1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Introducing FLEM - The Legacy Modder for legacy DirectX 9 and 10 cards.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AmiloMan, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD 3450
    Your problem looks like something is using it like another program. Try rebooting or ending any AMD process (Maybe you have the catalyst installer open?) in taskmgr. You say nothing is using the file then try moving the file somewhere else or real extract the legacy files to another location. As for me I still have no solution whatsoever.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    TwinFrz R9 270Xx2
    Stabilize my flashed HD 3850 for World of Tanks

Its not going to change that, its just a driver. Some 4250s can be overclocked, some cannot. This is based on motherboard design, so if you can't do it with afterburner you probably can't do it at all. Try other tools though, you might get lucky with the PLL support.

Edit: I have a 3850, what are the known working combos? 13.4 is proving to be buggy with world of tanks, and i only have 256MB of VRAM, and it doesn't seem to share system ram right with the driver.

Also own a x800 and a x1300 is coming, so I would like to know working combos for those too.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  3. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    The 3850 was considered a high end card when it was released. Because of that the RAM on the board is all you get because sharing with the system would have caused a major performance hit. I do not believe there is a way to change that.

The X series of cards are even older legacy. The last driver for them was 10.2. I do not believe FLEM will work for modifying such an old driver.

4. Elros24

Elros24 New Member

GPU:
    Ati saphire HD4850 512mb
    Hello everyone. I recently bought Wolfenstein the new order for my pc. As you can see i have the 4850@512mb and to my dismay i discovered that i needed 14.4 or newer drivers to run the game and my card is legacy so it only goes up to 13.9 .I found out about flem tried to use it to mod 14.9 with 13.9 legacy and afterwards tried to install it but it just made my screen have black borders and didnt work at all .Anyone have any tips or can guide me though the process ? .Thank you in advance

5. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    From the little bit of searching I did, I do not believe it is possible to get W:NO running on anything less than a 5000 series card. When you run hardware that old you need to check requirements before you make a purchase.

6. Elros24

Elros24 New Member

GPU:
    Ati saphire HD4850 512mb
    Ok man thank you anyway. And yeah it was my bad , i totally forgot about that :p. Have a good day

7. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    Content removed because trolling and insulting other users is tolerated for some people in this forum. I do not stay in places where such behaviour is tolerated and everything I did in such places is removed.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  8. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well...the last few weeks I got into legacy modding again, and have grown a big long beard while also taking a trip back in time...

I did manage to finally get this feature working though on my personal 4870x2's+Windows 7 x64 (no point running 4870x2 on 32-bit OS as 2gb address mapping space is lost). :)

[​IMG]

See if you can figure out what I managed to "enable" which is supposed to be impossible on all the 4870x2 drivers since release...

Yes the XSP is indicated to be ON !

I'm still running tests as I speak, making notes, and saving progress....

9. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    Way to go kevsamiga1974...... if you need testers simply call out. If sideport is working then the performance increases should be nothing short of phenomenal if my understanding is correct. It couldn,t be a silly little recognition error by gpu-z I hope. Usually it does state "crossfire enabled-sideport off" maybe it should state "crossfire enabled-sideport on"..... just a thought. Well done!!!!!!

10. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    No it's not an error...it's showing on purpose. :)

Primarily for now I am noticing decreased wait times in loading textures to the card. Level loading in games and stuff like that. Useful...

Less copies across the computer bus due to sideport now being on I assume.

FPS seems to be up as well. Not massive amounts enough to cause a shockwave or make you wet yourself or anything, but up nonetheless.

I guess they traded the extra away for less heat...

There does actually seem to be a difference compared to on or off despite the claims it was always a useless feature never to see the light of day.

I just started modding again, going much deeper this time in how all the components *really* interact with each other, but all this newly discovered stuff and poking around is still early days.. AMD tries very hard to hide things away under lock and key. :)

But right now, you could say I'm a happy bunny for unlocking the "£$%"% XSP.

I could have created a separate thread, but then I would have all 4870x2 owners screaming at me for stuff that just isn't completed yet. And right now I really need to sleep and recharge, because I've been hacking around with this "holy grail XSP" for 16 hours straight...

So I put it in a driver modding thread instead, just to show that yes it's really possible to do these things in modding legacy if your persistent and crafty enough.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

11. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    Thanks for the update, well done once again. You should be wrapped with everything that you have achieved to date.......... don,t forget mantle and DX12!!!!!!!

