Intel Xe DG2 could have the performance level of an RTX 3070

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 26, 2020.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    we cant possibly have another turing pricing scheme with THREE competitors, thats great news to me

hopefully nvidia shows up at the cpu game after microsoft makes ARM-AMD64 emulation a thing, these coming years will be hella interesting

2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I wouldn't mind an intel card, i was impressed with ice lake g7 on-board graphics on my laptop.

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    At the right price, I'll take the leap..... If they price it like an RTX3080, however, I won't even look in it's general direction.... It needs to be priced more like a GTX1660.... Last thing I need is a $700 paper weight.... A $200-250 paper weight I can deal with though.

Intel actually dominates the GPU market..... You have to break it down into sub-categories for NVidia to have majority market share.

DG1 was the only product slated for release in 2020. Can't exactly release the second generation before you release the first generation.....

Intel could have simply continued development of their compute cards. There's actually little reason for them to develop a dedicated graphics card.

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I already said it before: Video card prices have gotten so high that Intel sees a reason. Intel loves high prices with good profits. They sold their NAND business because prices are low, with meager profits.

5. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    I have a great imagination? Did you even read what I posted? :)

6. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    At that price you won´t get anything near the performance of the 3070... Maybe the performance of the 2060 if you´re lucky.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Without CUDA support, Intel stands little chance of competing with NVidia in the professional graphics market. So, big investment for little return.
    In the HPC market, they don't need a graphics card. They need a highly efficient, highly parallel accelerator card with competitive performance.
    In the desktop market, they're going to be fighting AMD and NVidia....with no relevant history and an uphill battle. Memories of the i740 aren't going to sell Xe based cards. Questionable product support and driver quality aren't going to sell cards either.
    Intel has to sell cards to get the profits and it's not a market that Intel has impressed anyone in....

If the drivers are garbage, performance is of little concern. Without stable drivers, the card is essentially a paper weight. Better to go cheap and end up with a paper weight....

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    True. I think the drivers side is going to be Intel´s biggest challenge regarding their new GPUS, but who knows, maybe they´ll make it somehow...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020