Intel to Further Bundle Optane memory With Series 200 motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Not so sure

I'm not sure this will have much if any impact on the DIY market as most who would roll there own would pick up an SSD instead. Hey Intel, maybe reduce prices of all your mid to high end desktop CPU's would help?

3. moeppel

moeppel Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Especially DIY people know about the usefulness of Optane - so of all things I'd bundle there, Optane wouldn't be it.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    They have to do something with their Optane stock I spose.

5. madagent

madagent Maha Guru

GPU:
    Voodoo
    Yes, the memory that nobody asked for or needed. It's useless in it's current form to an average user, gaming machine, and probably HEDT users too.

6. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They should just make standard compatibility M.2 NVMe SSDs with 3D XPoint and sell them for a reasonable price. I know I'd rather spend an M.2 slot for a good-sized SSD, not some stupid 16GB lolptane drive.

7. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Like everyone said before, Optane in his current state is useless! Don´t understand why Intel even bothered releasing it...

This would surely help.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    To recuperate costs. This was supposed to be the great memory/storage unifier technology. It seems that none of them have really come into fruition, including HP's Machine.

9. RedSquirrel

RedSquirrel Guest

GPU:
    Intel Iris 6100
    I wouldn't use Optane in it's current form if you gave it to me for free.

Optane is miles from what it was touted to be, it needs years more development.

10. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hard to recuperate costs with a product that nobody wants... As for what it was supposed to be, we have to give it some time. This is the first generation so maybe in the future it will be what it promised to be...

11. Warrax

Warrax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Intel is shooting themselves in the foot with this. As soon as I saw the prices when it was first announced, I knew there wouldnt be demand for it, the price is way too high atm.

12. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I've personally never looked into this optane crap but from what I can gather from comments I assume it's just like using a cache drive is that right?

13. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Amd

I agree and wish the same about AMD. I do believe Intel has slowed its pace so AMD can get back in the race. In the long term its more profitable having AMD with some extra market share than being deemed a monopoly. When Icelake comes out in 1-2 years we will know exactly how much if any Intel was sandbagging for the last few years.

14. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    I told this before,Intel need a CEO with vision of the future,not some old fart which is still have past visions.Yeah,lets get them some i5/i7 with 5-7% perf,lets get them over-priced Xeons with new socket,but same tick-tock.

Nobody waits Skylake-X or Coffee Lake,because they will be over-priced vs Ryzen 7.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I don't think you understand the technicalities in having huge performance increases.

It's going to be small 5-7% boosts until they hit some kind of breakthrough.

Yeah you could say more cores but still average PC user can't use many.

Granted Prices should be lower but that's another story.

On topic:
    Optane is really nice regarding latency..
    Ten times less than avg SSD but in consumer market that's not too important.

16. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I would definitely love to take advantage of the technology since I'm the very few that are still using all SATA hard drive but alas, the narrowed vision of only making the memory available only for the Kaby Lake chip and above is pretty lame. Just upgraded to Skylake on last summer and have no desire to upgrading this machine for a long while.

Might jump on the SSD bandwagon soon but just don't have any desire of reinstalling everything for a while... we'll see how it goes.

17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Prices,hope not like this. :D

[​IMG]

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    ~$480 is not a lot of money for a card that practically runs every single game at 60FPS+ QHD and has no competition currently. Nvidia could have kept the price up at $600 if it wanted to and priced the Ti at $800. There were people literally expecting the Ti to be priced at $800 and we're still going to buy it prior to it being announced, me included.

19. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    At launch Gtx 1080 was expensive,FE or not.Now you can buy cheaper on ebay.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    So basically every card?

At launch the Fury X was $650 - a little over a year later it was selling for $350-400. AMD must be so greedy to charge that insane $650 number initially, said no one ever.