Internet Explorer 7 , anyone using it ?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by j.rhy@n, May 19, 2006.

1. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    Hi ho..

While searching the Microsoft web site for updates and such the main page grabbed my attention with the new release of Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2..

Has any one downloaded and installed if so impressions ?

Link >> Here

2. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Installed it, tried it, noticed that it takes 3Gb of HD space, uninstalled it and never had a regret since :). Seriously speaking, IE7 is nothing special. I no longer feel secure using IE, and after I switched to Firefox, my web-browsing experience has never felt as good.

3. compunut

compunut Maha Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 7900GT SLI
    i didnt even try to nstall IE7
    its firefox tht rules

4. iamtheoneneo

iamtheoneneo Banned

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GTS 640mb @ 576/1700
    3gb? really man thats some seriously bad coding and design if its really that much. and have to agree IE sucks now both ff and opera are miles ahead

5. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Yop, 3xxx mb is what it amounted to according to Windows Add/remove programs...

6. Clements

Clements Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 670
    Says 2.48MB here.

7. Morpheous416

Morpheous416 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 750 Ti
    I tried it. Up to the point where I seen some right off the top "noob" bugs in it. What I mean is, bugs that IE6 had/didn't have...and IE7 has/doesn't have.

IE6 didn't render transparent png files. IE7 does. However, for me anyways....IE7 rendered transparent png files, but didn't render animated gif files. In fact, any website I visited with animated pics....were all frozen.

I didn't even bother to send in a report. I seen all the "features", just a mirror of what I am already using in another browser....and uninstalled it.

8. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:

ye same for me :-s 3 gig :rolleyes:

Anways , it looks ok... All the text is changed to a new style... Trying to put standard font on...

But its looks ok and runs fine..

9. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    It's neither faster nor better then firefox. So I will stay with the original product, FF.

10. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600LE @ 430/490
    Hmm .. IE7 .... page loading times are sooo long ...........

One annoying bug I noticed with this release is that when I am browsing guru3d, as a guest, the page loading just stops, I click View source, scroll down to the last line, then close that window, and then the page fully loads.

The only good thing I found out is that Windows update site now opens a bit faster.

11. Animatrix

Animatrix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT OC2 512
    Yet somehow i find IE 6 worse. But then i am super addicted to having tabs, it's just all wrong without them.

Not that i have to make a point here, but i have often seen some of the more unsavvy PC users struggle to find the pages they want, when there are many pages open and the "group similar taskbar buttons" is on, which it often is. And really it's the only thing there is if you don't want to be using the entire taskbar on all the pages/windows. IMO this is much better in IE 7, where you also have the Quick Tab function. But i fully recognize that you can lose track of tabs as well.

The best bug they have fix IMO was the lack of middle mouse click to open bookmark in new tab. At one point you even had to open a new tab before you clicked a bookmark if you already had a page open, so as not to load on top of it.

But as i only use IE for updates i really don't care much.

12. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080/intel4400
    i rather stay with Firefox and its extensions......i know there are some memory leaks but i rather have them over really bad and slow rendering of web sites

13. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah ..... browsing without tabs is just totally difficult these days.

The IE Tab extension ......... actually works correctly in both Bon Echo and Minefield.

14. jsv004

jsv004 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    Mine's only 2.46MB. 3gigs...yeah right, you might of read that one wrong. I have it installed but I still like Firefox.. the tab is a good addition to IE7 but firefox does it better and I also greatly like the "bookmark folder", easy and fast navigation through web pages is what I'm going for and firefox has that. Plus I feel safer with firefox..actually I feel better with any other browser other than IE.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  15. Beavis

Beavis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Quadro K620
    I can't stand that godamn UI. But IE7 is technically better than IE6 so if I come across an IE only site:

Firefox + IE Tab extension = godlike

16. bakuryu

bakuryu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Oh .. yeah .. I fogot about the disk space issue with IE7. There is no reason why IE7 should take up 3gigs ( ... but may be due to System restore .. I am not sure).

Installing IE7 should cost around 44MB of disk space.

Program Files\Internet Explorer ::: 2.3MB
    Windows\$NtUninstallie7beta2$ :: 41.6MB (to un-install Ie7 and restore back to IE6 .... this folder can automatically be cleaned by CCleaner if "Hotfix Uninstallers are enabled)

17. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 870M 6GB
    Firefox + extension + themes ... kicks IE7 hard in its a** (b*** is possible)

18. Jelle Mees

Jelle Mees Banned

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB 684Mhz/1836Mhz/2088Mhz
    I use Maxthon ( www.maxthon.com ). Maxthon uses the IE6 engine but has so many extras.
    It has plugins/extensions/skins just like firefox. An adblocker that is much better then the firefox one and more TAB options than in firefox. It has so many things that firefox doesn't have ( without extensions ).

MSIE sucks, but the engine doesn't. I view every website without ads, without pop-ups, I have tabs and I can view every website ( not like in firefox ).

19. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    Ooooooo it's nice and Vistaish! Then again this and Firefox looks silly compared to Opera 9.

20. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU: