Ion Fury (new Build engine fps!)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by AsiJu, Mar 3, 2018.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    55MB and more fun than a modern 55GB game.

insp1re2600, Petr V, G*addict and 4 others like this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i wouldn't mind a build remake of blood 2 and blood 3 sequel.

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    It is not a "female version of Duke3D".

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I read a few reviews (just for giggles, I already know the game is great first hand) and, surprisingly enough, certain PC gaming site was again able to focus on just about everything but the things you should focus on (same writer too).

I won't even link the article / site, you can surely find it, but just an excerpt from the beginning:

"I probably didn’t grow up when you did. I feel the need to get that out of the way early, because this review is largely going to be about how Ion Fury’s old-school sensibilities clash with my own."

Immediately warranting the question allright, so why are you reviewing this game then?
    (Reading on makes it clear this person has no understanding of how a first-person shooter, especially an old-school one, works.
    Which I guess is an achievement in itself for a games journalist...).

Others I read pretty much praise the game so no problems there!
    Yes obviously this type of game isn't for everyone and that's fine, but as I, for example, don't understand how open-heart surgery works, neither do I write criticism about it acting as if I'm in a place to judge.

Anyhow pointless ranting over, let's go shoot some baddies old school!

Archvile82, Kolt and Netherwind like this.

5. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah, RPS said they intentionally gave the review to someone who was NOT a fan of Duke3D and Blood.
    Which, seems like a really stupid idea because the game was made for people who were fans of those kind of games.

6. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep. I mean I get the 'second opinion' type thing but know your beans.

Still, looking forward to getting to properly play this! Finally it's out!

7. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 MSI GX Trio
    Naw, I'm 30 and my first experience properly playing the original DOOM was on the GBA port, they're just well made good games, no nostalgia about it. They're diamonds in the rough recently, a majority of modern shooters (and a good handful of other modern games) are too hand-holdy, story focused, cinematic experiences, which, if that's your bag, cool. They can still be enjoyable.

I prefer more "show, don't tell" sorts of games where control isn't (or is rarely) taken away from the player. All these recent oldskool style FPS games tick all my boxes, the combat feels raw and not bogged down with gimmicks that slow the game, and the secrets actually feel like they're hidden well and are rewarding to work out.

The biggest offender for me, I've received a fair bit of flak for this opinion in the past, but I found DOOM 2016 to be tedious to play due to the constant stop/start glory kills. You either waste ammo on the enemies finishing them off, or get rewarded for watching a 5 second cutscene.
    That ain't for me, I want to be the one finishing them off.

If this game doesn't look like your cup of tea, at least have a look into DUSK, that whole game is an expertly crafted labour of love and may help you see why people love this sub genre of FPS so much.

As a side note, I started playing Quake II RTX which I was sort of meh about until I picked up some beefy weapons, now I definitely see what all the fuss was about when the game originally came out.

AsiJu and Kolt like this.
  8. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    RPS is garbage.. this just proves it even more so. The guy should NOT have reviewed the game. It's OK to review a game that you don't normally play as long as you try to understand the genre you are playing and be open-minded towards what you are getting into. The guy who reviewed that game doesn't sound like the type of person who should be reviewing things if he can't open his mind more and wrap his head around the game design.

I saw GGManlives review as well and he complained that the game wasn't exactly re-inventing the wheel or adding all sorts of crazy new weapons types, otherwise he liked it. I can understand that side of it better (as games like Blood/Hexen really went all out with the cool weapon types), but still, not every game has to do something crazy and invent new mechanics. I think most people really hyped for this game just really wanted exactly what it turned out to be.. a new old-school game that we just don't get anymore. I honestly think they should have gone this route with Duke Nukem Forever instead of what we got (a wannabe "modern" shooter).. I know I would have liked it a lot more.

AsiJu likes this.
  9. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Gmanlives has also been complaining recently that he's "tired" and "burnt out" on retro FPS games.

Plus, he rushes his reviews out.
    Like, his complaints on there not being enough ammo... please. There's ammo all over the place.
    Plus, he seems to have missed that with the Ion Bow, you can overcharge the weapon and it will destroy anything in front of you.

Also, the "Clusterpuck" that he said wasn't very useful, has a massive alt-fire that devastates a room. Plus, can be placed on walls and used as a proximity mine.

Kolt likes this.
  10. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Played for an hour yesterday, what a game! So nostalgic!
    Great soundtrack, nice looking graphics, sprites everywhere :)

The only downside is that I cannot play it anything above 60fps or it gets really choppy, probably because my screen isn't 100Hz but 95Hz which could confuse the game.

11. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Got to play an hour or two last night and yep, just as good as I hoped and remembered! Didn't play the Preview Campaign much to keep things fresh until release.

As for weapons they all feel good to use and have their purpose, plus look good, so absolutely no problems there. Not every game needs to have outlandish weapons.
    I actually prefer down-to-earth approach here, as I've mentioned before probably.

Level design is superb, secret hunting is fun and they're cleverly hidden, combat is the best Build engine has ever had meaning really good.
    Btw about the reviews; one mentioned (forgot which but likely that "certain" one) the auto aim kept throwing his aim off and that it bothered him because it cannot be turned off.
    Yeah.... as far as I know the release version hasn't been patched and there's an autoaim option in the menu. That actually defaults to off.

I can only assume this particular "expert" confused autoaim to bullet spread. Or was actually playing a completely different game.

EDIT: seems reviewers used a 0.96 version of the game, or the review version, whereas retail is 1.0. Still, from the video reviews it's clear this option was present with 0.96 as well.

@Netherwind
    just cap the fps with RTSS and set the ingame limit to something way higher and ingame Vsync off.

I'm using 120 fps cap (144 Hz Gsync) and butter smooth. If using the ingame cap of 144 motion was a bit choppy, probably because the actual framerate fluctuates and keeps going over 144 Hz.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Netherwind likes this.
  12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thanks dude, much appreciated, I'll try that.

13. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Np :)

Also set prerendered frames to 1 in NV CPL (in Ion Fury profile, create one if it's missing). There still seems to be an ever so slight "delay" in mouse movement but that's a quirk of Build I think.

As it's present in Duke, SW, Blood to some degree. I think it has something to do with Build and Vsync and frame interpolation (I have Vsync forced on globally due to Gsync, just in case).
    Also all of the above have required more or less tinkering with Vsync and fps caps to achieve a smooth delivery. RTSS to the rescue in each case :)

14. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I don't think I've been this triggered in a long time...

First of all Mr. or Ms. Twenty5Thousand would do well to read, and reread, the post quoted from terminx interpreted as transphobia.

(If a parent tries to decide what his/her child is at birth, that person shouldn't be a parent.).

But hey, screw reading comprehension and all that, let's take some minor thing completely out of context and get all riled up. Sharpen the pitchforks and lit the torches.

Obviously everyone is now all f*ck Voidpoint so mission achieved I guess.

Btw @Damien_Azreal you made the news too :D
    (well kinda, at least the OP had the good grace of pointing out the moderator is not a developer)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    cerebus23 and Kolt like this.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    cerebus23 likes this.
  17. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yeah....
    Sometimes I really hate the internet. :p

lmimmfn likes this.
  18. Petr V

Petr V Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx over 9000
    This looks like combination of blood,doom and duke nukem.
    After 2 hours play this game i must say i really like it.
    And dat in game music is excelent.

Kolt likes this.
  19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I kind of wish linking to resetera on Guru3D wasn't possible like some of the other crappy websites....

lmimmfn, cerebus23 and AsiJu like this.
  20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Completely agree.
    Some places are better left in their own little corners.

lmimmfn likes this.