Intel Talks About Discrete Graphics Processor at ISSCC

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Intel can deliver whatever dGPU they want. People are not going to buy them for gaming till their drivers improve.

rl66 likes this.
  3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    On other hand low segment from AMD still use "legacy" version of the driver only, and NVidia despite using latest driver don't use latest technology from those driver (at least until recent GT 1030)...

Green, Red or now Blue... it's the just a question of color, they do the same things.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The drivers don't matter much if the product isn't competitive.... Currently, their drivers really aren't bad for an entry-level iGPU. The lack of adequate support is a bigger issue.

Intel has never had a competitive product in the dGPU market. Their last attempt to compete in the discrete graphics market was an utter failure.

5. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    well a dgpu I don't know they can't make us a new slot every launch can they?

it will go the way the last one they made did ,show us then throw it in the trash

Silva and Clawedge like this.
  6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "The GPU would be based on existing Intel's integrated GPU architecture but advances on that."

lol.....

7. Samishere

Samishere Guest

GPU:
    980 Ti
    I don't think anyone is going to be interested in this for gaming, but since HandBrake can use QuickSync for 10-bit HEVC encoding it would be awesome just for accelerated video encoding. Yeah, AMD and NVidia have their encoding acceleration, but QuickSync has been shown to be the most accurate and best implemented.

8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Intel clearly wants a piece of the mining market...

Havel, KissSh0t and sammarbella like this.
  9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The last dGPU they made was the Intel 740... Larrabee was never actually shown as a functional dGPU.

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah I do remember seeing it on stage at some announcement so it was a wood screw thing, after they threw it in the garbage
    because they know it takes more then hardware.

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    Well, no one has mentioned(I didn't read the link) is that buying a $900 GPU isn't high on peoples list of things to do. As mentioned they want to cash in on mining, n pull more buyers back to the BLUE team away from Red. I don't see it happening but.........

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    HAHAHAHAHA

You made my day!

13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    I dunno, its fine for basic desktop/gfx/video acceleration, but trying to scale it up is horrible idea imo. unless they somehow managed to improve their compute performance considerably i don't see this working very well,

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Seems completely pointless, might as well use an integrated solution. Years ago they used to have discrete cards like the i740, but despite their branding was never really successful. I guess Apple ripped that small i off Intel.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I don't recall that. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

The i740 performed poorly compared to nearly every competing product. Sometimes, not even brand recognition can save a piss poor product. Now, they'll be fighting against poor market reputation.....if they actually manage to release a product this time. I'm sure the Larrabee fiasco hasn't been forgotten.

16. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    If it helps lower the price of AMD/Nvidia graphics cards then so be it.

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Might have been interested in this two months or so ago. Now I won't touch that thing with a pole...

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Their top end Iris Pro isn't horrible for an integrated GPU. If they could multiply that power by even a few times for a discrete card, then they'd have a market to sell to.

19. AzzKickr

AzzKickr Guest

GPU:
    Vega64
    Reminds me of my beloved Intel i740 card, coupled to a pair of V2's ! Aaaah good old times !

20. Cooe

Cooe Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 Fury X 4GB
    It won't have any effect at all. It's miners driving up the prices at the moment. The manufacturer sale price has not changed, and never does (they are legally not allowed to by their sales contracts). Nvidia and AMD only profit from the current insanity through increased sales. Blame the sale prices on the miners and retailers.