Intel Xe Rumors: Development reportedly stagnating and efficiency worse than its competitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I'm sure they will squueze out something next year. Question is - how good it will be?

Consumer GPU market badly needs competition. Otherwise 3080Ti @1500+ Eur.

Silva likes this.
  3. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    These rumors sound like the normal process of creating an entirely new product that Intel has never produced before. Still less efficient than the competition is? Drivers need work? Is that really a surprise? It would be more shocking to read the opposite.

I hope Intel succeeds. We could use a 3rd player.

4. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    The problem is with Intel slow pace it will take years to at least be truly competitive with AMD / Nvidia ... you can't just build a GPU lineup in 1-2 years and even be competitive ... they will create some kind of "monster" that will maybe find its way in a very narrow niche but not a card that go against the latest flagship cards from the current competitors.

My hopes are up for NAVI high end cards but beating nvidia is a very hard job. AMD succeded vs Intel in the CPU segment this year and did manage some hard blows but with the history of AMD videocards vs NVIDIA they will have to do much more to be able to actually take the crown.

The years of development for both AMD/NVIDIA can't be matched by Intel with their IGPU experience or Raja *cough* former AMD ...

Competition is always good and thats why I hope in 5 years maybe Intel will be present on GPU market with something viable but I dont have a lifetime to wait for them ... in the meantime I will buy the best price/peformance ratio card .....

Maddness and Silva like this.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Intel has been making GPUs since the i740. I would love to have them as a legitimate 3rd player, but they seem unable to produce anything that anyone would like to use, except laptop users. Even in that case, every serious workstation laptop gets away from Intel GPUs the millisecond thermals allow it.

Silva likes this.
  6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    well let's hope they can solve the problems ... i am wondering with arm hiring lead devs to optimise for graphics engines like unreal engine etc .... if arm is preparing to do a " Surprise now we are making Desktop Gpus too ! " most likely is for their mobile stuff ...but how awesome would be to have 4 gpu companies beating each other to the punch and have an all out price war ? ! !! i really wish
    best of luck on all of em ... more competition is good for our pockets !

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the i740 was not an Intel design, like many of intel's GMA chips it was a design inherited through company aquisition and technology agreements.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  8. QBI

QBI Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Armor
    Intel better aim for enterprise sector with their GPUs rather than consumers.
    Knowing their product pricing I doubt they can compete with Nvidia and AMD.

9. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    has been said by pretty much all the pc hardware journalists (I mean youtubers and websites) that this would be a work gpu and not a gaming one so it'll be a 3080ti >< I hope it wont be 1500€

10. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Intel being Intel, what's new?
    And I sure hope Raja burn in hell, putting HBM on consumer products was the worst ever decision to make at the time.
    2080Ti is already +1500€ here, more like +2000€.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It was only way to deliver competitive performance in 300W TDP with given GPU architecture and manufacturing process. Especially since at that point GCN needed pretty high memory bandwidth. And Fiji gained more from HBM OC than from core OC.

12. barbacot

barbacot Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 SuprimX
    Me and my boys STILL waiting for INTEL to get their s**t in order:

[​IMG]

Silva likes this.
  13. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Seems a lot like their CPUs...

Maddness likes this.
  14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Intel seems that got into some deep trouble. Aging cpu performance, inability to provide gpu breakthrough. I wonder all those billions spent, more money than amd and Nvidia together, were are those now? Lost capital?

15. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    This^^ No matter how much talent or money Intel has available, developing a GPU from scratch is going to take time and effort before they can be as good as AMD or Nvidia, who have been doing it for the 20 or 30 years.
    I just hope Intel is in this for the long run otherwise they will pull the plug pretty quickly...

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Where Intel's money is? I know where it comes from:
    [​IMG]
    And look at the mid, right, chip technology.

And also look at bottom right, accelerators, no wonder Intel want's to grab that part as well (competing with Nvidia there), completing their supercomputer segment to become the monopoly competitor.

Silva likes this.
  17. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    They also canceled 2 Optane projects (M15 and 815P officially canceled).

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Most of it is manufacturing - neither AMD/Nvidia own their own fab, which is a huge chunk of money. I also think anyone expecting Intel to have a totally competitive GPU first go was delusional. As i said numerous times previously, they'll compete on price but probably not on performance. As for CPUs I think its pretty clear that Intel was resting on their laurels - within the last two years they completely rebuilt their engineering team from the ground up. Designs from these engineering changes won't really show in actual products until 3-4 years after a team change. They'll first finish whatever products were currently far enough along in development before the new leaders will push for design changes. I'm not sure why people thought Intel was just going to flip a switch and suddenly new CPUs with massive increases. Designing these products takes a ton of time.

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thank you, pretty much what I argued over the last weeks / months and Xe rumors.
    Yeah they will do something, and yeah it will come out, but no it won't be as good as people wish, and no they won't shake up the market as the 3rd major player from the beginning.

20. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'd have said Intel competing on price is but a fairy tale, but looking at them trying to sell their obsolete HEDT parts at half the price tells so many execs were changed that fundamental Intel principles also changed.

I, however, don't see why they couldn't release a competitive product. They have years of GPU experience, even if it's from iGPUs, and they have an unlimited budget. Hiring Raja is a weakness, true, but it's possible one man can't ruin everything. That being said, I reckon Intel's first priority is the server (compute) market, so it's possible their first product competes better there than in the home use/gaming market. Just like AMD's CPUs were jolly good for mining, but had a hard time against Nvidia's GPUs in gaming.