Intel x299 cpu-s will not be soldered , crappy TIM again?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by zer0_c0ol, May 30, 2017.

1. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  2. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    That is f-ing b.s

I have had problems with my cpu from day one which is why I am looking to upgrade my whole platform to the new Intel one...but not if it's going to have heat/stability and overclocking issues....the exact problem I'm trying to buy my way out of.

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Takes a beafy cooling this days to cool Intel oc'd CPU's.

Where are the days when you could overclock Sandy Bridge to 4.8ghz with 212 Evo? :p

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Just get the AMD x399 they will be soldered , cheaper and have more PCI-E lanes (64) there is no chance in hell that I am getting the x299 now.. no chance !!!

5. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Just get the amd x399 and it will be good

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Remember not to overclock it m'kay?

7. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    not gonna get it :D

8. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Not to overclock an extreme/unlocked Intel CPU? Blasphemy!

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Just saw that, well that would suck if e.g. that 8core 7820x would suffer by it.

I would be happy if it did 4.5 - 4.6ghz, but now idk anymore. Will see soon, hopping for the best. If not then I'll just wait for next-gen x86 in 2yrs lol

10. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    get the amd x399 and be done with it

11. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Well it's not like Intel is supportive of that anyway unless you buy the warranty.

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @zero_cool
    I want more then 4.0 - 4.2ghz. :nerd:

13. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Tbh with ya, i will be getting the 12 or 14 core going from my six core and if they can oc to 4.0 ghz on all cores on water i will be happy..

amd x399 is simply better than intel x299 in every single way possible

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So what you're saying is that I should just get the x399 and be done with it?

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Well yeah I mean tbh with 64 lanes we are set up for at least 5-7 years.. Am i wrong on this? And we can assume that thread ripper will be cheaper also

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is yet to be seen. Both x299 and x399 could be disappointing or amazing. Declaring a winner before either is in the wild is folly.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That or a delid, say goodbye to your warranty.

I think that if Intel insists on using crap TIM, that they should offer their unlocked CPU's with an easily removable IHS which is covered under warranty.

What's the point in having an unlocked processor (which is often marketed as such, as well as a driving force behind many motherboard chipsets) if you can't actually OC it properly?

18. Emille

Emille Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.eurogamer.net/amp/digitalfoundry-2017-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-review

Judging from amd's history ( I built my first 2 pcs with amf cpus, celeron and athlon ) but since then they have never produced a cpu thatbis as good for the intel offerings for gamind, not even close. And given that that is the primary purpose of me buyinf anybhigh end components...saying that the amd offerings are better when they are much worse for gaming performance just isn't true.

AMDs cpus are still just cheaper more core cpus that perform well in tasks I do not perform, and worse in ones that I do.

It would take more than extra pci lanes to get me to buy amd again.

81 frames for the 1800x vs 130 frames for the 7700k in farcry primal...that is a difference that matters to me.

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If your first two CPUs were an Athlon and a Celeron, you didn't use AMD for your first two PCs. Celerons are budget Intel chips, always have been. If you think that AMD has never (in history) been as good or better than Intel, you haven't been in the hardware game for that long.

Outside of the odd exception, AMD held the crown from the late 90's up until the launch of the Core 2 Duo, although in fairness that was back in 2006. The earlier Athlons (such as the Thunderbird) went up against the P3 and early P4 iterations. They generally beat out Intel unless using the stupidly expensive RAMBUS over more common and far cheaper SDRAM.

Once AMD launched its Athlon XP range it generally left Intel in the dust, who pushed the P4. Hilariously, the lower end P4's were actually out performed by AMDs budget Duron chips in a number of cases. This trend continued when AMD launched the A64 and original FX (Not the modern Bulldozer +) line.

20. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Pay more for a worse CPU, no thanks :)