Iphone over hyped!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by sony1978a, Feb 24, 2010.

1. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I think you all need to back off, I've seen the latest iPhone TV advert and the iPhone 4 has a mother ****ing Lithium Polymer battery!!!!!!1111
    Wait? What? My 5+ year old phone also has one of them? Oh right? Why the **** did Apple make a whole TV ad just about that then?

2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Lithium Polymer isn't the same as Lithium Ion is it?

I'm sure a lot of old stuff used Lithium Ions, but Lithium Polymers are slightly different.

Probably why they mentioned it.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Can't say i'm a fanboy of any phone, it's one piece of tech i just don't see the point in, Nokia N80 FTW lol.

But i do have close non tech liking people around me who do have fancy new phones, so i've had alot of time to play about, so will do a half drunken review of the three i've spent time with.

Brother in law has an iphone4, great phone, OS is very smooth and responsive, better than i expected, the detail the screen can pull out is stunning, camera and video quality are very good, and up there with the best, especially with still images.
    Negatives, phone is too expensive for what you get, and the app's are more often than not overpriced.

My GF has a Samsung Galaxy, and the screen quality is just amazing, it might not have the amount of detail the iphone4 has, but it has black levels that make my TV jealous, colour accuracy is a touch off, but shove an HD CGI movie on there and it can be jaw droppingly good, the camera quality isn't great though, especially at low light levels, but the HD video recording is the best i've saw on a phone, as is sound quality on video recording.
    Android Marketplace is also a dream, so many hours can be wasted on free app's and games, and the visuals on some shocked me with how good they were.

My younger brother has a HTC Desire HD, screen quality is abit below both the iphone4 and Samsung Galaxy, def quite washed out looking, with neither the detail of the iphone4, or the smoothness and black levels of the Galaxy, but damn is it huge, on paper you don't think it will be much bigger, but in reality it is, unfortunately this will mean its hard to use for those with small hands, but for clumsy people like me, its the easiest to use out the three.
    Image quality on the camera is better than the Galaxy, but not as good as the iphone4, while HD video seems to be behind the Galaxy, and on par with the iphone4.
    The wonders of the Android Marketplace also apply here, maybe even moreso, and the HTC Features on it are pretty sweet from a tech point of view, and also a real life useful feature.

If i had to pick one, i would go for the Desire HD, screen wise its easily the worst, and is a touch large, but its the fastest out the three, and is the easiest to use for those of us with large hands.

If the iphone4 was the same price as the rest, had less overpriced app's it would probably be the all round best phone, but at present, it comes third in my placing.

4. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    It is indeed, but as I said I have old things with Lithium Polymer batteries, this is the earliest I have to hand but have older, this is why I hate Apple, they try and mug off the customers with marketing crap most of it is old and they try and mislead people into thinking it's new, apparently it's working aswell:

[​IMG]

5. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I finally got around to trying to jailbreak again and now that I got it working good I am loving my Iphone 3gs even more. Playing nes, snes, and genesis games? Win.
    Customizing message tones, lock screen, themes, all win. Yes other phones do this, but honestly, I've tried other phones.. they do not play games as smooth and generally are not as fluid going in between screens as an Iphone.

People will always bash the top of the hill phone claiming it is bested by this and that for enth degree of reasons, but at the end of the day I ask, who gives a phuck? I love this phone and I didn't buy it because its popular, or because I love apple (which I don't) or because its some tech from the future that no other phone has, I bought it because it does everything I want just like I want it. End of story.

[​IMG]

From a marketing standpoint this is exactly one of the reasons I dislike Apple.. no question about it. Do I even think of this when it comes to Iphone? Not one bit. But unlike many others I'm sure who get all their information about products from advertisments and marketing, I tend to go by the hard facts and the usage, like I would hope most gurus on here would.

Let the marketing people do their stupid gimmicks and catchphrases, certainly does not affect my position on a service or device. You can make all the pretty and catchy marketing in the world, if what they're selling is $hit, its $hit.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    There are still a lot of phones that probably do use Li-Ions. So while they might stretch the truth, there is also a bit of truth in there.

Why such the hate for Apple anyway, if you don't like it, then don't buy their stuff or anything else.

There are plenty of happy Apple customers out there who don't care or have such strong hate towards other products.

I'm not particularly fussed on Android, but hey, doesn't worry me if people want to use it, I'll continue to use what I want and be happy, and you use what you want and be happy.

Show some love and relax ;)

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I have 4 iPods.... I can still hate them :p, I don't hate ipods (except the shuffle), don't like macs or iphones though, it's more the been told their awesome, but when my flat mate comes asking to use my PC every so often because she's found yet another website that won't work, then I get a nice grin on my face after the amount I'm told I should get one. I've had iPods since 2004 and when you've had so many (family have had 5 in that time aswell), you can see the quality and service decreasing over time, most won't notice but it's happened.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've used Apple products right the way before the iPod even came out.

Their quality has increased, and their support has as well. Apple have ranked as probably one of the best up there for me, and I've dealt with them a lot.

I also see how strong their products are working in a school compared to other products. They far outlast any of our other equipment, particularly the laptops.

