Is a 2600k worth upgrading to from a 920?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by DrHycodan, Oct 21, 2011.

1. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Or should I wait until SB-E and IB?

2. crap daddy

crap daddy Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX960 SSC
    I assume the 920 is overclocked then I'd say no. First 2 SB-E will be out next month but at a price which I'd say it's not worth it - for gaming that is - IB on the other hand will be a little better Sandy at 22nm, lower power consumption higher overclock capabilities.

3. midweskid

midweskid Guest

If you like to blow money on upgrades when they are not needed, then get the 2600k. Your cpu will easily be competitive 1-2 generations after IB. If you had a q9550 I would recommend IB.

4. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    The 2600k will stand its ground against the new cpu's.
    Still, if you're in the market for an upgrade, you could wait for the new releases, your current cpu will last you some time still.

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Can’t speak for the 920, but I’ll be holding on to this 760 for some time to come, got my money’s worth out of Intel on this one ;)

6. Snarl

Snarl Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
    I would say no, I have i7 930 and I've yet to come across any performance issues. I know many who are still getting by fine on a Q6600.

7. Aioras

Aioras Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    Not worth, if you oc that i7 920 you´re still on the edge for a few months.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Wait till after ib and sbe your by far lacking in the cpu department

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Wait until at least Ivy Bridge......unless you come across an app your processor just simply can't run.

10. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    as the others said wait. you have a very capable cpu right now

11. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    But is it limiting my 2x 580's in SLI?

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I would oc the chip to around 4ghz and you will be fine

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    ^^^^^
    This .the upgrade isn't enough I don't think to justify switching platforms entirely at least until IB to see what the performance numbers are then.Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket.:)

14. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080 Strix
    doubtful unless you are running several monitors,... i think that makes sense? if you find a cheap 1366 go for it, otherwise wait.

15. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Simply OC it, if that TRUE cooler is not sufficient enough then get your self a Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright SilverArrow, or if you case can hold it a Corsair H100 and OC the hell out of that CPU, with any of these coolers 4GHz will be easy to obtain. Then it will feed your 580's easily. A friend of mine has the same CPU as you (which is my old CPU that I sold to him) and he has 2 580's he simply OC'd the 920 to 4.2GHz with a H100 and his performance in most games went up by around 15-20% (in games that actually use SLI well that is).

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I'm perfectly happy with my 950. Stay where ya are for now mate and you'll be fine. I'll be eyeing up IB too.

17. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    on average intel GPU last for 2 to 3 generation once OCed to the max, i have tried Q9650@4.2ghz+790I+560TIx2 in SLI (equal to a 590 mind you) and not noticed a more than a single digit FPS difference next to a I7 920@4ghz+x58+560ti sli Oo

the CPU usage was higher indeed, but the maximum FPS was exactly the same as the GPUs were still the one bottlenecking the setup. 3Dmark11 tell you the I7 setup is better, and in a emperical way it's true when it come to applications, but from a gamer point of view only it would have been a totally wasted upgrade.

now in your particular case, if you CPU is OCed to say 4ghz, i don't think it'll be much of a bottleneck to your SLI.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  18. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    Also for gaming. Your not going to see a performance difference.

Your not going to see a difference in normal PC activity. Net, Videos, browing, pics.

If you do video editing or audio production your still fine with the 920. Waiste of money and motherboard.

Games take up about 70 percent CPU usgae .. barely use 3 cores. No difference, pointless ugprade.. close thread ,,