Is Conroe right for you???

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by 古強者死神, Jul 18, 2006.

1. boomheadshot45

boomheadshot45 Active Member

GPU:
    soon to come, HIS X1900XT
    I'm getting the E6300 then going to OC it anywhere from 2.3-3.0 ghz.

2. @grahf your comparison isnt fair, your choosing the top model AMD vs one lower down in the Intel Ranks.

for that to be even you have to compare to the 6800 wich is more expensive than the FX-62.

Who here would buy the FX-62 when they know they can get a cheaper cpu and overclock it??

3. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 - $339
    DFI INFINITY 975X/G - $187 (OC results)
    OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply - $139.99
    G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 667 SDRAM - $177.99

Then compare the E6600 to the Opteron 165 - The E6600 is still the better value even if the Opteron 165 reaches its maximum overclock which is not even guaranteed.

4. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    The board is out of stock pretty much everywhere. Looks solid, but like with other boards, it may not be Conroe ready out of the box, which I require. Nice PSU, but I actually decided to splurge big time and go for the PC Power & Cooling 510W PSU that ????? uses (I'm sure he'll be very proud :)). I figure, why the f*** not :D. It's only 510 W, but the company claims it's 2x as powerful as other PSUs with the same wattage, which I believe based on the excellent reviews. Also, it's got a 5 year warranty, compared to the 2 year for FSP and 3 year for OCZ. I mean, THAT is what I call customer service. $225, but worth it.

As for the ram, I actually read on the XtremeSystems forums (where they have OCZ people answer questions) that the ram you linked to won't OC well (Maybe to 420 tops on the FSB), and if you want to go lower on the FSB, loosening your timings won't help all that much. The Ram I linked to has much better OCing capabilities apparently. Might as well splurge :D

Ordered the Ram, PSU and Zalman cooler. Now just need a MoBo, CPU, and Video Card :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006

5. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Sapphire X1900gt
    ?????: I know the person who did it was coolaler I am not sure his cooling methods and such, I was just pointing out the man has achieved a large push on that these items can go almost double their initial speed if the engineers actually tried. The ram you stated can be gotten at zipzoomfly for $289 by the 31st of this month.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85242&prodlist=froogle
    A lot of the xtremesystem forum users trying to use g.skill ram in the gigabyte boards have been faced with a lot of challenges.

Insomniac: The only problem I have with your order of not getting dual channel ram is that supposedly with dual channel they are identical sticks so they would overclock the same and if you have a problem you can send them back just on that basis alone. You buying single sticks means you are just guessing that they will OC together at the same speeds, if they don't but do go over the stated minimum you are just stuck with it. Wasn't the abit board lacking in PCI slots?

I do agree that the boards being rated for AM3 will be a great help to AMD but then you have to think who would take a board from long ago when the AM3s come out? Beyond that I have to wonder what the difference with the AM3 compared to the AM2 will be? All of them being quad core processors?

6. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Well I didn't think about that, I guess I just assumed they would considering the 2 x 1 GB kit is made up of those same 1 GB sticks. It's funny though... once I saw your post, I went back to Newegg to look up the kit. And they have it in stock now. So I'm getting assured Dual Channel memory and will pay $5 less on Shipping. I cancelled the old order, made the new one, saved $5 (I think I'll buy myself a :cheers:). Thanks for the insight :thumbup:

7. Oh you got the PC Power & Cooling eh? Good choice :p

You did get the SLI version right?

if it were another psu it would be advertised as 650w (since they rate at max)

Its hard to find specific data on those psus so here is a guide I had put together to tell the diffrence:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=189837

8. Tenkanisk

Tenkanisk Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI Radeon Sapphire X1900gt
    You are welcome, and enjoy that beer with the $5 extra savings.

When you do get the memory in, overclock both sticks, then check them seperately to see if they are a pair, if not you can send them back.

9. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Yeah, I got the SLI version. There were a few to choose from on the site so I went with the one closest to the one you have. As it turns out, i made the correct choice. Nice guide by the way, very informative. When I first saw you talking about this PSU once, I thoguht to myself, "No way I can afford that or would be willing to pay that much!". But then I got to thinking... If I spend $350 on a CPU, $400 on a GPU, $200 on a MoBo, and $250 on memory, then why not $200 on a PSU with a 5-year warranty? If you've got the cash, the PC&P seems to be the way to go. If not, then FSP and OCZ have some terrific PSUs in the $140-160 range. For the budget and thrift user, the Antec 550W that everyone seems to be talking about is a great choice.

The warranty was the biggest selling point to me. That and the solid rails that everyone seem to get with it. Oh, and I bought it off of the PC&P website where it was 10% off, so I only paid about $210. Compare this to $230+ at Newegg after shipping and I saved about $20 more :D

And ?????, how hot do these badboys tend to run? I heard that may be an issue but I'm not totally worried.

10. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I don't know where this PC Power & Cooling craze comes from, but to me it's a bit crazy. Alright, the PC Power and Cooling PSU's are indeed excellent PSU's, but let's make one thing clear: they are overpriced. I don't know where you got it from that the 510 PSU is able to load over the double, because that sounds highly suspicious. There are two mayor ways of measuring the max load of a powersupply. Either, you measure the maximum load it can handle over time - which is the correct and "accepted" way of measuring power output. This is the way most "honest" brands measure it. Then there's measuring maximum peak load. This is load over a very short amount of time, say, 1ms. This measuing method was used by **** brands like Qtec. No matter how you see things, the FSP 700W epsilon/OCZ GameXstream 700W, should by all means be able to ouput more power than the PC Power and Cooling 510. Oh, and let's not forget that it's much cheaper! I can guarantee, that the FSP will power his new system without a single problem in the world.

If you really want PSU extravaganza, get the Zippy 850W. Now there's a PSU that'll eat that PCP&C for breakfast.

11. Mine runs cool but I also have a very cool case with 120mm intake in the front, 2 90mm intakes on the side, a 120mm blow hole on the top and the cpu is water cooled with the radator outside the case.

If you case is cool the psu should stay cool.

the warrenty is great. I ate 2 100$ antecs in 3 years thats when I got the PC P&C so now I have 5 years no matter what for it to last. The 2 antecs were 200$ and only lasted me 3 years.

And duing the whole time I have it its higher quality and piece of mind.

Once you test as many psu's as I have and just look inside a PC P&C you will know the diffrence. Aslo much like how I am loyal to EVGA for video cards I am loyal to PC P&C because they have 100% no questions asked customer is always right customer support.

You may be tossing higher wattage models and some names around John but that means nothing, you should go read the PSU sticky and find out just how much wattage means.

edit: looked at the zippy 850w its about 385$ wich is about 2x as much as the 510...
    you do know they have a 850w and 1000w model also right?

The zippy specs show its 850w max the turbo cool 850 is 850w continus and 950w max
    the price on the pc p&c 850 is...425$ so thats a whole 50$ more. for only 50$ more than that I found several places selling the 1000w model for 475ish

Thats laughable really.

850 review compared to the zippy. It got perfect 5 star rating and also its in the 85% efficantcy rating.
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/reviews/pureoverclock/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2006
  12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I don't think you need to tell me what wattage means, my good friend. 2 years of studying electronics should give me a steady enough ground to supress my opinions. Forton/Source is not just "another name". Have you ever opened one of those? FSP have made high-quality PSU's for many, many years, and have always been known for their very good built quality.
    I'm interested in the measuring methods PC Power & Cooling uses. Can you fill me in there? And why do you, in your own words, think that he should spend 225USD on a PSU he 1) Doesn't need 2) Actually delivers less power than a slightly cheaper FSP PSU.

13. Not trying to start a pissing contest, he is the one that ordred the product and I was telling him its a great choice. I always recomend a OCZ/FSP ect to sombody on a budget unless they say the want the best.

Then thats when I say PC P&C they are the best, its that simple.

My biggest thing is the life of these things. They last forever, and then there is the 5 year warrenty.

I can tell you what wattage means, it means othing. noise ripple, APC, efficantcy, warrenty, all those things and more are important the wattage itself is just mearly how its advertised.

I have more than 5 years of electronics training under my belt, from the united states marines, we have a 70% fail rate the school is so tough. So dont go about tossing your background into things thinking it will help.

Somthing tells me you didnt go read the PSU sticky as you will clearly see FSP as one of my recomendations too.

so the answer to your statments are:

1.) He determins if he needs/wants it not you or anybody else and he did make a great choice, 1000's of dollars of hardware in a machine and its all powered by one thing, the PSU to a computer is the Foundation to a house.

2.) Please link me this cheaper FSP PSU, again your comaring apples to oranges. Just because the power output might be the same or similar doesnt mean its quality in parts or expected life are the same.

Its simply cheaper to build the FSP PSU so they can sell it for less. But the bigger more expensive components used in a PC P&C and you have to sell it for more, simple math really.

We have a car thread in the pub, its the same conversation but diffrent hardware. Lots of cars all built diffrent but end up having the same speed or horsepower but yet the cost of each is way diffrent. There is a reason for it. It might not be the horsepower, or the top speed but the quality of the car, but how it handles or its warrenty, or the compenents used in the car itself.

I am no mechanic but everybody in my family is, for that reason I know what a car is worth.

I am an electrician and computer hardware guy and for that reason I know what a PSU is worth. Break down 200$ over 5 years and how much is that? and thats if the thing died on you the day after your warrenty ends. (Wich I could get a video card for 200$ that would last 5 years :p)

Your just starting a big uproar over nothing, lets please get back on topic.

14. WildStyle

WildStyle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Boxy/ViciousXUSMC: A friendly bit of advice before you make a mug of yourself. Edit: Too late. Attempting to teach John about PSUs is just the same as when you attempted to teach me about RAM. In other words, he does not need to be taught, he is a hugely advanced user with a great knowledge of electronics and hardware in general. If anything, he should be the one doing the teaching.

