Intel to introduce Xe-HPG gaming GPU with hardware RayTracing

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/GTX 1060
    Hopefully, they will deliver, at least in the mid-range. The more competition we have - the better.

3. Davud

Davud Member

GPU:
    MSI 5700XT Gaming X
    If by mid-range, they mean 5600 XT/ 2060 level performance, things are gonna get interesting. That is, if they manage to keep the price competitive; unlike their NVMe pricing strategy.

4. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    My money is on this being a joke to everybody for the hole of 2021.

angelgraves13 and waltc3 like this.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Im glad. More competiton the better.

Maddness and waltc3 like this.
  6. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Competition is fine, but drivers will kill it and its just first step for Intel, they would new few generations to compete..

Maddness likes this.
  7. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    yeah if they manage to do that will be a huge success ! and i hope they do!

that seems a likely scenario too :(

Silva likes this.
  8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    But Intel makes good drivers. I would argue the only problem with Intel's Windows drivers is they obsolete them too soon. So basically once something becomes a couple years old, they just cease development (on Linux, Intel constantly improves their older devices; not sure about Mac).
    As long as Intel actually keeps up with their drivers, I'm sure we'll see something good enough.

Now... when it comes to driver maturity, I think we might have to expect Intel to be somewhat slower than they should be since they have to basically start from scratch with application profiles. But considering they're releasing their entry-level stuff first, that will give them the time they need to refine everything.

cucaulay malkin likes this.
  9. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I do agree however Intel has the largest driver teams on the planet. I'm not joking no other company comes close. The drivers wont be an issue other than some initial teething and they wont take years to sort out as Intel has the man power. If Intel is serious my only concern is the hardware because everything else I know Intel is best in class at.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    The more the merrier!

11. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    If HP has 2048 execution units with 4 tiles, probably that 1 tile is maximum of 512 EU. Each EU has 8 cores, so that is 4096 cores. If they going TSMC N5, while waiting for P1276, which is density of TSMC N3, it might end up around 3080 non Ti. or even 3080 Ti.

12. Weekend

Weekend Member

GPU:
    1660 S
    Anyone remembers GRID 2 having intel only options on graphic settings? Ohhh man nvidia gameworks all over again!

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Am i missing something? Nothing in this article suggests they are doing some proprietary Intel only thing?

14. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ryzen + intel gpu gaming rig, what a time to be alive..

15. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super Trio
    I bet they'll be better than navi

this is very good news.
    gonna sit on my 2070S not only till RDNA2 but gonna waith for Xe HPG too.Thank God I swapped the 1080Ti for this,I have a chance of running CP2077 with DLSS

16. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G970/3.5G MSI
    Graphics drivers are different animal than any other drivers.. look at its size and there are 25 years of development on ATI / Nvidia site, they often send its people to help games developer teams. Intel ignored videocards games support from its Intel 740 last external graphics, which was even bought from other company.

Intel drivers would be probably working well enough with new games, but most of gamers are playing lots of older games too.. I have some small 6 inch PC handheld for traveling with Intel HD graphics and its nightmare, most of games needs some settings fiddling like dgVoodoo, or ini files editing to run properly, most of them on Nvidia is running fine out of box.

Maddness likes this.
  17. Venix

Venix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit 1060 6gb
    well surprisingly the faster apu on graphics side ever made for the pc market is still the nuc hades isn't it ? that was one of the things that hell must have frozen for it to happen !

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Might be worth it to wait for this. I'd bet that they are going to be aggressive with the pricing and that might force others to response.

19. K.S.

K.S. Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SOLD!
    Hoping for a 2070 competitor at least.

20. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Active Member

GPU:
    2070 Super Trio
    2060 is gonna be lower mid range by next year,its saving grace is a lot of triple A's are gonna support dlss,and only that.
    5600xt is lower mid range now,next year it's gonna be a lot slower and support fewer features than a console.

but if this is the performance level you're after,then you will have a lot of good choices.