Intel Z390 chipset to replace Z370 with Z370 going end-of-life

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 20, 2018.

1. destruya

destruya Member

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 FTW3
    God damn, this is getting stupid. There is literally no reason for Intel to sit on the *actual* information about either the Z370/390 or the octacores anymore.

typhon6657 likes this.
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    somehow I agree with everything you said...:D

Still if intel has the fastest gaming processor it will sell.

Last time I checked we were on an gaming/enthusiast site.....https://forums.guru3d.com/

Gaming Benchmarks mean a lot here.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    They think it's still 2007 and that they can do whatever the hell they want.

I don't always think of stupid BS, but when I do, I'm thinking of Intel.
    How much of the market are looking to buy components that push past 60 fps though? Nearly the entire market still use 60 fps monitors. The gaming benchmark performance of Intel CPUs doesn't mean as much in reality.

Fox2232 likes this.
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    opp's

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    AMD is for the poor people still and red fan-boys. Intel is beyond everything gaming wise. 7700k destroys 2700x in gaming. Only trolls and morons would buy a side-grade for supporting. 2 years passed by and kaby lake is the gaming king despite AMD's efforts.

If Intel wasn't a milking company and bigger whore than nvidia, they would not release new gen hardware every year. They sleep well because 8700k/9800k will hold the crown even if Zen2/Zen2+ come to the market. Pro gamers go blue and green for a reason.

6. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
  7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I guess I'm becoming poor then, because I'm almost certain the next CPU I get will be from AMD.

HitokiriX likes this.
  8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    ....Do you even read what you write? wow, just wow. No, not a good wow either. My goodness you need help.

Venix likes this.
  9. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Butthurt enough? At least I can face reality. Go to sleep if you do not know what a PC is.

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    as long as they keep buying...

coming up next: stage platform launches to make DDR5 the sole purpose of a "new" platform's reason to exist, then do the same with pcie4, and I heard pcie5 will come way faster than usual, also USB3.1.1.2 gen-whatever might show up

11. fprod

fprod Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Mainstream platform is what it means, and idea for Intel to offer good performance for an "affordable" price but limited in fonctionalities and evolutivity. AMD has just beat Intel at its own market plan by offering a better platform for mainstream users at a cheap price, as it was supposed to be as a mainstream platform.
    Intel will have much more difficulties to do better as the manufacturer is still stucked to 14nm process when AMD is on 7nm.
    I am not an AMD fan or Intel fan, I only choose a platform that promise longevity and future evolution without being forced to change the motherboard to get a more powerful CPU. Intel HEDT have been mostly the better choice such as x58 lga 1366 and x99 lga 2011. The recent Intel HEDT x299 is not worth because the CPU for this platform are cheaply made comparing to AMD Threadripper.
    AMD beat Intel on mainstream and HEDT platform in terms of price/performance.
    I have a x99 platform, chosen wisely because its future proof evolutivity in performance, which was with a 5820k that I have recently replaced by a cheap 6950x ($600), decent CPU still offering great performances comparing present platforms segments.
    It is difficult to chose a new platform now as Intel still cannot respond to AMD, and soon PCIE 4.0 motherboards will come to light and offer more functionalities. I think my actual configuration will just be enough to wait until this time. If I had chose Intel mainstream, I would have no other choice to change every year to get a platform with nearest performances as what I own for the last 3 years and further.
    Just to recall that Intel Mainstream is Mainstream with short longevity. Don't get upset or surprised, because it was meant to be like this, for regular consumer, not prosumer

12. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Intel is pushing more and more customers over to AMD

13. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    Happy 2700X user here :),
    Love it!, + I can upgrade to Zen2 if Needed, I am sure that 2700X 2nd hand market would be great since long life of AM4 :).
    P.S: judging by Intel's History, they only improve IPC by 0~3% every new "Gen"/shrink and mostly rely on bumping up clock rate, so it seems that with Zen 2 we are back to Athlon 64 days where AMD Lower Clock speed was faster then Intel's P4 3000 GHz+(Prescott any1?)

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I think it's obvious that Intel has been on the backfoot since the release of Ryzen. They were forced to drastically lower prices on their HEDT chips (price of a 10-core went from $1700 to $999) and they were forced to pull up their schedule for Coffee Lake. Although the 8700K has allowed them to hold the fort for now (at least in the consumer space) their options are quickly running out, and when 7nm Zen 2 hits the streets next year it will test them to the limit. I'm anticipating that 2019 will be quite a year for PC enthusiasts, and we might see AMD seriously challenge Intel for the performance crown.

It's also unfortunate for Intel that AMD has chosen this moment to resurrect themselves. The troubles with their 10nm process is well documented and it's clear that it will take some time to resolve - Intel execs and shareholders better hope and pray that it's ready in time to battle Zen 2. Intel has never been in this kind of situation before (they've always had a fab advantage) so this is new territory for them, and it's unsure how they'll navigate it. The security vulnerabilities are also a thorn in their side, further adding to their headaches (seems almost every week we hear about a new spec-ex variant that can be exploited).

Z370 is the latest casualty of this war. My guess is that Intel would have preferred to coast on their six-core CPUs for at least a few years, but they are being forced to retire it after only a year. The thing is, I don't think AMD is done here either. After all, nobody expected AMD to release a 32-core TR, and there is no telling what AMD will do with Ryzen in the future (a 12/16-core desktop Ryzen is a distinct possibility). One thing's for sure though: competition is back in the CPU market and we enthusiasts are finally getting what we are due.

Being an enthusiast means more than just playing games. People have wanted more cores for a long time - it's why Coffee Lake was so well received. Also, those building HEDT systems are rarely interested in just gaming (my workstation PC doesn't have a single game installed on it). Life is more than just playing games ;)

carnivore and airbud7 like this.
  15. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    My 7month old EOL 169euro Asrock Z370 EX4(boohoo) along with my same age 8700K says hello and they will keep saying that for at least a good minimum of a year or two.

I'm sure I would had loved a 2700k or 1950X personally nowadays instead, just for the sake of those mucho-cores but unfortunately they weren't an option back then.

16. fprod

fprod Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    Wise choice for a new platform

This exactly what I thought too, Intel has repeated the mistake he did before, giving all the time to AMD to develop a new architecture with promise of longevity with easy upgrade for the next 2-3 years without the need to change the motherboard and memory eventually. Anyway if AMD has decided that the 8 cores will be the maximum core count for the mainstream platform, the only hope is AMD has to make new CPU with better IPC and higher frequency now, I believe they can do it as they have the 7nm process and all the time to make it if it is not already done... 2800x still in the drawer or still improving it because no answer yet from Intel to the 2700x?
    The CPU war is finally back and it is refreshing, thanks to AMD comeback as it gave me the opportunity to get a 6950x at a very cheap price. Now I look forward for better software optimizations to high core count.

17. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Too bad 2700x came 4 years too late.

5960x @ 4.2ghz is the same performance as stock 2700x.

- owner of 1800x and 1950x :)

jura11 and typhon6657 like this.
  18. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
  19. Dwwolf

Dwwolf Guest

GPU:
    R380X
    As long as Intel continues to use crappy heatpads instead of soldering their enthusiast class CPUs to the heatspreader they can pound sand as far as I'm concerned.

DLG likes this.
  20. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Dude, the 5960X was $1000+ on release. To even compare the two is ludicrous (one is a HEDT product while the other is a gaming product).

Intel has had 8+ core chips for years, but the pricing made them inaccessible to most users. That's the difference with these chips.

Venix and -Tj- like this.