Internet Explorer 8 Beta Avaliable....

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Jeremy, Feb 26, 2008.

1. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    multiple online games that you have to modify the .ini file or whatever it's called

www.trollby.com if it's still a valid webside, you can't use the map pack feature to load it from your machine

edit: it's not so I guess www.trollscantsing.eu

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    betas been around for a while now??? i had it like 3 months ago old news

3. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You don't say, the thread is from 02-26-2008 if you didn't notice.

Well there is a big surprise, it's not valid.
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect+automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

But other then the javascript menu text i can't see what isn't working.

Code:
    <script language="javascript">
    function Pic(obj, file) {
        eval("document." + obj + ".src=\"images/" + file + "\"");
    }

var txt=new Array("Welcome to The Prophets` Song Portal",'Main site of TPS','News and other important informations','The official forums and discussion board','Join the Prophets` Song Troll Ring','Change menu to another Language (not active)','List the current servers of The Prophets` Song','Generalized view of The Prophets` Song','All those shiney things','Advertise and make money','Want to help TPS development? Donate','Send your problems here','Who done what and how','Legal informations about copyrights and trademarks');
    function Overt(sec) {
        if (document.all) {
            text.innerHTML=txt[sec];
        }
    }
    </script>
    http://www.ahfb2000.com/webmaster_help_desk/showthread.php?t=3284

Funny they recommend Firefox :D
    http://www.trollscantsing.eu/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6970

4. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    No you have to be logged in, when you want to see the map theres multiple images packs that you have to download and put in your C:/TPS folder (or you could modify the destination in your account options) but with firefox you had to set it as "file://c:tps" or something like that and modify the .ini file of firefox to fit the configuration

Which even there did not seem to work half of the time

It's a game that has been in BETA for 8 years or so, simple ORPG for people that like to roleplay but you have to ask the admin to have an account created
    They lost their main coder of the game like 6 years back and after that they just had people adding to the code but not fully able to correct it

Apart from that I've had problems with embedded videos on some webpages that did not posses add-on for firefox to make them run

Websites from very small compagnies that gave error messages then crashing firefox
    Average sized compagnies with ''page cannot be displayed'' after trying to perform specific actions with embedded menus that would normally open a file from an application (design applications in my case)

Issues that in all case did not occur with IE 6

EDIT: don't want to fall into fanboi-ism but I don't use ANY virus scan or anti-spyware applications on my home machine, with firefox : lots of virus and spywares, with IE 6 none

I'm not here to diss firefox, but from personnal experience, it was bad

Last edited: May 7, 2008

5. Netgamer

Netgamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6600LE 300/300
    Ff Ftw

6. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    You can't be serious ? You don't get malware from using Firefox, if anything quite the contrary. You get malware from visiting web sites with malicious code or downloading it yourself and installing it.

Firefox is well known for it's resistance to drive-by malware attacks, and because it doesn't run ActiveX it is inherently safer then IE. Not only that but when combined with NoScript it is about as safe as you can get. If you have said IE7 on Vista with protected mode then i might have given some credit to your statement, but IE6 on XP is not considered a safe browser by anybody who knows anything about web site malware attacks. In fact people that test malware run IE just to get infected. On top of that IE is targeted far more then Firefox is. And unlike your anecdotal comment i can prove it if i have to.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Nope i didnt lol

8. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    You can't put the fault on activeX because obviously if you let it on without prompting you they'll come in auto

It may all be bad luck about malwares ... but as I said, firefox 2 gave me a way too bad perception (even though I'm still using it at work) for me to ever go back to use it as my home brownser

EDIT: as for the forum tread I've stopped playing it a while ago, so current issues with the browser I have little to no knowledge about
    Though it's good to read names of the people I left behind back there :)

Last edited: May 7, 2008