Is AMD readying three-core processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Well here's something you'd not expect. According to several internet reports AMD is planning on launching a new line of three-core processors sometime in the near future. Yep that sounds weird but...

More...

2. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    Edit: Oops, wrong thread.

3. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    its weird cause its not in binary order :p
    1 2 4 8 16
    see no 3 :D

4. mameira

mameira Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    maybe 2 for CPU dutys and 1 core dedicated to memory, gpu and sound?

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That is kind of weird...

But I guess it'd be good for people on budget who want more than a dual core cpu. Well, IBM though did it with the cpu in the 360.

6. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    maybe one of the reasons is that there are so many dual core intel cpu's out there in laptops and desktops and when people go to buy a new computer they will see one of them has 2 cores and another has 3 which could make AMD some needed money

7. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    It's the same reason CPUs with half cache deactivated are sold: yields.
    What do you do if one core in four is bad? Throw it away or sell the other three?

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb

was going to post the same thing..

considering the yields are expected to be terrible on Barcelona might as well sell 3 cored ones

9. rickyboy

rickyboy Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte gtx 670 oc
    that's the most reasonable explanation i've heard so far and may i add, it is indeed a plausible solution to their problem.

10. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Thats what I was going to say, tho a quick google didn't return any results, but I'm sure I read about it in the past few weeks.

11. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    No, it's not. It's just a way to increase revenue.
    What they need is killer performance, because outside of server market, not many users are willing to pull a sheet of paper and try to figure out who offers the best performance per watt or performance per gigahertz (AMD is way too strapped for cash right now to even consider performance per dollar). Users will just buy the fastest.

12. krisby

krisby Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    I disagree, I've built 4 computers in the past 4 months, one for me and one 3 for mates, all were AMD X2 and were based on performance per dollar and that my mates didn't want to overclock, so it was a matter of getting the highest performing CPU for their budget, at $250NZ for a CPU, AMD came off best.

Example, today a C2D 6420 @ 2.13ghz is $264, an X2 6000 @ 3Ghz is $252. I would assume an X3 would be clocked slower, but perhaps the same performance as an X2 6000, and perhaps the same price, but still beating the C2D for the same $$$.

Not everyone can afford the fastest, and even reading on these forums it seems a lot of people have a budget for an individual component or their whole system, surely people do research first and work out the best bang for their buck as a matter of course.

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    yeah this will help them compete with intel... pff i really want to see good stuff from them, i hope barcelona will get them back in the game

14. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    it's also based on the fact that utilizing more than 2 threads is always hard. Most games, even the most multithreaded ones are usually one massive thread and several supporting threads , which dont increase performance by the number of cores.

So it makes great sense to offer users a 3 core solution, which IMO gives the system 2 cores for games and apps, and another core to keep the OS in check. That way processors are also cheaper, lower yields are less costly ( as said here ) and users benefit from a processors which outdones the dual cores, but doesnt shy from the quad cores ( which so far have no real use ).

15. Lostfaith

Lostfaith Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 8800GTS 320MB SC // X1250
    hehehe, my stupid prediction for the day will be 6 core (3 glued dual cores) answer from Intel (btw is it possible?)

16. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    any number of cores work. Although the trend has been binary so far ( 1-2-4 ) 7 is as good a number as any. The ps3 has seven.
    the computer knows how to utilize them as long as your program is multithreaded enough. Game so far arent , by nature very multithreaded.

So for your question if its possible, it is.
    U just gotta use very strong glue on each core and make sure they stick.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    The PS3's Cell has 8 cores but 1 is disabled possibly to increase yields. 8 "Synergistic Processing Elements" and 1 "Power Processor Element" which apparently a 2-way multithreaded core, however that works. So I suppose that means you could call it a 9 cored CPU if you include the PPE...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  18. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB