Shock 2, of which i am playing again for the umpteenth time :D

11. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I like daggerfall and half life 1. Graphics matter little to me but I prefer 3d if it can be done better than 2d. I still like the look of N64 games. Only trouble I have now is picking between vampire bloodlines+this, or the Hitman pack of 2 blood money and agent.

12. mark501

mark501 Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 270X 2GB
    D'oh!

Yeah dl and try the demo. Its the first level at the statue of liberty (notice there's something odd about the Manhattan skyline) A lot of people say the first level isnt that good but I disagree. The demo is what hooked me

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i liked the first level too. I remember the horrible frame rate i had when this game first came out, cant remember if i was still on Voodoo cards or what but i bet the framerate is is a gamer junkies dream nowadays.

i loved...loved Vampire: the Masquarade Redemption, awesome story,music and design. but completely different gameplay than Bloodlines. Why they went first person with such linearity i'll never know. Mostly i disliked the small areas and loading between areas...oops i went waaay offtopic. :biggun:

14. jed_tb

jed_tb Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5870
    how very true.

still cant beleive this thread is still alive....and yes iv just made it last that little bit longer by this comment, but man the OP must of decided to play/not play it by now.

out of interest this one picture below proves why graphics dont mean **** in games and why gameplay counts for everything (and yes the game was released THIS year):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010