Is Conroe right for you???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 古強者死神, Jul 18, 2006.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I just can't let it go, no. Saying PC Power & Cooling is the best of the best, just isn't right. If you're really into spending that sort of money on a powersupply, Zippy should be on your list. Throwing in my background was done simply because you clearly stated that I didn't know what I was talking about. I understand warranty is a big thing for you. Let me ask you this: Do you really expect that you'll use that 510 PSU in 5 years from now? Simply looking at the upscale of powerusage of PC's in the last few years answers that question - No.

Of course noise ripple plays a large role in the quality of power the PSU delivers. But I can assure you that the Forton PSU's have excellent power quality. I don't doubt you when you say you don't experience any voltage fluctuations on the rails of your 510, but may I ask how you measured that? I sure hope it wasn't with a mulitmeter. Besides, I never said the Pc Power & Cooling PSU's were of low quality. No, of course they aren't. But they are overpriced, and the price does not justify the so called "quality" this unit has over other units. It's sort of wrong when you say the 510 is the best of the best, when it's clearly not. I wouldn't have commented if you suggested the 850 or something similar (the prices of those are nuts anyway). You also did not answer my question about how PCP&P acutally tests the output of their PSU's.

And about the 850 Zippy. It's a SINGLE RAIL PSU (1x 12V - 60A), while the PCP&P is a 3-rail PSU. With all your electronics background, you should know that it's harder, and much more expensive to build ONE fat rail, rather than several, smaller rails.

As a bottom line, I really just can't understand the whole PCP&P fetish some people are having. Yes, it's a very high-end PSU, but no, it's not the best money can buy. And forking out unncessesariy amounts of cash just to have "that brand", seems a bit foolish to me. It also appears to me that you got annoyed when I criticized Pc Power & Cooling one bit. That, to me, borders to fanboyism. Now... it doesn't appear to me like it's any use discussing this with you.

2. Silicon Rage

Silicon Rage Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTS 640mb SLI
    Conroe Question

Is the Conroe 64bit compatable? That would be the main selling point for me since I run Windows XP Pro x64. I feel that this version is much faster in most apps and in games.

3. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    Yes, Core 2 Duo processors support EM64T (64-bit). No, despite what you feel, as of now very few applications and games experience a significant performance boost under XP Pro x64.

Also regarding the OCZ GameXStream, it's based on Forton's FSP700-80GLC.

4. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    Here if you want ot learn more about the Conroe's performance in 64-bit. Read This Article

5. G L

G L Don Juan

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640 MB 600/1000
    I read a post on some forum where the user said that most brands do not make PSUs but simply rebrand them, or at least the internals anyway. This was the list he gave:

Can't confirm this but it wouldn't suprise me, there is certainly plenty of rebranding in the rest of the industry. Anyone know anything one way or the other?

6. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    QFT

simple my supplies never lasted more then 3 years.... because the spec for new hardware is always changing..

7. yeah they are taking less power :p

seriously some thing are going up but others go down.

the die shrinks in all the micron processing and the new revisions of DDR all take less power.

keep in mind its still a "650w" psu I have no doubts it will last me 5 years besides its just staying in my opteron system wich is being handed down to my wife/kids and I am building a new system in a year or two.

Why would I NOT want somthing that will last a long time as I dont want to be peeling apart there PC every few months to fix somthing.