Is Another GPU Mining Wave Inbound?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 14, 2020.

1. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I'm just glad I'm settled with 1440p 27" 144Hz VRR. (After using 28" 2160p 60Hz for 3 years). The used GTX1080 that I got, was a great investment (considering how slow the GPU market is progressing in my opinion).

I won't upgrade my GTX 1080 until I can get something that performs 100% more for 300-400 USD max. So that's going to put me in the waiting list for more years.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Neo Cyrus and wavetrex like this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    ^ Pretty much what I feel as well.
    If this year's launches are equally lame and overpriced as last year's, I will just give up on PC gaming for good.

Might even give up on gaming in general, too many other interesting things to do in life than waste money on overpriced tech.

Neo Cyrus, CalculuS and Serotonin like this.
  3. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    "What do you game with then? (Always my most curious question in such a situation)"

Mostly BF1, but I play at 7600x1440 so even a 2080ti doesnt quite hold constant 60fps.

rl66 likes this.
  4. bobrix

bobrix Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 970@1542/8000
    With 5 1660ti, you can make whooping 6$ per day......... Amazing income, news from china mans ass.

5. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    These news don´t make much sense for me but it doesn´t matter, unless the new generation from Nvidia comes with (much) lower prices i won´t buy a new GPU so soon... I have to cherish my 1080Ti like it´s the last videocard in the world...

ubronan likes this.
  6. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Convenient timing for mining again. Was already worried about nvidia's pricing. Think it might just be console time.

wavetrex likes this.
  7. ubronan

ubronan Guest

GPU:
    1070 OC 8 Gb
    Actually they use any graphic card because they made high profits on them and sell them as almost new most of the time.
    In my country i constant see the same people sell the same cards over and over, claiming never been used for mining.
    But when you buy that crap its probably soon going to give you artifacts or worse.
    Mining absolutely destroys the hardware sooner because not one card is made to run 24/7/365 besides the prosumer ones which costs ALOT more. Thats why they kinda allways underperform when you compare them with gamer cards.
    They are simply limited to last longer and will take much longer to give problems.
    I have been mining with any card i could afford and used up to 16 cards from both manufactors, at the end i destroyed them because almost all had issues and artifacts after this stressfull running 24/7 for as long as i mined.
    However fact is that the mining has become so massive that GPU mining is a thing of the paste, in my country it costs more on energy and the extra taxes on it + the cards prices that its absolutely no longer possible to make even a small profit.
    What most forget is that you constant have to upgrade those cards to keep up with the difficulty increase, so from your so called profit you buy newer and faster cards. After the insane price increases it became even harder to make any profit at all.
    In fact at the end i lost alot of money because the whole stuff often ends in a bang and leaves with worthless crap of coins.
    The fact that custom made miners at superlarge scale are build, we as a minority can not keep up with all that mining crazyness in the eastern countries, nor can the usa people with low energy prices. These super miners are simply so insane powerfull that nothing can give you any profit.
    These miners sell the coins constant which lets the price drop, then they switch on another coin till that drops or switch to the most profitable they can do So its now big rich people who made a fortune at the crazy old times who are the only ones gettting richer.
    Not the ones trying to grab a small profit, because in the end you end up loosing anyway.

My honest advise stay away from that criminal and toxic environment and find a more rewarding way to earn some extra cash.
    That way you will be better off

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  8. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Most of the setups that I saw at my friends touched by this craziness were AMD not Nvidia...also from what I know AMD not Nvidia excels at mining.

Maybe "the source" is colorblind - seeing green when it was in fact red???

9. ubronan

ubronan Guest

GPU:
    1070 OC 8 Gb
    I fully agree on that statement, now i am actually sad that i used all the 1080 Ti i had for mining.
    From the 16 cards i burned with mining non could run my games anymore without crashing or having weird screen issues.
    With mining i could have kept going because somehow they work differently or maybe because you do not see anything on them its not showing in the mining world, But as i said before the costs of mining was so high that i lost money on the energy prices constant going up.
    At the end i tried them all for gaming and could not find one which would not fail when playing games.
    Sure i could have sold them, but i am simply not a "criminal" and sell my crap to someone expecting to buy a good card.
    Most of the people who buy second hand, do not have deep money pockets.
    So that is out of the question.

