Intel To Launch 8th Gen Core Processors August 21st

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 8, 2017.

1. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    So tired of the Amd the is the greatest, Intel is greed buhu.
    I want the fast clocked 6 core cpu and that's it, don't mind who make it. (But amd is struggling getting 4.1 ghz, far from 5+ghz.)
    The reason is simple, i use far too much time in games that are very cpu clock speed dependent (not gpu bound) , and each minute i can save is worth upgrading for.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I don't know who said Ryzen was the greatest. Please put the hands up. It just offers way too close performance in games for significantly less money while offering work performance that Intel offers usually for double the price...
    AMD is the absolute price/performance winner.

3. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    Forget Intel, AMD is the future. Their new extreme cpus don't even need a cpu cooler. :roll:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Define: Murder.

Given the IPC differences (which unless they pull a hat out of their butts, i don't see being much different to the current 7000 line of processors) being not so different between Ryzen and Intel processors, but in Intels favor, would put total processing power of the 1800x at above, to slightly above, depending on the the benchmark. The 1700x would be around the same performance. And the 1700 would be slightly below the 8700k.

So...define: Murder?

As well, people are expecting the processor to be around $339, which you pointed out. But, i find it interesting you lay it out as if its fact. I mean, sure, it's possible, it'd kinda, sorta, go along the lines of their last pricing, but what does that have to do with anything? Until they announce the pricing, i'm not entirely certain what the point of stating a fact based off an opinion is.

Uh, yes, absolutely they are at fault. I mean, what kind of question is that? "You think the people who decide the prices are at fault for setting the prices too high". I mean, duh? I mean, you just said they were, so....duh? I really don't understand the question at all. Not to mention they are very much at fault for halting their own development and giving everyone breadcrumbs for the last many years.

Since the beginning of time? Like seriously i have no idea what you are trying to state. You just asked if being greedy makes you greedy? .... What?

Let me ask you this:

If greed is completely fine, and consumers don't deserve to be upset about it because that's "the name of the game", do you then agree there is nothing wrong with Turing Pharmaceuticals making Daraprim go from $13.50 to $750 a tablet, overnight? With no just reason, other then greed? Do you agree that you getting completely screwed over for absolutely no reason, is completely fine, and you have absolutely no just reason to complain, because it's all in the name of the game: Greed?

The correct answer, from any sane person, is: No.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    "Rebates". Also known as bribery. 250 mil was the lowest it dropped to after the 1 billion a quarter when they started full-on selling Opteron servers instead of 1 line which initially dropped it by hundreds of millions too.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, Intel's tactics are pretty disgusting, and quite pathetic. A confident, successful company would let their products speak for themselves and compete on a level playing field. Intel is in no way a mature, confident company. Even now, they show just how childish they are - announcing an 18-core at the eleventh hour because of Threadripper ("nuh uh, I have moar cores!"), and calling EPYC "glued-together" (as if the Core 2 Quad didn't exist). It's really interesting that AMD, despite their financial troubles, seems like the more mature, confident company.

Previously, my money went to Intel because of the Bulldozer fiasco. Now that AMD is back with a high-IPC product, my money will go towards AMD. As for Coffee Lake: what need do I have for a hexa-core when I already have an octa-core? Too little, too late.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No, I dont agree.
    But then again I dont believe in laissez faire, in "small govt", nor in market free of regulations which has all kinds of self-imbued magic powers.
    And I bet that at least some of my forum colleagues do. While at the same time screaming greedy intel. Which makes no sense.

Intel should not even be fined if one subscribes to above mentioned concepts.
    Me, I would send them to fuking jail.

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It's so funny how every Intel thread on here turns into a Ryzen pumping Intel hating b*tchfest from m Ryzen owners (or Ryzen apologists). If you guys like the Ryzen so much just enjoy using it, don't come in every Intel news thread and try justfying your purchase over and over and over again.

None of you shills need respond to this. If you do I will not respond Bach as you are likely on ignore.

10. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    You are wrong, 1600X wont be its competition , competition is based on PRICE not features.
    So if 8700K costs like 1800x, than it will be its competition (and of course its going to beat it in gaming, no arguments here).

11. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Personally Ryzen and TR have no value for me, ZERO value.
    Its funny how all of a sudden tons of people that were mostly cheap FX users and old Intel users became "content creators" overnight and need 8 core systems just because AMD had cheap 8 core CPU.
    So lets look at it from gamer perspective: Right now 1800X cant beat Intel 6700K - 7700K in gaming, add to it AWESOME 7700K overclocking potential, 5Ghz is absolutely not rare, especially if you delid and use AIO WC, while on AMD side, overclocking features and all the good motherboards with tons of overclock potential are useless, because even 4Ghz is rarity for Ryzen unless you choose 1800x that costs just like Intel HEDT CPU which can be overclocked to near 5Ghz and sometimes 5 Ghz.

So I have 5820K @ 4.5ghz and want to upgrade, i went looking at benchmarks and reading about Ryzen, yes you can get a good mobo for around 200$ BUT any Ryzen even 1800x will be a Downgrade in my case, I Game and browse thats it.
    Oh and my X99 Sabertooth has 10 SATA ports only one free, most Ryzen mobos have 4 and 6 ports, i found 8 and that was on the top end.

So TR comes out, if it case only do 4.1Ghz, again, its not going to beat my CPU in gaming, so whats the point? Moar Coares?

