Intel will likely increase CPU pricing soon

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 15, 2022.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I get your point but that's not the most fair comparison. Haswell was released at a time when there was no competition. But even then, the fact that an 8 year old CPU can still play some modern games at 1080p and 60Hz shows how slowly CPU demand has evolved in games.
    People keep thinking that more cores automatically means better performance, but that's simply not true. Software has to be designed to scale up, and games tend to scale up very poorly. For every thread you add, you are decreasing the maximum frame rate. That's why most modern games tend to not really get any faster with more than 12 threads, I assume because that's the point of diminishing returns (in other cases, there's no functional purpose to add more threads). Many things that could use more CPU cores (like physics engines or improved computer player AIs) are done by GPUs instead. So, I think @TheDeeGee is right - unless games see some revolutionary change in the way they demand CPU power, getting something with at least 16 threads will serve you for many years.
    So long as you have a CPU that exceeds the performance of consoles, you don't really need to get anything better.

Yup, and don't forget the hefty increase in power draw too.
    I agree. This is why I hate the stock market - all these businesses care about is higher profits (obviously every business cares about profits, but not all care about exceeding their previous year's profits). They do the bare minimum to stay ahead only to make sure they get more sales than the competition. They are only incentivized to lower prices when their sales doesn't meet/exceed their expected revenue. They are only incentivized to make a better product when customer complaints are getting a little too loud.

2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    My next system/upgrade is going to be very difficult to choose due to prices increases on CPUs, MB and GPUs...

Good thing my current system is still going strong otherwise things would be ugly to my pockets.

But at the same time, the PS5 is looking better than ever...

Maddness likes this.
  3. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    Welcome to "post-modern", "unregulated", "oligopolistic", "wild-west" capitalism.

Hypernaut likes this.
  4. dragonlord

dragonlord Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    Ironic, since you are the one who is "out of touch". :)

There is no "recession" in the PC market. That was bullshit from an analyst comparing post Covid with pandemic sales figures (when everyone was upgrading because they were stuck at home).

The same analysis showed that PC sales today (post Covid) vs. PRE pandemic numbers are the same if not increasing. But the clickbait fearmongering headlines only focused on the bullshit part of this report...of course.

So, no, Intel is not making a mistake here in the world represented by REALITY, instead of the imaginary world of conspiracy kooks, clickbait, and LowIQanonsense.

PS Rightwing austerity measures have already proven not to work the entire world over. They will not be returning.

5. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It'll be interesting to see how many stay slavishly loyal to their chosen cults, I mean brands, as time progresses.

Hypernaut likes this.
  6. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    I cannot tell if this is sarcasm or not but I am aware of no unregulated or wild-west capitalism anywhere. The western governments of the world have their tendrils deep into their economies.

Why_Me likes this.
  7. DarkQuark

DarkQuark Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700 XT
    You can mock me if you wish but the standards of living will likely fall dramatically given all the sad economic news going on.

Why_Me likes this.
  8. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    Hold my beer, my FX8350 with RTX 3070 might hear you say that.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Are you serious? That poor 3070 :D

Why_Me likes this.
  10. cliffgamerz

cliffgamerz Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3070 8GB
    Well yes i am serious and yes i notice some heavy bottlenecking on most games but the effects are lot less when using 4K, so it mostly works out for me without much issues as i am locked to 60Hz. Whats bigger issue to me is PCIE 2.0 @16X the bandwidth restrictions can be felt a lot, but yeah i am one the rare few individuals who have this combination. Will i ever upgrade my CPU, and the answer to the question is yes, but i had some tough recent years so i gambled on grabbing the RTX 3070 when its was just released and got it for almost MSRP which to me was a Win itself as i saw many others ended up paying almost twice the money. CPU, motherboard and RAM along with decent AIO or Heatsink would be a long shot to buy judging by prices it may go, but getting an decent Ryzen 5000 or Intel 12th gen when price is right is my best bet, wont jump to newer arch unless the gains are massive as the price.

11. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    starting from fx8350, you'll see "massive gains" even on an i3
    12100f with 2.5x more fps on a 100usd processor (and pcie 5.0 16x)
    https://www.purepc.pl/test-procesor...be-czasu-sandy-bridge-czy-bulldozer?page=0,50

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    cliffgamerz likes this.
  12. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti
    I've noticed that many users have an illogical aversion and reluctance when it comes to buying "lesser" CPUs. I know quite a few people who are still sitting on outdated, if not outright ancient CPUs as they save up for a flagship product. It's absurd, especially considering they could have doubled or tripled their current performance for a fraction of the cost. Truly baffling.

13. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    my older i5 2500K, clocked at 4.5Ghz (has been since 2011) coupled with an RX 570 is still great for 1080. It all depends on what games you play. If you insist on playing console ports, saturated with microtransactions then you are going to need beefy machines. If you are still happy to pwn noobs in CSGO, why bother upgrading?

I'm hoping my 5800X with the Red Devil 5700 XT lasts for years to come, or at least until the nukes start falling then we get to play Metro and Fallout IRL.

Prince Valiant likes this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    make perfect sense people are gona spend less cause all inflation and economy of world taking hits, people send less mean less profit to those companies, so raise the prices those people that spend regardless pay more and line those companies pockets..... And when and if normal comeback we all get to pay those prices cause they got idea people will pay those prices anyway, wait they already figure that out decades again and if mining bs proved anything to them the people will pay.

gpu prices are hiked up from msrp point now cpu will join. then when sales take dive again time to put the cost up, they got protect those margins for the people getting insane salaries that or profits that do nothing to warrent those salaries other then sit in chair and tell people that actual do the work the dead line they must meet.

6700k and 1070ti might die first like monitor before i replace them:rolleyes:

Maddness likes this.
  15. Pryme

Pryme Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3060 12GB
    This is true, and it is not only from the perspective to the upgrade of the CPU, but you are upgrading to a newer platform the brings newer technologies, like PCI Express or DDR4, and all of that will give better communication will all of the components. I went form a FX 8320E to a Ryzen 2600, this last one I bought with a X470 motherboard and 16GB DDR4 for 320€. I sold my old components in the second hand market, so the upgrade was very well priced. I could had bought CPUs like the 3900x, for what?

We are getting really good CPUs for the price range of 200€ and bellow, they can sustain, to a certain level, really high end GPUs. DDR4 still cheap, nice motherboards, it is really not expensive to migrate to a newer platform.

16. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    in June 2020 i upgraded to the video card i could afford Geforce 1660 Super from a Geforce 1050 2GB, Well didn't quite fit that well in my old OEM PC case, so i decided at the time ok will upgrade case, cpu, motherboard, and Ram to go along with it. Traded in The Older I7 7700, and it's Ram, and case and dvd drive, and all of that at local shop--and got a pretty decent system to last me quite a few years, though the case i picked out starting to not like so much--very hard to get the front cover loosen to Clean the front fans, and plastic like glass in front of them

Thermaltake V200 TG RGB
    Intel I7 10700
    Gigabyte B460M_DS3H
    32GB of Ram DDR 4 2666mhz Corasir Vengenance
    Geforce 1660 Super
    WIfi 6/bluetooth 5.0 pcie x1 card
    M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus
    Samsung 860 Evo 1TB Game SSD
    and 4TB Storage Drive For Music, Photos, and Videos mostly

Old Specs
    Asus G11CD
    Intel I7 7700
    16GB of Ram
    Geforce 2GB
    Western Digital 250GB Sata SSD boot drive
    1TB Western Digital Black

Previously before the I7 7700 system bought
    had AMD FX 8310, R7 240 video card, WD Blue 250GB SSD boot drive, Seagate 1Tb storage drive, and built in wifi 5 on motherboard, and Gigabit ethernet port, dvd-rw drive, and usb 3.0, and 2.0 ports, and mulit card reader

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  17. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I just download more cores when games don't run well

18. TieSKey

TieSKey Master Guru

GPU:
    Gtx870m 3Gb
    I think u have it in the opposite direction there, the economic powers have their tendrils deep into western governments.
    (There was a time (50years ago) where it was like u say, but not anymore....)