Intel Xeon W-3175X 28-core Processor Released at $2,999

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You really do try your best at trolling don't you.

What i really find frightening is if you really and truly believe the nonsense stated above.

warlord likes this.
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    He's somewhat right....what is the value of an 8 core bulldozer vs 4 core haswell...

You made ryzen the new god when in fact it is still slower....benchmarks show this and fastest is still fastest...not the slower one with great value.

warlord likes this.
  3. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    eh i dunno, this monstrosity pulls like 50% more power than the 32core threadripper in some workloads at stock speeds, while being marginally faster in alot of cases, i'd wager if the TR had an equivalent power-limit, it would be somewhat different. if there was any amd product that has a similar feel of desperation, it would be the fx 9590. has that "clock it as high as possible , and who cares about power, we eat amps for breakfast" feel to it

HandR, warlord, Aura89 and 1 other person like this.
  4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    What a nonsensical product. As we all knew from last year, it's a knee-jerk reaction to AMD's 32-core Threadripper and a prime example of a "me too" product (being late doesn't help). Not really sure who the target audience is - prosumers would be better served with a Core i9 or Threadripper and businesses would be better off with a server-class Xeon or EPYC. I think they released this more for their ego than anything else.

It's about as nonsensical as promoting Bob Swan, a finance guy, as CEO. :p

warlord and airbud7 like this.

5. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not saying that AMD has the fastest processors out there, that's obviously incorrect, but nothing in his statement is correct either.

If you were to put a "value" on them, none of them would have a value that is twice that of any ryzen processor that is intended for it to go against.

The only way to determine value would be the increase in performance vs cost.

For instance, for this $3000 CPU to be a better value then the $1700 2990WX, it'd have to perform 76% faster then the 2990WX to warrant that pricing.

This isn't the case, and any website that showcases value among processors, unbiased, shows this consistently.

You can't just claim something to be "of more value" without actually having a definable "value" meaning.

I await his mythical "twice the value" explanation, since i know he won't have a valid answer, it'll just be more trolling.

warlord likes this.
  6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dude you r stupid with an amd bias ......very obvious.....Shut Up Dude!.....

warlord likes this.
  7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    The 28 core Intel is very good at every possible task. 32 core Amd is only good for spesific tasks. Like blender and cinebench LOL.

There you have the "value" difference ;)

For me 7980xe is perfect for workstation and gaming. Need only one cpu to rule them (tasks) all :p

Worth every penny.

warlord likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In server, there are some factors:
    - performance per Watt (Intel and AMD are equal when Zen+ is considered. With Zen2, intel has lost for now.)
    - performance per $ spent directly on HW (Intel is losing this since 1st Zen.)
    - performance per socket (There intel was equal to AMD till Zen+, Zen2 just crushes intel.)

Similar things apply to HTPC. Only thing where intel still has some advantage is gaming. And that's largely placebo, because most of those who pay extra for intel's chip with higher ST performance do that at cost of having weaker GPU.

$250 difference between 2700X and 9900K is something that gets you from RTX 2070 to 2080.
    Then there is that scary new paradigm of "RTX ON". (Check FPS difference between those CPUs there.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
  9. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    People who shell out the money for these CPUs have a specific task in mind. They are not buying an all-around processor that they can use for both gaming and productivity (e.g., I bought my 1950X specifically for grid computing). In fact, this is usually the case for most people - people build their PC with a specific purpose in mind (e.g., gaming, productivity, AI, etc.).

For the price of Xeon W 3175X system you can build a 2990WX system along with a Ryzen 7 system (or Core i7/i9) and have plenty of money left over. That's not good value, it's a total ripoff.

I have multiple systems so that logic doesn't apply. I deliberately don't game on my workstation system as I consider that a waste of processing power. I use my Ryzen 7 system for gaming while I keep my workstation system busy crunching data.

carnivore, Aura89 and warlord like this.
  10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I can't imagine this coming from you not be some sort of joke or troll so...i'm going to assume it is?

Remember sarcasm doesn't go over the internet very well :)

Sorry but that's just not true, i'm not saying intel doesn't have its uses, though this processor, at $3000, if you buy it you're paying a premium as there is no value in it. Both processors are very good processors if you take cost out of it.

From a server standpoint, it'll depend on what exactly you are doing that will make a 28-core higher frequency processor better then a 32 core lower frequency processor.

For instance, if you have 32 or more (intentional) tasks (i say intentional as i'm not talking about windows tasks i'm talking about specific programs/tasks you specifically want on the server), multiple virtual machines, etc., 32 cores with 64 threads can definitely be more valuable then higher frequency less core machines.

32 cores with 64 threads means you could have up to 64 virtual machines on the PC, no problem, or 32 if you want a whole processor not just a thread dedicated to it. If this is what a company is doing, this is what would be valuable to them.

If a server environment is not doing that, but can benefit from more cores, but also benefit from higher frequency, then a higher frequency, lower core could be beneficial.

It's all up to how the server is set up, what requirements and benefits the programs utilize, etc. Most server environments do not care about high frequency, they care about mass multi-tasking.

Despite what many people seem to believe in this forum, it's not all about benchmarks.

airbud7 likes this.

11. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Oh come on I was trolling. But you are funny, how you do attack, as I meant nothing from above. LOL.

On topic, somethings are premium price for having all possibilities. As @nizzen said above like Sauron from LOTTR, one to rule them all.

If someone wants to game and have normal performance in all available applications even if he/she doesn;t use them, he/she will pay that price difference to avoid any headache.

A smart buyer would buy two systems, at that price range. The 2990WX for server/productivity and the best gaming Intel consumer CPU for other tasks including gaming. In that way he/she will give again about 3k or even less money, and enjoy 2 separate systems.

12. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You get easily offended if you believe anything i posted above was attacking. Disputing your claims, and claiming you're trolling, is not an attack. In fact, you just stated i was correct.....

And no, it's not obvious if you're trolling or not for the simple fact that you have stated nonsense like this in the past, you don't have a great track record.

warlord likes this.
  13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    No!....have you ever heard that word......"No!"

You tell me what the fastest gaming processor is?.....Now!

Are you scared to say it?

Your head is so far up amd's ass you can't see light....

warlord likes this.
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Still can't tell if you're just trolling.

Fastest gaming processor? Depends on the game and resolution.

Very low resolution with very low settings and a very high end GPU in many games? Intel is faster

1440p and higher and higher quality settings in most games? Both do just fine.

Why is intel faster in low resolution, low quality settings that almost no one plays with and a very high end GPU? Because of the fact they can go to a higher frequency, as their IPC are almost identical.

If the frequencies of Zen2 rumors are true, this won't necessarily be the case, only time will tell.

But you are definitely paying a premium for those few extra FPS at resolutions and quality settings that almost no one plays at with a very high end GPU, there is still no value there, it's a premium.

I'm still leaning on the idea that you're just trolling though.

carnivore, Undying and warlord like this.
  15. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    No troll here dude.....
    Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor

If you ever owned one you would give up your amd propaganda

I love copy/paste!.....:D

warlord likes this.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I don't understand what it is that you are doing.

airbud7 and warlord like this.
  17. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    If you replay to this post then troll will be
    known

warlord likes this.
  18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    warlord likes this.
  19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    @airbud7 dude take it down a notch. Instead of overreacting like that actually take notes from what hes saying. He have some interesting points.

@warlord stop liking every post. We know you dont really like us. :p

airbud7 and warlord like this.
  20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Ok ....Thanks Bro!

propaganda just drives me crazy when evidence/proof shows otherwise....Grrrrrrrr

Undying and warlord like this.