Intel Update - Haswell Refresh Updated Roadmap Surfaces

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Ursopro

Ursopro Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 WindForce3
    Sweet! but I will stick with my 4770K 6/8 cores still not needed eh. Still have my AMD 8350 Vishera

3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I heard rumours of an unlocked Pentium as a 20th anniversary thing.

4. macdaddy

macdaddy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X
    My 4770k is a lemon. Lets see what kind of BASE OC that they can get with these.

5. JulesCools

JulesCools Banned

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    Waiting to upgrade my Vishera with a 6 or 8 core... man that will be epic

6. mohsentux

mohsentux Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9500 GT 1GB
    Is this DDR4 going to be a big thing??
    because i wanted to upgrade my computer to haswell and after hearing about haswell-e features i was wondering about saving my money on this.
    ps: i only have budget for one gpu so this 40 lanes feature won't benefit me.
    i'm just curious about the difference between ddr3 and ddr4 in real-time gaming senarios.

7. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    There wont be any differences between ddr3 and ddr4 in real-time gaming senarios.

8. kenoh

kenoh Active Member

GPU:
    TitanXP 2.1GHz
    maybe a difference of 1 to 2fps but the real difference will be in battery life for mobiles and laptops!

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Probably more fore future games but it also depends on what speed DDR4 you get. I'm probably mistaken on this, but from what I understood based on old info on DDR4, you can only have one stick per channel. With DDR3 dual channel motherboards you typically have four slots, so you can have two RAM sticks on the individual channels or four RAM sticks with two sharing a channel. What this would mean is DDR4 motherboards will only come with two slots, which probably really isn't an issue if you are running 2x8 GB sticks. You will also see 16 GB sticks in the future, and probably 32 GB sticks as well. For typical computers, you won't really need 32 GB or 64 GB of RAM anytime soon (conceivably). This is especially true since there has been a recent focus on increasing efficiency in terms of hardware use.

You can have more than two slots with DDR4, it just means you have to have more RAM channels and bigger sockets to accommodate those pins. A bigger CPU socket is required because the memory controllers are on the CPU die. Think socket 2011 with quad channel RAM, this would, if it were DDR4, give you your four RAM slots.

I believe they changed it because two slots is more compatible, and most people are sensible and run 2x8 GB instead of 4x4 GB, or 2x4 GB instead of 4x2 GB. Very rarely do people run 4x8 GB, and if they do need that a socket 2011 processor may be more practical.