Interested in your suggestions on nvme drives (compilation speed & best value for money)

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by pattakosn, Jun 12, 2020.

1. pattakosn

pattakosn Member

GPU:
    RX 570 4Gb
    Hi there again. I am researching on my next hard disk drives and I have read a number of reviews on nvme drives. My understanding is that the samsung ones are usually the fastest but there are a number of other drives that are more than decent while being much better priced. I also have the impression that most nvme drives nowadays are plenty fast anyway.

I would like to hear other people's opinions on which drive they would suggest for me based on the following criteria:

1. I mostly care about compilation speed (I guess this means small size random read/write with low queue sizes).
    2. value for money: I really do not see why one would pay 40% more for a drive that is MAYBE 5-10% faster.
    3. I prefer 1TB
    So far I have picked the ADATA XPG8200, WD SN550, Sabrent Rocket drives (even thought their prices/availability here in the EU are not as good as in the US compared to samsung).

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Do you compile huge C++ projects?

If you don`t than you do not need NVMe drives, usual SATA SSD will be sufficient.

3. pattakosn

pattakosn Member

GPU:
    RX 570 4Gb
    Yes by "compilation" I mean c/c++ codes. My day to day projects are definitely smaller than gcc/firefox/unreal engine sized projects(which I also do once in a while :) ) but I only mentioned that to say that I am interested in 1K-4K performance rather than eg copying 10GB of pictures. Your suggestion would be to stick with eg a corsair mx500? what would you choose among the nvme options?

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    I do not choose NVMe at all. I am fine with SATA SSDs. But I do compile C# source code and the compilation is instant.
    From my understanding NVMe is needed for tasks like audio/video capture, database server, file server.

5. GarrettL

GarrettL Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2070S
    I prefer the NVMe drives due to small form factor.

A good quality SSD drive will perform almost the exact same as a 3.0 NVMe.

I have a Sabrent 4.0 too, now that is a waste of money for the average user.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Ref"
    The 970 Evo Plus from Samsung was pretty nice and one of the few 2TB's in stock when this system was built but yeah the pricing is not exactly in it's favor even with a slight discount it's still among the pricier hardware components I've used.
    Pretty certain that hardware wise these are regardless of marketing terms triple layer cell or TLC though durability will still be really good though a heatsink whether one comes with the motherboard or you buy a extra doesn't hurt.

Newer controllers and PCI Express 4.0 with for now AMD and soon I guess also Intel should also see some interesting improvements and then balanced against cost and quad (QLC) and penta (PLC) for four or five layer cell data could provide something that is still fairly durable comparable against a HDD while less extreme in pricing with a 1 to 2 TB of data storage. (Higher and I suspect pricing will still quickly ramp up.)

More in-depth I suspect users would need to check on reviews and stuff like NVME revision (1.3 earlier but now up to 1.4 I think.) together with the actual controller and while rare outside of enterprise (Marketing aside.) also stuff like data loss protection and stuff like that, max speeds are nice but theoretical max and general workload situations are more of a balanced view rather than ideal optimized speed values.

That said this greatly reduced the tedium of updating the OS, booting up and in some games (Not all!) nearly eliminated main menu or initial load times and such. (Most noticeable in Ghost Recon Breakpoint loading in seconds not minutes against that aging HDD before.)
    Excellent upgrade and well worth it but yeah 400+ Euro or US Dollar and you kinda have to balance it a bit, I suspect it's possible to get something really good at also a good price level without breaking the budget entirely even if it's a excellent hardware improvement especially over a HDD.

Support software and drivers for NVME could also be a possible thing to consider but the support software is mainly for firmware updating and maybe a more in-depth overview as the OS handles caching and functionality like TRIM support and the NVME driver is nice but not always a improvement though Samsung's doesn't seem to be too bad. :)

Hardware wise well it's mostly for multiple M.2 motherboards and how these are wired up, this X570 from Gigabyte has one as the intended main slot and the extra two trade-off some of the Sata drives when slotted though it's not too bad.
    Newer motherboards and other improvements might see this improved further but those lanes and traces and PCI Express 4.0 compatibility and what not will likely see a higher base price for what these require too.

Oh and this particular model is a NVME 1.3 PCI Express 3.0 update over the prior 970, looks like Samsung is prepping a newer 1 TB 980 for PCI Express 4.0 but with a different (Phison was it?) controller which might not be the best one for 4.0 and max speeds but I'm not that great at all this stuff, above Gigabyte speeds it's already a nice step up from HDD's and sustained transfer or data reads and writes whether smaller files or larger parts is plenty fast.

That could change with the new consoles though, not sure if there's much to do about it for now until those are out and newer hardware still is on the market but we'll see.

Heard good things on Corsair as well and I think there was one or two other brands but I can't quite remember now might have been Sabrent, Intel has their drives too but that's a price class separate from the others too going into those higher-end models so yeah probably not for average use and more specialized situations or demands to justify that cost.

EDIT: Might have been Crucial and not Corsair, gah I can't remember these brands and models well at all.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
  7. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I have 2 NVMe drives on my desktop system because my previous setup was a gaming laptop (which failed after 2 years), and in the land of laptop, NVMe is a necessity, as you only have 1 SATA bay usually.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    I hope I will never purchase laptop. I am sure I will never game on laptop.
    Been there, done that, thank you very much.

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Understandable, but I do like to LAN party and thus the convenience. Also I think AMD is finally making good laptop performance rigs and now we just need for them to get some real GPU power under the hood.

10. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Gaming laptop is OK - but a decent one is at least double priced compared to a desktop. My GTX 1080 equipped is still pretty decent.

11. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Fingers away from ADATA drives. I had a fee and saw a lot but never saw one which is reliable. They are the cheapest in my area ... seems for a reason.

I agree Samsung drives are good but a bit "overprized" (not really for what they offer, but 90% of users dont need these features). But they are reliable ... buy Samsung and you won't have any issues usually.

Kingston SSD drives are not as good as their RAM. I avoid them. I had 3 sata drives, 2 went dead after less than a year, 1 I installed in a friend's rig made it BSOD regularly. I still dont know why. Changed for a Samsung and no issues anymore.

Intel did some amazing drives back then and still has some ( = "very few") which are really good (3D XPoint SLC drives), but those good ones are expensive as hell and most users won't need SLC anyway. The other ones have 3rd party controllers. You could buy the same drive from other brands (sama capacity, same controller) and save money.

Western Digital SSD drives seem to be good, at least they get recommended often here. But I haven't had one yet, so I can't tell for sure.

Sandisk is cheap but newer models seem to perform good. At least that's what my colleagues tell me. So a preferred option if you wanna buy big sized but dont need a million IOPS. ;)

pattakosn likes this.