Internet speeds and online gaming.....

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by bsc14, Nov 11, 2009.

1. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    I'm curious how much internet speeds make a difference.

A friend of mine was telling me that 3mb down and 300kb up was more than you even need.

Now I have no idea myself but I'm curious if this is true. I just upgraded my internet to 10mb down and and 896kb up.

I know it will help for streaming movies from netflix but will it make much or any difference in games online?

2. JN821

JN821 Master Guru

GPU:
    visiontek4850@700/1125
    I never really noticed a difference in gaming just a lower ping when playing with people in Europe.

3. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    For online gaming, what more important than bandwidth is stability and latency.

You could have 60mbps downstream but an unstable connectivity causing the infamous lagspikes (if the game isn't designed to compensate for that, aka anti-lag) or high bandwidth but also high latency between the connectivity from your ISP to other network peerings, giving you high ping even tho the "game server" is supposedly hosted in the same town as where you live.

ping and tracert (on windows) / ping and traceroute (on linux) are basic network tools to check for latency and stability.

4. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    This.

5. Agizor

Agizor Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 512MB
    Indeed. With buisness class lines you will obtain much lower pings than with consumer ones. They put priority on your packets.

6. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    So how do you test for this...remember I'm a noob. :)

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
  8. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Yeah, for online gaming, what more important than bandwidth is stability and latency, becouse the download bandwidth is good usualy, but if you are the host you need a good upload bandwidth, and this is reserved to hosting bussiness becouse is expensive usualy.

9. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    I see you are running Vista. You could try this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PathPing

Replace the "wikipedia.com" part where it say "The following is the output of the command pathping wikipedia.com" in the article with your favorite online game server hostname or ip address.

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Command Prompt-----> ping xxx.xxx.x.x

Done.

or tracert xxx.xxx.x.x to see how many hops you're getting.

11. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    pathping is a combination of ping & tracert ;)

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    True...

13. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI
    I have a 5MBit D and 512KBit U and guess what I cant Host many people at all even in simple Games because that Equals to 60kbyte/s. And lets just say it suxxorz we used to have 4MBIT D and 1MBit U which was better but not by much

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I use speedtest.net to test out speed and latency.

deltatux

15. texasrattler

texasrattler Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    I have the same speed as the OP. I been gaming online for years and will always say the more speed the better the experience. A 3mb download is not good now adays. Anyone who says thats good or acceptable has no clue in what there talking about. It's decent at best, that's it. Good for some dling and using the internet. You will be able to game but hosting not likely due to your upload limit which with a 3mb package is usually 300-600kb and most will say 700kb is needed to host properly.
    I had Sprint dsl, then it turned into Embarq, now it's turning into Century Link. They say speeds will get even better. I hope so, I always like more speed.

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    texasrattleer: Playing online and hosting numerous players on a game are two different sides of the coin.

The average online gamers don't need an uber fat pipe, this doesn't effect the latency and the stability of the line. Games don't use that much bandwidth, but if you're hopping over a lot of nodes and your ping is high containing a bit of jitter then that's a problem with your ISP not your bandwidth.

When your hosting, the same also matters, but common sense also tells you the more upload bandwidth you have the better the experience will be for your peers, because its you that needs to upload the data to each and every one of them. When you yourself are a peer, that isn't so much the case.

My upload is only 512k here in the UK [i have 10MB download, and my line stability which is what matters, is excellent] and it has never been higher. Are you going to tell me my online experience is "decent at best"? Because if you are, you frankly dont know what you are talking about.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It also seems to depend to which country you're connecting. When playing on a New York server in css with 80 ping from Belgium, I barely have any packet loss but when playing on a french server with 25 ping... oh boy.

18. bsc14

bsc14 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560 1gb
    I have Embarq as well....I'm in the Houston area.

Anyway yeah it was Sprint then Embarq and now Century Link...wish they would just stop. I hope my Email does not have to change...

Anyway, my new speeds don't kick in until Thursday next week. :(

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    At a guess it's probably to do with number of hops and quality of the repeaters between the different servers you use...

It may even be that the French server is crap.....

20. nexu

nexu Maha Guru

GPU:
    HD4870 512MB (@795/1085)
    Interesting, you say you have been gaming online for years and talk about what's good and not. Yet you consider hosting game server on a consumer grade internet connection is quality at all.
    But PC gamers serious about quality online gaming don't host games on their consumer grade home internet connection. They rent either a dedicated machine or just rent a pre-configured gameserver, where they are located in datacenters, with good peerings, to ensure stability and low latency for players connected to it and 24/7 uptime.

Also, something has to be said about the quality of a network when it keeps changing owners. Tho not necessary a bad thing, but i can't see how it's a good thing either.