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Here's a slightly better grab of it, 2 copies of GPU-Z open on Win7 x64 desktop showing each core (BIOS vers is different)

The version 9.1cat numbers is meaningless, it's just what I happen to have loaded at the time for playing around with.

There is no reason why this can't work with 10.5a or 11.4 or any other driver if you really wanted it to.

Both cores, no error this time...anyway I'll butt out of this thread. Work to do. :)

[​IMG]

13. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    Do you have OpenCL and/or DirectCompute ?

14. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    If I really wanted it to be that way, and wasn't just merely fooling around with drivers instead...

Yes I could, while still maintaining the XSP ON status. :)

DC didn't come till 9.12/10.1. It's just quicker to test out things without having to load everything in needlessly all the time.

OCL is a bitch to install/uninstall across different version changes.

15. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts

Thanks, just asking as previously with your driver modding work you seem to hold the philosophy of "Fully Functioning Driver"...... anyway don,t let me slow you down.

16. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    An update from what I can ascertain in 4870x2 foibles so far...

One major advantage of the XSP I see is that transfers between the GPUs would have a lower latency.

The Gen2 PCI-E bridge on the 4870x2 is certainly fast enough, but it still takes a short time to process the incoming data and send it out to the other GPU (<140 ns).

With the XSP's point-to-point interlink enabled this delay is eliminated (think less micro stutter and higher minimum fps).

However, turning on the XSP feature for both GPU's is one thing, but I believe that the driver level support to make use of the feature simply doesn't work for it as intended (hence the reason why it was always set to off anyway) at release.

And this coupled with the fact it remains almost useless in an AFR rendering scenario, thus sadly means it does perhaps little or next to nothing being enabled.

So what I'm trying to say is that while I toiled endlessly to actually get the feature enabled (just to see what it does for ****s and giggles),
    the driver level support to make use of the feature according to my testing doesn't actually exist in retrospect.

It's one thing to flip a switch, but quite another to make use of a flipped switch.

The reason I saw some gain in benchmarks which I attributed in error to the XSP, was that I moved from working with Cat 8.12 to enable it in 9.1/9.2 drivers instead.

And of course this driver was the first driver to support multithreading in DX10 applications for dual and quad core CPU's. DX9 was always multithreaded beforehand.

I have a quad. My increase in benchmarks reflected this, and not because of a result of enabling the XSP in the drivers.

One other thing I thought about which may affect the results is I also have intel G33 motherboard where transfers go through the northbridge (which doesn't exist on AMD).

So enabling the XSP may do nothing on Intel systems despite the 4870x2 being platform independent of crossfire or sli motherboards anyway
    (since it's crossfire internally on a single card), however I cannot test this theory of needing an AMD cpu where the northbridge is eliminated.

So while I can maybe claim the title of the only person in the world with his 4870x2 sideport on, the driver support for it just doesn't seem to be there, nor has it ever been.

At least under an Intel configuration...

So I don't understand why they would put in the PLX 2.0 chip or the XSP if they were not going to ever use it
    ...they could have saved a lot of money if they kept the same PLX chip in from the 3870X2 penny pinching in driver support as they are. :)

So I suppose we'll never know if it would have really made a difference or not. Truth sucks, but that's reality.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  17. godknowswhy

godknowswhy Member Guru

GPU:
    All sorts
    Thanks for popping the balloon, next adventure???? Mantle,DX12......pop....pop.

18. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Finally my HD 4670 died (i'm 99.99% sure of it). I can go green or red. How much years of driver support will I get if I buy a low end gcn card? I'm tempted on choosing a geforce, even if it's a bit slower than an equivalent radeon, because nvidia gives more years of driver support (they usually do). Since I unplugged the 4670 (2008 card) the pc doesn't crash...

19. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    You seem like a budget gamer. I would hold out for a GTX 960 (should drop this month) or get a 970 now if you can. Your CPU is as old as mine, so that is going to hold you back (and the PCIe 1.1 bus). But you can upgrade that later (possibly wait for Broadwell like I am).

20. trocio2

trocio2 Master Guru

GPU:
    GT 630 1GB DDR3 GK208 Kep
    Yes. I'm evaluating options but in my country pc parts cost 2x more. I'll keep checking cards lol