IRQ Conflict 980TI and HD Audio Controller

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Mechwarrior419, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    IRQ Sharing 980TI and HD Audio Controller

Hello everyone,

like the title says I am experiencing an IRQ conflict with my GPU and what I believe is the Nvidia HDMI audio controller. Luckily I'm not experiencing any issues typically associated with IRQ conflicts, but as I understand it modern hardware seldom encounters IRQ sharing conflicts.

I would appreciate anyones feedback on wether or not this something I should worry about. Oddly when I go to the properties page in the device manager for the gpu and check the resources tab it says no conflicts reported, but if I run msinfo32.exe It shows that my 980 TI is sharing IRQ 16 with HD Audio Controller.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    What do you mean by "conflict" ?
    It is called IRQ sharing. Not a good thing but not a deadly one. You can use tool from this
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044
    to switch your GPU to the mode without IRQ - to avoid sharing (but if do this you will have to repeat after every new driver installation, bc NV installer reverts card back to IRQ mode).

If all works fine then you should not worry.

3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    If there are no problems, it is not a conflict.
    Saying "I am experiencing an IRQ conflict" and then "Luckily I'm not experiencing any issues" are the conflict.

ps your ram is running awfully slow at 320MHz.

4. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    Yes guys I'm sorry I wasn't more clear, IRQ Conflict should really be IRQ Sharing.
    The only reason I was worried is because I was under the impression sharing shouldn't really be happening these days. But I'll give that utility I go and see if I notice any changes.

And mufflore your absolutely right my ram does seem to be running a bit slow lol.

Edit:

I downloaded the utility that you linked but there doesn't seem to be any documentation on how to use it. Could someone possibly shed some some light on this.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    The two 'devices' are on the same PCIe bus.
    Of course the are going to share the same IRQ.

Anyways, you can use the MSI tool from mbk's thread to easily change devices to MSI mode to ensure that any devices are not sharing IRQs.

6. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Member

GPU:
    980TI 1515mhz Core
    Yea Agent thats what I figured since the two devices use the same physical slot.

Right now I'm experimenting with mbk's utility. I forgot to run it with admin priviledges and was wondering why it kept saying 0 devices found.

When I run it in admin mode the utility now displays the gpu and audio controller. I click the checkbox next to both then I clicked apply however it appears that nothing is being changed. When I click refresh the utility indicates that the IRQ assignments remain at 16 for both devices. I thought they would change to a negative number.

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It IS what's happening these days. It didn't happen in the past. If two devices shared the same IRQ, it was a conflict and you got crashes, hang-ups, etc.

Then IRQ sharing was invented and the issue was solved.

If that bothers you, then switch your GPU from IRQ to MSI mode, as described here:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378044

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti + Xtreme III
    Reboot.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Do not switch all devices at once, because you can receive BSOD at boot stage.
    Do not touch SATA controllers with MS drivers if you are in Win7, Win8 - they do not utilize MSI mode and will give BSOD.
    Do not bother with USB2 controllers - they do not utilize MSI mode and just ignores the setting.
    After you checked device in MSI utility and rebooted test device for a correct functioning.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    correct me if i wrong but the gpu audio (HD audio Controller) which used for HDMI use same irq cause they basicly the same device?

Now if say your On board sound card or dedicated sound card are on same irq as the GPU then i could see problem,

I mean granted you can force the gpu driver in to MSI mode and wont be sharing but it still the same device?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070

May be not. They definitely do not share drivers, they can have different I/O ports and memory ranges (at work now so can`t check that). So from OS point of view they can be two different independent devices.