15. RAM ^^ you have the ram knowledge, but what you know I know I read and learned.

I was speaking about what I know here wild.

and you know too, just because you want to stick up for him doesnt change the facts.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104014
    600w FSP 140$ 2 year warrenty - 1st review on the product is a dead on arrival PSU.

thats just below the 510 model as its 600w max and the 510 is 650w max.

The next step up is the 700w model
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104015

now your up to 170$ and have more power than the 510 but your only paying about 40$ less and you still only have that 2 year warrenty.

Thats like a 3 year extended warrenty for 40$ and still ontop of that the product itself is of a nicer quality.

I would love to do a in depth testing of each and post it on guru3d for a review.

I cant get .01v flux under load with my 510 no matter how hard I try.

Besides the whole ram thing was because I got one thing mixed up, I still knew what I was talking about but had the name wrong, I think it was BH5 confused with somthing else.

If you wanna beat a dead horse some more do it with me via a PM.

More stuff to add:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1925905,00.asp

I dont like thermaltake at all, silverstone is meh ok.. but still shows how important the psu is.

#1 PSU Myth:

DON'T BE MISLED BY EXAGGERATED WATTAGE CLAIMS
    To properly compare power supplies, wattage claims must state the maximum ambient temperature for continuous, full-load operation. Unfortunately for the consumer, this information is usually withheld, opening the door for manufacturers to exaggerate their wattage claims. They do so by assuming an unrealistic ambient temp of only 25°C (77°F), even though the actual internal power supply temp is at least 40°C (104°F). Since the proper full-load rating is 15°C higher for home use and 25°C higher for industrial use, these power supplies produce 33%-50% less power than their advertised ratings.

16. QuadCannons

QuadCannons Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 210
    PC P&C, FSP, Zippy, I assume these are all the elite PSU brands? Way above Antec, OCZ, Silverstone, Thermaltake, etc? If Antec, OCZ, Silverstone, & Thermaltake are already considered very much above the average brands, then why even consider anything above those unless you're running a dedicated server or workstation?

17. FSP is very cheap and equal to Antec, OCZ its a great company.

Zippy I never heard of actually but with the "extremist" crowd a few people have that 850w model.

A SLI/X-Fire system requires a pretty high end psu if you have a demanding system.

For me being sombody that runs my PC 24/7 efficantcy is very important and so is the life of the product.

Like I said both my Antecs died on me :/

I still have a 600w Aspire that is running great and thats a cheap brand PSU so I am not all about only using expensive products.

200$ really isnt bad tho, at first when you think about it it sounds expensive but when you think about how long it last and how important it is you realize its not.

Heck I found my old step up info for my 7800GTX when I was doing the EVGA scavenger hunt. almost 500$ that card costed when it was new and its already outdated. This PSU can go into any system and last me for well over 5 years.

This is just one of those situations when I say spend the little extra, its worth it.

I am very much a budget builder always finding the cheapest product to do what I need it to do. This is what I call an "investment" rather than just a purchase.

18. Insomniac34

Insomniac34 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 768mb (800/1900)
    Geez, a guy spends about $60 more on a PSU that has great reviews and a 5 year warranty and the flood gates open :rolleyes:. As long as we aren't buying PSUs from Ultra, MassCool or Kingwin, I think we should all be happy. So I wanted to spend a little more, who the heck cares? I probably could've been perfectly fine with the $140 FSP or the $160 OCZ, but the warrantys of both just couldn't compare to the PC&P one. I've had PC parts and other electronic devices get up and die on me for no real reasons. Hell, my iPod lasted about 13 months before it bit the death bug. With the PC&P, I have the comfort of knowing that I have a PSU for quite a while. I guess you can think of it as going with an FSP and spending about $60 for an extra 3 year warranty. Again, this is something I normally wouldn't do (spend so much), but I'm not worry about the money right now. I just want stability, comfort and high-performance, even if it costs a bit more.

I'm gonna try out the PSU when I get it some time next week with my current rig. I don't have spectacular airflow (i.e. no top fan) and I have a Precott, so I'll be able to see just how hot the PC&P gets. If it does get too hot or the noise is unsettling for me, I can return it within 30 days for a full refund, making this pretty much a free test run (minus shipping).

19. Well said ^^

20. Infested Nexus

Infested Nexus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon™ HD 8850M
    For $139.99 you could get a high quality 700w OCZ GameXStream with a 3 year warranty.

Or for $225 there is that PC Power & Cooling 510W with a 5 year warranty.

So hypothetically if the OCZ power supply died 3 years from now - you would have to buy a new one.

How much do you think a ~700W power supply is going to cost in 3 years?

The OCZ GameXStream has nothing but rave reviews and offers superior specs to the PC Power and Cooling power source, and it's cheaper.