Intel to hold conference for 2020 Arctic Sound discrete GPU next month

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    Despite coming from the company we all know its known to have shady business practices, its good news for all consumers.
    I'm really happy if they can deliver a competitive product that shakes the competition around and forces innovation to progress faster.
    We all need competition to push prices down, or in the near future most hardware will be out of reach for the masses.

2. Vananovion

Vananovion Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX Vega 56
    Hopefully by that time, Intel will start providing samples to EU reviewers, so Hilbert won't have to buy his own to review.

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    a lot of you guys seem to not give intel credit
    $15,000 work station card is what I expect

4. tunejunky

tunejunky Maha Guru

GPU:
    RadeonVII RTX 2070
    since Intel is larger than AMD and Nvidia, with market penetration in the 90 percentile bracket this will be a successful product. whether it is "good" or not is actually besides the point.
    the simple fact is there are more people using integrated graphics than there are using discrete gpu's...
    all they need to do is slap "Intel inside" and it will sell, particularly if used for data centers and scientific application.
    and as far as all of the power draw jokes, we will see. Intel is under extreme pressure to have greater efficiency by governmental agencies (everywhere but the US and China) and AMD has beaten them like a well used rug on that point with Epyc... and will on 7nm (efficiency) as well.

5. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, but a lot of people are assuming that it'll be a gaming GPU and will provide competition in the consumer GPU market. You can see this in this very thread.

schmidtbag likes this.
  6. m4dn355

m4dn355 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi 7870 GHz Edit.
  7. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Intel has previous dealings with proprietary, restricted technology, so it wouldn't be unthinkable at all if their GPU can be coupled with Intel CPU+chipset in a manner that benefits the whole, whereas using an Nvidia or AMD GPU would produce lesser results. Reality has proven such moves don't hurt companies, like Nvidia holding the 70-80% market share despite their adaptive sync, G-Sync, requiring customers to pay a lot of extra for the screens (vs Freesync).

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Well, there is difference between adoption of proprietary technology and popularity/recognition of brand.
    nVidia has like 80% of gaming dGPU market. Yet there are like 3~4 times as many Freesync screens than G-Sync. That means Screen manufacturers rather adopt Freesync which has much lower user base, than to produce screen which sells poorly due to extra cost of G-Sync module.

carnivore and tunejunky like this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    so in 2 years intel will deliver a dGPU that is on par to what amd has now? I highly doubt they will have some on par to what nvidia has. seeing the guy behind there gpu is the guy that been behind amd gpu untill just few years ago.

as for Gsync I said it before I will say it again Nvidia made huge mistake with how the went with it,

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  10. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX560 4GB
    Thanks to trader Rat face.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    I am pretty sure they have driver code to support VESA Adaptive Sync ready for moment they decide to stop milking G-Sync.
    For that time when they expect AMD to hit hard. Because day nVidia GPUs officially start working with Adaptive Sync is day every single AMD user with Freesync screens considers nVidia's GPU at least for a moment.
    And that may deliver extra sales for them before AMD does deliver that heavy hitter GPU.

carnivore likes this.
  12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well my gpu supports Gsync my monitor does not, I not getting new monitor till this one dies maybe by then gsync monitors will be affordable, or better yet nvidia supports what is parts of the vesa standard

Fox2232 likes this.
  13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Honestly be it any type of GPU, I'm all for it. We need more competition in GPU's in any type of usage.

14. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    So will Intel adopt Freesync?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    true but it also has to "competition" if it 2-3 generations behind the leader performance wise it not "competition" imo and dont help prices in way.

AMD is how many generations behind performance wise compared to nvidia? this probably one reason why nvidia decided it ok to raise the prices for last 2 generations by quite bit

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Raja Koduri is leading this development, who has had a great amount of success in AMD and Apple designing Graphics solutions. That experience plus the most likely infinite R&D funding from Intel could lead to a very promising product.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hopefull amd r&d funds was the issue and as such intel wont have this issue and Raja can produce

18. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    A single generation? Although the situation is more complicated since GCN technology seems to be a dead end already, so they could do nothing about it, even if they wanted to. AMD needs a whole new architecture to catch up, and nobody knows if they can succeed at it or not. Certainly Raja didn't believe in it since he left the ship. Sony and MS probably do believe AMD can do it if they stick to AMD for the next console generation as well. Not that there would be a whole lot of choices available.

19. zero_cool

zero_cool Active Member

GPU:
    Two amd fury X
    It’s intel architecture day..not a ‘dgpu day’

— Raja Koduri (@Rajaontheedge) November 28, 2018

no dgpu

20. SHS

SHS Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It not google “dropping ice down a borehole explained”