Intel To Increase Coffee Lake production - Uses New Fab

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    It's poor, because like most of Intels Products, when they are running behind (in this case AMD) they rush out paper launches.
    Throughout Intels history, this is common practice. Anyone remember the 1Ghz Pentium?
    Anyway, my thoughts, poor yields at the factory and extremely limited production, just to say, we have this.. look... we are honest people!

fry178 and cryohellinc like this.
  3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Doubt the quality will be the same.

There is a reason why none of the german car makers are importing the cars (made in china) to germany,
    even that labor is a large portion of the cost (to make a car).

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Even Trump couldn't stop the giant Intel from moving production to China.

I have no idea what might be the human factor in manufacturing CPUs. If there are only a few humans needed to assure the quality, then there's no real reason why the quality would be different. If they pay a big enough salary, they can get the well-educated, talented Chinese engineers who are no worse than anywhere else in the world. But if it takes a lot of people and Intel is only planning to save money by paying low wages (it's a financial corporation, not a technology corporation, after all), it could be an entirely different story.

fry178 likes this.

5. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It's way Intel can go about tax minimisation as well as selling the processors into their local market.

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If this brought down prices of their unlocked processors then I'm all for it, but I don't see that happening. For the i3, it's a $60 premium to have an unlocked processor. For the i5, it's a $100 premium to have an unlocked processor. That's just beyond greedy. I'm not trying to turn this into an AMD vs Intel discussion, but you can get an unlocked Ryzen and have the advantage of having an unlocked processor.

Don't know if it's the case but I heard if you have a locked Coffee Lake cpu you can't set a higher memory frequency even an XMP profile for your memory?

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Only reason to limit the memory speed in such a fashion is the same reason why they bin the locked and unlocked processors.

8. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

this may seem a bit unwieldy as an analogy, but i think it's apt -
    Intel is taking an Airbus A380 strategy (clock speeds thus equivalent to passenger load - one giant hammer) while AMD is taking the Boeing Dreamliner strategy ( able to use regional airports, modular construction - lots of smaller hammers)...
    right now Boeing has won the argument, it remains to be seen about AMD.

9. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Its not that simple, you dont build FABs overnight, it takes years

10. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    yearS? doubt that. maybe one, and even if, china can throw ten times more ppl at it which will speed up the whole process a lot.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    finally out of pre-production I see, hopefully these new chips will oc even better than the earlier samples

12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    My local Microcenter must be one of the luckiest retailers because almost every time ive checked, they've had these chips in stock. Right now they have the 8700, 8600k, and 8700k in stock.

13. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I think its a political move because of 7xxx series inventory more than anything. You can still buy those CPU everywhere.

Also, who the heck would certify a new fab with a top end CPU product? That China fab must have be already producing something before Intel would let them have a go at the K series CPU.

The last thing I would worry about would be ASIC quality. If these fabbed cpus will OC the same, then thats a great sign of things to come. A lot of the web testing so far have been Engineering samples hitting high OC where as most production CPU never get that high.

I remember Haswell going up nearly to 5 GHZ but when production came out for the first few batchs, most were down at 4.4 to 4.5 GHZ. Its only at the end of the cycle that more, not most, were hitting over 4.7 + GHZ delidded.

So I would love to see a boxed retail unit tested to see how far those cpu will really go before buying.

tunejunky likes this.