Intel Xeon W-3175X 28-core Processor Released at $2,999

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Still have no clue what it is you're doing. Either you're trolling/joking around and not making it clear, or you're in some sort of argument with...yourself?

Again, no idea what it is you're doing, or arguing at this point, as the discussion was never about who has the fastest processor, but rather what the value attached to the processor is.

I have never said AMD has made the fastest processor in existence, i don't think that crown is even held by Intel, that's probably held by .....IBM with the POWER9 CPU? or maybe the Sunway SW26010? I don't even know if there's an actual list most powerful CPUs, as then you'd have to figure out how to define powerful that would be universal and not just task oriented.

It more seems like you came in with a crusade to defend intels.....honor? All because i stated someone was trolling for an obvious "twice the value" that holds no bearing to anything at all?

Again, making this point multiple times, i have no idea what it is you're doing.

Only propaganda that was posted here was the idea that Intel CPUs hold "twice the value" making the 3175x "cheaper" in value then the 2990WX, since by the original posts intent was to state that the 3175x should be $3400 if it wanted to have the same "value" as the 2990WX.

Everything i have posted has been facts, if you have a problem with any of those facts i, and no one else either, can help you.

I even posted that intel is faster at lower resolution and low settings, which is true (in most cases), what more do you want?

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dude!....I just looked up your past year comments!......Your head is up amd's ass....

Stop acting like you have no clue....

Here Goes Bro!....a 9900k will will spank any and all ryzen....

Do you agree?....Yes or No question....there is only one ...Say it Dude!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes i'm sure you've looked up every single one of my posts in the past year (believable if you're talking about only 2019.....).....again, no clue what it is you're doing here, are you on drugs or something? wtf is going on?

And i have been consistent in my statements about AMD since ryzen: Intel is only better if you game at lower resolutions and lower quality settings with a very high end GPU, and generally, the FPS difference will not matter, as complaining you get only 140FPS on an AMD system, makes no sense. But if you're one of those people who have to pay a premium to get the fastest, best, highest FPS, then that's your own doing. All the more to ya.

Intel is not the value segment, and the main reason Intel has better valued processors now, is due to ryzen forcing their hands, they are still not the better value segment.

You claim i'm all for AMD, yet i don't buy AMD GPUs, because in that sector, though they have many places where they are the better value, i want the performance, the features, etc.

Sure, if AMD in the GPU world becomes those things with navi and further, i may buy them, but i'm not currently, i see no point in the Radeon VII, and i don't generally buy $300 and under GPUs, so AMD is nothing for me currently for the GPUs.

But when it comes to CPUs, since i don't game at very low resolutions and low settings with a high end GPU, ofcourse i'm going to go for value over premium price for a performance difference i won't even be able to get a benefit from. I'm gaming at 4K more often then 1440p lately, why would i spend more, for the same? It makes no sense.

Again, if you're one that CAN benefit from this and you want to pay that premium: All the more to you.

Facts are facts, which is what i convey, if you have an issue with that, like i said before, i, and no one else either, can help you.

In what way?

In lower resolution, lower quality settings, yes, for most games, not all.

In higher resolution, high quality settings, depends on the game. Most games won't have a huge difference, but there are a few where there will be, in intels favor.

In 4K at any settings? I have yet to see a noteable difference.

In the value segment? No.

It is up to the individual person to decide what portion of all of that matters to figure out what processor is best, for them. Period.

I would never buy it, it's too expensive for something i would never have any benefit from. Same goes for threadrippers, they are too expensive for something i would never benefit from currently. Why currently? Because at least with them if i were to splurge, i'd be getting something that theoretically will be more utilized in the future, but there's no guarantee there either.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    jura11 and airbud7 like this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No, because bold text makes it impossible to agree. 9900k will not be able to do that indefinitely. It may be wining now, but one can't say that it will do that in 6 months or year with certainty.

airbud7 likes this.

5. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I got a headache reading that^......Still gave you a like.

airbud out.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Still the fastest today...2-1-2019?....correct me if im wrong/...Thanks

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    airbud7 and Aura89 like this.
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Ok!...Thanks for the warning .....Love you Guys!

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sure, that's as long as you count single threaded performance or light gaming. But since its price invades AMD's HEDT platform, TR chips are there to show its MT performance.
    If it was priced reasonably, I would say it is best chip for money in every category. But it is not priced reasonably.

Aura89 and airbud7 like this.
  10. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Price!......never bring up price on an enthusiast website....:p

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Give me that 2080ti now!.....Make it sli....:p

Did I just talk to myself?

12. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I have no problem admitting that Intel has the fastest gaming processor at the present time, the 9900K. I don't think any reasonable person can doubt that.

The real question is whether it's worth buying, and my answer would be no. Part of that is due to the value proposition, but another is that it doesn't really matter in the real world since I always play with a GPU cap (and so do most gamers). Since I run grid computing apps in the background, the most important thing to me is the overall computing power (so moar cores) and as long as it can feed my GPU at my preferred resolution (4K or 2.5K) I'm more than happy with it.

The thing is, I had no problems with my old 4790K when it came to gaming. The reason I switched to AMD was because Intel refused to release a 8-core CPU for anything less than a king's ransom. I literally saw no upgrade path that would be worth the money, and still don't (the 9900K is nice and all, but it still demands a king's ransom). When AMD released the 8-core Ryzen 7 it was the answer to my prayers (and I willingly became an early adopter and suffered through the teething issues) and when they released a 16-core CPU I was ecstatic (sure it was expensive, but it was actually worth the money).

I saw a Penn & Teller's Bullshit episode a long time ago about "The Best", where they criticized the idea. Often times, "the best" simply isn't worth it and it is foolish to always aim for having the best things. I can relate on a personal level as well - I initially looked down on my friend for building a cheaper gaming system with a FX CPU (while I had a mighty Core i7) but in hindsight he probably spent his money more wisely than I did. I also spent a fortune on custom water-cooling and other luxuries but I've recently begun switching back to air-cooling (it's not as upgradeable and the maintenance is just not worth it for the cooling benefits). It's awfully expensive trying to have "the best" and the real-world benefits usually aren't there. The smart consumer always prioritizes value per dollar and needs over wants.

Aura89 and airbud7 like this.
  13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i guess maybe? considiner the core to price ratio but still that is jaw droping price. Either way my next build IF and WHEN I do my next build is gona be ryzen system Rzyen stp has passed 2k which all i wanted, and they have mtp equal to intel much half the price.

14. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    warlord likes this.
  15. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t

But you can't fix the high latency....

Too bad.

warlord likes this.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Is there really a point? When you have productivity workload which is written to utilize large number of cores, is there at least some specific one where latency matters so much that you rather pay $3000 for intel's 28C/56T @3.1GHz than $1700 for AMD's 32C/64T @3.0GHz?
    In Cinebench this intel's chip is 6% faster, as it is in most of other workloads unaffected by Windows's windowsery.

17. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It needs to be $2000 for fair value. ;) At $3000 it's a complete ripoff. Seriously, what kind of idiot would buy this?

18. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    In free, open market, premium price was always and still is accepted when you provide the best product overall. You cannot expect one product, cpu in our instance, be the best in all applications and have the bang for buck tag at the same time. Simple as that. Get over it. Smart buy is decided by one's pocket size and money amount in bank account, not perf per dollar. It is irrelevant.

If I am only able to buy a ~300-500$ max and another customer has so much money that it is even easier for him to buy a ~2500-3000$ cpu, he is smarter from me to buy that ~3000$ cpu than buying a ~500-1500$ cpu high class. He will enjoy this super premium product better and he is never gonna think about cores, power consumption and optimization for games or other applications.

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Being able to afford ≠ smart buy. There is nothing smart about buying an overpriced product - such purchases are driven by your e-peen, not your brain. I brought up the example with my friend for this reason - he made the smart buy while I made the e-peen purchase :p (my bigger salary in no way justified it). The only factor that salary plays is whether you can afford it - if you cannot then it is not a smart buy, regardless of its value proposition.

20. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    When your the winner you price what you want, so sick of the AMD/INTEL flaming. @hh clean up your site you have an issue here, I'll find a site where people arent ass hats!