irql_not_less_or_equal - 8800gtx

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jessika_nq, Jan 14, 2008.

1. jessika_nq

jessika_nq New Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800GTX 768MB DDR3
    Hi there,

It's my first post here, I'm sorry I'm just comming just to ask for help, I hope I can support in other threads, altought I'm a begginner :nerd:

Ok, I have a new pc (2 month) Asus p5kc motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo, nvidia 8800gtx, x2 2GB ddr2, 500gb hd, which used to work fine until new year arrived (what a start). Everytime I play a video or try to play some games on Windows Xp pro, I get a blue screen "irql_not_less_or_equal" with some long message stop: 0000000a....
    If I try to play these videos on my Vista partition everything works fine, I also can play games there. I've tried to remove video card drivers on XP, and then playing the videos again, and it doesn't crash!!! I've tried both download the latest nvidia drivers and with my original cd, but after installing them I tried to play the video and the same blue screen is there... :bang:

I've tried to find this problem around google but I just can't find any answer!. Someone suggested to try with memtest, I did let it working all night but it didn't found any error.

Does anyone know why can this happen? Thanks in advance and sorry for my english!

2. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    This is in most cases a memory error, memtest is not always the most reliable test for memory. Try using prime95's blend test for a few hours, also try relaxing/inreasing your memory timings as well as if you are comfortable changing voltages, giving the memory an extra 0.1v.

Also try cleaning out your system using driver cleaner pro from safe mode before installing other drivers, let me recommend the 163.75 whql.

3. HaZe303

HaZe303 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Its an urban legend that bsod´s are caused by bad memory. This is just not true. There are thousands of other reasons you get BSOD´s, where bad ram is a very small part of the problems. My experiance is that most BSOD´s are due to bad drivers and bad programming in software. Have you installed all important Hotfixes for Win Xp?? Or just stay with Vista, it is more stable than XP is. Sure you get a minimal performance hit in some games, but with youre hardware you should get good performance anyway, so what does 3-5 fps more give you anyway?? Its more important to have a stable system, than the very small performance increase?

4. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    This is a bad driver problem, not a memory issue. Check all your drivers and most especially Creative Lab's drivers. Ensure they are the latest and greatest. Advise you remove the drivers beforehand from Add/Remove programs if applicable and also delete their directories after. For example, C:\Program Files\Creative

5. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    There's 2 different things about this as far as I know.
    DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL and IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.

have you overclocked either your ram or your cpu, or both?
    verify you have the latest drivers to all installed hardware
    Check http://driveragent.com/, install plugin and just check if you have latest drivers for all your hardware, if you subscribe to driveragent it will also give you links for latest drivers for each of your hardware installed.
    But the scan is free, and you can check if you have any bad drivers.

6. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    i always though that error was related to GPU drivers i got it alot with the 168.28 drivers , installed new drivers and the problem went away

7. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    I also got many a BSOD with 168.28 also X3 Reunion crashes a lot with this driver. 163.75 is way more stable with WinXP, is my experience.

8. jessika_nq

jessika_nq New Member

GPU:
    Asus 8800GTX 768MB DDR3
    Thank you all for the prompt answers!

I also think (and hope) it's not a memory issue, anyways I'll check prime95 tonight.

I've installed all xp hotfixs, I've checked all my drivers and I don't have any creative lab's stuff since I have a realtek onboard one. I've visited http://driveragent.com and seems like i have 100% of my drivers right.
    Also I haven't overclocked anything.

Can be this a windows xp issue? I'm thinking in reinstalling it

Thank you again! :)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  9. bfGDennis

bfGDennis Master Guru

GPU:
    Bfg GTX 295
    I get that error when I OC my PC over that it can support..just follow what people have suggested

10. Helpful

Helpful Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti

11. Ppzek

Ppzek Member

GPU:
    MSI 6870
    HI, i had that same problem and tried everything.....i mean everything...
    One day, i took my usb wireless adapter off and voilá. Problem gone. I plug it again and i got BSOD again.

good luck

12. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    The problem is not limited to any piece of hardware. I know it's not a memory error. As a matter of fact MS specifically told me this error is related to a corrupt driver. What you can do is try disabling as much of your peripherals as you can. Printer port, Ethernet cards, sound etc.. You will eventually find what is causing it. I had this problem and it was the EMU10K driver from Creative. Even with installing other drivers this driver would stick in the system. I eventually cleared it out based on a forum post on Creatives site. Required purging Registry entries and hidden directories where creative stores crap. I haven't seen this error ever since...

13. CharlieSimon

CharlieSimon Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 970
    No offense, but Microsofts tech support is a ****ty support.

And to straighten this out again.

There's 2 versions of IRQL.

Either it's DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL or its simply
    IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I'm getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL if i overclock my RAM to much.
    While other people get it from overclocking their for example GPU.

If it's DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, it's obviously a driver related problem.
    Perhaps old drivers crashing with new ones.
    Drivers from one hardware that doesnt get along with another piece of hardware. etc etc.

No flame or anything intended.

14. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    I also get this error when overclocking in relation to the nb needing more power, reason being the nb contains the memory controller.

15. archie123

archie123 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    well i was getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and it was my gpu drivers :p

16. bjorn1310

bjorn1310 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6990
    As mentioned here it could be different reason for the irql error. A few check points:
    Is the error persistent or random? If random, it could be too many things to mention here. If it's persistent:

Does it happens before the OS starts loading? If so it's a hardware issue (bad RAM, overclock settings, BIOS issue etc).

Does it happen during boot? If so, it's most likely a driver issue and more often that not, it's the display drivers. Try booting in safe mode in this case.

Good luck.

17. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    winXP uses Kernel mode when loading drivers.
    V1STA uses User mode when loading drivers, hence you're more likely to get BSOD with XP on an overclocked machine.
    On the other hand User mode needs more resources, hence the performance drop in games.
    I personally like to fine-tune my XP install and use this as my preference gaming OS.
    It's a matter of personal taste, to love or hate both OSes.
    Greetz!!!

18. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    Ah sorry dude! I didn't actually notice that. For some reason I thought your message was DRIVER_IRQL.. I'll look closer next time, sorry. Still, there should be more information pertaining to what is causing the problem. Check your event logs etc. Remove any and all drivers installed, clean registry of any leftover entries and delete the installation directories. That includes, display driver. Remove everything except your keyboard and mouse from all ports. It's a lousy problem to solve.. Good luck.

19. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    True. I've had IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs before and Memtest seemingly said everything was ok with the RAM. But actually it wasn't.

The program that detected there were problems was Gold Memory. I swapped RAM and problem solved. It's a very good RAM testing program I highly recommend it.

20. jbgoode

jbgoode Master Guru

GPU:
    275GTX /GTX580
    jessika_nqis also using 4GIGS of RAM.Another reason for winXP error.