It's a bit much to say how much you hate Apple, but continue to use their products. If you hate them so much, just go by a Zune or some other mp3 player.

9. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    No, because I like iPods, well here's my experience:
    First iPod, a 20GB 3G, came with dock, case, inline remote, charger, even little extras like dust protectors for the dock connector, still working 6 years on.
    Most recent ipod, a 32GB Touch 3G, came with nothing not even a charger, had it two months and the screen is coming out of the casing already (iPod has never been dropped and is cosmetically perfect).

Dropped support for firewire so everything charges slower, syncs slower and doesn't work with any old equipment, not only that, also changed the audio output on the dock connector to sabotage old accessories.

Down hill.

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Sorry but most of that is laughable.

Technology progresses, I've got several chargers here that plug into 240V with the USB connector, which is just the dock connector.

As for the screen coming out, then that's a fault, if you sent it back it would be fixed.

You can't exactly say just because you bought a few iPods that every single iPod out there is rubbish and has problems.

And yes, I'll admit it was nice having Firewire back in the day, but with the availability with USB on everything, seems silly to hold onto the more legacy connections.

11. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    my droid 1/2 battery says lithium ion polymer. apple = scam

12. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I just watched that Ad you're complaining about, what's the problem?

All it says, with the new Lithium Polymer battery, you can do things for longer and it lasts longer.

It says no where that their iPhone has significantly out done any one phone, or saying they're the first to use it or any other rubbish. And they've probably always used LiPol in their phones, but they've managed to pack them tighter and use better circuitry in them to make them last longer. So I really don't see the problem.

And my iPhone will last longer than previous batteries and any other phone I've owned. So they are very accurate in what they are saying.
    And it lasts longer than their previous generations.

They have put a lot of work into their batteries too, all you need to do is look at the laptop range. Their batteries far outlast a lot of other PC laptops out there with the amount of space they're working with.
    So yes, you probably can get a Dell laptop with all these horrible big bulky packs that click in, but it ads quite a lot of weight and takes up quite a bit of space compared to Apples.

You're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Re-reading through the last couple pages of this thread, it certainly reads this way.

Seems like many people share this view.. look no further than the Iphone pages of GSMArena or even in the forums at Engadget.. people just get off on bashing Apple stuff.

Again, think whatever you want about the marketing and the hype and whatnot, but at the end of the day does it work? is it reliable? does it make you happy? This should be all that's important.. all else is just extraneous BS that could be ignored.. people just have to complain about something I guess.
    All devices will have problems here and there.. get over it.

14. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    And to be perfectly honest, if they are selling these iPhones purely from their marketing.........the Nokia and HTC and whoever else need to FIRE who is currently doing their marketing, and get cracking, because Marketing sells your product.

That's their job, to make money. If these other companies aren't selling enough, then they should do something about it.

I hardly ever see other ads for mobiles. Yet Apple are always ontop of it. It's SMART advertising.

15. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    Heh.. what exactly would Nokia market right about now I wonder? yikes for Nokia.. they really got sideswiped by the whole "smartphone" thing it would seem.

I haven't been bothered much by Apple's marketing, though I almost ignore it completely. There is one ad that always makes me lol though, for Iphone 4 and it is a play off of the 3gs ad that just says "this changes everything. Again".

Really? Again? Cmon. Nicer screen, yes. Front facing camera and facetime, yes. New body design and materials, yes. Changing everything? hardly.

16. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Well the Retina display was quite a jump, and the design was much nicer, and finally a front facing camera and decent one too.

So probably not "Changing everything" but it was a good improvement over their old stuff, regardless to what their phone is compared to everyone else, who has been in the business for quite a long time compared to Apples phone. They should have no excuse.

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    What goods a front camera when it can't make video calls though really.

18. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've used it quiet a few times as a mirror, and I've had Facetime chats before, they work well.

I'm waiting for Skype to open up to place video calls, but I suspect that's probably not far off.

You can't just instantly add all these features. Apple have been in the phone market for 4 years.

That is no time at all compared to how long Windows has been on the phone, or Nokia has been in the business.

Nokia have been in it for how many year? 20+
    HTC have been doing phones since 2002.

So yea, other than Facetime. Which I've used many of a times, I suspect they will open up the front facing camera to other Apps sometime soon.
    You need to build the framework for this, and they're still very new at it and learning. But judging from what they've done so far, I'd say they are on the right track.

19. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I do think that not using the standard video calling system that all other companies use is a big omission though. If I want right now I can video call SE, Nokia, HTC, Motorola, Samsung phones.

20. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The main reason why I do not have an Iphone is because I simply do not see the need for one.

I have a simple phone, it texts, calls people, and lets me play a few shovelware games on the go when a bus/train journey gets a little too boring.

What I really, really, hate about the Iphone is the type of people it has spawned. Crazed stupid people who simply can not live without it consistently attached to their faces every minute of every day. People who go out of their way to let you know they have one, people who say "Oh, hang on I will just check that actors name on IMDB... on my Iphone". Ok we get it, your a retard who has no real friends, only facebook friends!