Im waiting for Coffee Lake, the 8700K has rumored 4.7Ghz Turbo it means it has overclock potential up to 5.5Ghz - 5.6Ghz (Mine does 3.6Ghz Turbo and stable at 4.5Ghz i never tested 4.6Ghz but many people did and its stable with AIO)
    Even at 5Ghz, do you think tehre is ANY AMD CPU that can beat 4 or especially 6 core Intel at Gaming?
    Honestly, I been keeping my 5820K with HT disabled from day one, idont need it, it has boost in office programs which i dont care but in most games you get downgrade, so that 6 core i5 ifit has same overclocking speeds as i7-8700, will Cheap as hell BEAST that in GAMING going to beat ANYTING, Ryzens, TR or Intel own HEDT line, its going to be unstoppable .
    If it overlooks higher than 8700K i might step down from HEDT i7 to mainstream i5 to step up in gaming, but right now im more interested in 8700K, it has more chance so it might be faster than 6 core i5 clock for clock and its nice to have HT if i might need it for something.

P.S. If anyone have any non fanboy suggestions of Upgrade patch to my CPU/Mobo, do tell, im only interested in gaming performance.

12. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    You have a very powerful cpu already. If you are interested only in gaming you have no reason to upgrade at all.
    But if someone is building a new pc or his upgrade would require a new motherboard anyway (and maybe the need to move from DDR3 to DDR4), there is no reason to prefer Intel.
    The price/performance ratio favors AMD and the money saved can be spent on more ram or in a better gpu or in a faster hard disk.
    I don't need to be a content creator of some sort to take advantage of the higher number of threads that a cpu can offer: think of compressing, decompressing, converting media, rendering 3D models and animations.

13. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    So you decide competition based on price? Really? :D :banana:

14. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    I want o upgrade, i dont like keeping same hardware for long it looses re-sale value, i get the top GPU every generation so i can re-sale it for top dollar and get a new one for much less.
    I almost pre-ordered TR on amazon, one of the mobos comes with free 50$ steam voucher so its kind of 50$ discount.
    But decided to wait for gaming benchmarks and overclocking results for 12 core TR and whats going on with the 8 core TR, if its benefits from Quad Channel and gets higher overclock compared to 1800x.
    And now they said Coffe Lake comes out this month too, so ill wait and see how 8700K compares to mine and its maximum overclock.

Everything you listed is extremely rare, most people dont do it, compressing or decompressing file is already fast enough and anyway limited by HDD speed.
    Everything else is rare/hobby grade.

Right now I dont see where you save any money, right now on Amazon

Ryzen 1800x - 420$ (and its slower than cheaper 7700K in gaming)
    Ryzen 1700x - 350$
    Ryzen 1700 - 290$
    i7-7700k - 308$

15. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Actually your 5820 is slower than 7700K. Else yepp, you don't need to upgrade. But what is your problem with users owning old Intel or FX platforms changing to Ryzen? Anything else you talk about clock speeds is just pure rumour, so wait for the actual speeds. But dreaming about 5,5 GHz. Well yeah, it's more like a "hehe" now. :wanker:

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    I don't want to speak instead of him, but he only meant price... :)

17. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    i5s do not seem to come with HT, though - so you've got 6 cores and nothing else. That at least is what rumors and leaks seem to suggest currently.

Direct competitor, price wise, would then be the 1600X, which comes with 12 threads.

For ~$50 more you're already in 1700 territory.

In terms of workload tasks I suspect the i5 (and potentially the i7) to be doa given their direct competitors (price wise).

In terms of gaming it might eges out Ryzen again by a slim margin - but unless that margin is larger than it is currently in the same price bracket I'd be surprised if anyone considered an i5 over the 1600(X).

If the X299 mess is any indicator the i5 and i7 may just run hot and inefficient on top of it. Unless they do coolable mid 4ghz OCs I'm not sure they'll be worth their while - especially since they're asking for a new chipset again.

There's hope that numbers and graphs will show something worthwhile or fantastic even. That said, I'd be hardpressed to believe that any Z170/270 owner doesn't feel backstabbed by Intels Chipset hell. Between the suggested Z270, X299 and the upcoming Z370 Intel has three 'high end' chipsets on the market simultaneously.

18. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    I don't know what there is to argue anyway Coffee Lake 6/12 will beat 1600x at higher price. It's not some magical new thing Intel came up with either it's a refinement over Kaby.

I expect this 8700K to be better then this 7800x which somehow ends up losing to 1600x in quite a few games even.

https://youtu.be/UfNMn7RWgLw

Hmph 4.3ghz hexacore turbo. 4.7 for single core. So possibly 4.7-5ghz for all core maybe? Or will it run to a wall there. Might be a decent set to buy for my spouse over her 6700 non k.

19. gianluca

gianluca Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 TI 8GB
    7700K is about 330€ in Italy
    has 4 cores and 8 threads, 8MB L3 cache, 91W tdp.

Ryzen 5 1600 is about 210€
    has 6 cores and 12 threads, 16MB L3 cache, 65W tdp and can be overclocked on air at the same frequencies of the 1600X (ramping to 95W).
    It comes with a good cpu cooler.
    A good B350 mobo costs about 110€
    According to Digital Foundry is pretty good in gaming.

Now, unless one uses the computer only to play Arma 3 I don't see why he should prefer the 7700k over the Ryzen 1700 or 1600 for every other game or computer task.
    In my opinion the slightly advantage in the IPC can't justify the choice of a cpu with less cores that costs the same or more of a cpu that instead has better price/performance ratio and better power consumption.

20. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I'd take X299 benchmarks as reference. See 7800X for instance. Chances are the 8700K will not be much different, if at all. Most commonly ~4.6ghz was the chip's wall (hgh core count ones), at times regardless of VCore. The power draw also went through the roof. I suspect 4.8ghz at best on a golden chip (which is everything but bad, mind you ;) )

That's still a decent chunk over AMDs offerings (~15%?) but I wouldn't expect 5ghz Hexa, let alone Octa core all core OC on Intel's current architecture.

The other X299 chips ran more into a temperatur wall where it became uncoolable more than anything else.