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    The mining craze is why I have refused, for years, to even consider a used GPU.

Anecdotally, there's some locals who have been trying to sell their old mining gear on CL for a long time. Starting at some absurd number and now it's going for pennies on the dollar. No one wants it. It warms my heart to keep seeing that mining rig not selling. I hope that means mining is effectively dead. Sick of PC parts getting marked up like crazy for these d-bags who then destroy it and try to resell it as normal.

11. Middleman

Middleman Guest

GPU:
    1070TI
    This is just the marketing and sales team testing the waters to see what kind of reaction people have and what type of B.S they can get away with.

Legacy-ZA and Serotonin like this.
  12. ubronan

ubronan Guest

GPU:
    1070 OC 8 Gb
    Well it depends on what coin constrruction your mining, both have their strong points, and raw powerwise the AMD are really faster at alot of calculations. While nvidia has the better language to address the cards with more commands available.
    Those who think its the same as in gaming must take their blindfold off and see that each has its strong points.
    There are many different programs out there who favor one of the other and that will not change both sides have their pro and cons.
    I actually wanted to replace the nvidia cards with radeon VII but then the prices went up like mad, because i was not the only one wanting them.
    But they became so expenssive that buying the watercooled ones was so insanely priced that i decided to stop all together.

13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    ASICs are only appealing to long-term miners, because they have no resale value. I'm sure the mining craze coming back is because of the ever-increasing unemployment rate worldwide, so, it's smarter to buy something you can actually sell.

14. ubronan

ubronan Guest

GPU:
    1070 OC 8 Gb
    I think those who buy the new cards are actually really buying hot air like M$ sells
    Do not get me wrong i actually fully agree that AMD and nvidia both are have made a deal, see each time if something is slower that type x the price is nearly matching the price of the others counterpart.
    But you can not exactly understand why ones favors one or the other, most often out of fanboyism
    I do not favor one or the other i simply take the one i want to afford or use the one which has the most performance for what i need or want to do

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Remember when a Ti 4600 was like, $499.99 and there were only 3 variations. ti 4200, ti 4400, ti 4600. What happened to those days? So convoluted now and way too pricey. I really hope AMD is competitive in performance this round to make pricing competitive. PC gaming just isn't worth this much money anymore. Not when the exclusive games are on consoles nowadays.

Legacy-ZA likes this.

16. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I have never had a mining card go bad,give me trouble ever. Now there are bad video cards out there that just fail. I would have no problem buying a mining card used.If I did buy a used mining card and there was artifacts then one would need to repaste the mining card and I bet that would be a fix for 99% of any mining card artifacts .

17. ubronan

ubronan Guest

GPU:
    1070 OC 8 Gb
    Really well most miners only care about the profit and no when you are mining with these cards your damaging them, telling otherwise is showing that you are just like the others only caring about YOUR wallet.
    I have been mining since the start so stop telling BS
    Those who now am making profit steal energy or am mining on others cost which is in mind a criminal act.
    Honesty is in the mining world is not favored...
    Thats why i left the whole crap.

18. lot of clickbait lately...

19. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    "The demand for virtual currency "mining" has increased and will increase significantly in the near future. The market demand for popular mid-end mainstream models such as GTX 1660 Super and RTX 2060 is very strong. Therefore, after entering the third quarter, the Turing series GPU chip production capacity will be significantly reduced, and there may be a shortage of chip supply, which will also cause the price of graphics cards to rise." reports China-based mydrivers.

It's difficult to determine the accuracy on this report of a mining resurgence, but, if the GTX 1660 hadn't been mentioned, I would have theorized that some clever individuals had developed a way of re-purposing RTX-cores into a more efficient/productive means of mining.

*If* that proved to be true, it would be a bit foreboding with regard to the launch of both Nvidia's and AMD's next generation of graphic cards, as I would expect that all, or nearly all, of them would have some degree of RT capability. If the RT ability isn't the attraction, perhaps it's the presence of high-frequency GDDR6 VRAM that makes certain cards desirable.

A return of graphics card-based mining would also put additional pressure on the already limited ability to purchase a reasonably decent PSU for anything less than the price of a Tesla Model X.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'd like to remind everyone we all have massive massive backlogs of very nice older games. Don't tell me you don't. :D