Is "Aspect Ratio Scaling" possible with ATT?

Discussion in 'ATI Tray Tools Public Beta Section' started by Amilo-D, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    That is one of the questions that been bugging me ever since i switch back to ATI after a year with Nvidia. Thit issue is quite important for people using wide-screens yet still like to play classic games (most classic isometric rpg with 800x600 as max rez)

Here's simple example of the issue:
    You have LCD with native resolution of 1280x800 (16:10). You run a game that only supports 800x600 (4:3).

Now with ATI you have 2 options:
    1- Game image is distorted and stretched around the screen to 16:10 aspect.
    2- 800x600 is displayed in center of your screen (black borders around it) but that way you use only half of your entire screen space. [done by disabling stretch-to-panel option in drivers]

With Nvidia there is a 3rd option:
    3- game is stretched vertically but doesnt get distorted. You see black bars on left and right but game image is touching upper and lower edge, thus utilizing maximum possible space. Appearing to be using 1068x800 pixels (4:3).

[​IMG]

Is the 3rd option possible to impliment using ATT? Or is it hardware limitation or something?

2. tlen

tlen Member

And i add some more preciseness on the current situation.

Actually the "1:1 pixel scaling" that is simple scaling with black border left-right/up-down, works with all drivers BUT ONLY ON 16/9 & 16/10 resolutions.
    Try yourself and you'll see.

BUT all 4:3 and near (640*480,800*600,1024*768,1280*1204...) doesn't work.

So i hope this will be fixed :)

3. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    Tlen, we are actually talking about 2 different things here hihi..

What you are saying is a bug, that means disabling "Stretch Image To Panel" option (which means all resolution modes should be displayed AS-ARE on panel without any stretching) does NOT works work with 4:3 resolutions.

So.. On a LCD with native 1920x1200 (16:10) setting mode to 1280x768(16:9) or 1280x800(16:10) will display un-stretched image centered correctly. Yet setting 1280x960 will stretch it horribly.

4. tlen

tlen Member

Yes, that is.
    And i know you was talking about a different thing but complementary, that is displaying every resolution with correct aspect ratio NOT as are, but stretched preserving the Aspect Ratio in order to occupy as much free screen space as possible.
    These are two sides of the same face, mine is a BUG your is a feauture :)

5. Amilo-D

Amilo-D Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 280GTX 702mhz
    indeed. Good you realize that, quite a few dont. Now thats one feature i really would have loved to have for my widescreen laptop running ati.

Oh well as long as one stay away from widescreens this shouldnt be much problem, yet still it'd be nice if ATI could give us this.

6. tlen

tlen Member

And i add other informations.

At the moment the stretching feature DOES work, but in this case too only for 16/9 & 16/10 resolutions. These get streched properly while 4/3 ones get stretched too much eheh (without black borders).
    So i think it's kind of a same problem. Moreover in AtiTrayTools i get a "Perserve aspect ratio" grayed out and not selectable in Display properties.
    I think the essence of the problem is all there.
    I hope Ray can do something about it.