Intel Six Core Lineup exposed - Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8600K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. NeoandGeo

NeoandGeo Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970 @1420
    Very true. The people that are and have always been preaching about the 2500k being enough sometimes without any overclock at all are not playing a variety of games besides GPU bound games at less than acceptable framerates in the first place, so of course there is no difference to them.

My extra $80 investment in the 2600k over the 2500k paid off almost immediately when I happened to try and see if I could get by my 4.6Ghz barrier with HT turned off. Tried a 64 player BF3 server with everything set to max... 4.7Ghz, but bordering on 100% CPU usage at times with dropped frames everywhere. HT turned on I never saw over 80% usage in any scenario.

An i5 is really only suitable if you want to play bordering or below console level details and purchase lower end GPU's in the $100-$150 range.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    HT did not help you as much as you think there. That 80% utilization does not mean your CPU was not limiting factor anymore, it just means that some of HT threads were not loaded.
    Only confirmation that CPU is no longer limiting factor is over/down-clock and confirmation that there is no change in fps.
    Our Sandys are thing of past now. Not because low IPC, but because of low memory throughput, that changed much more than IPC itself.

3. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    51% on far-cry is also a quite huge dent in the fps in my opinion. and 15-20 is the norm for the other games.

I agree that for anything non-gaming more cores are better, but it's plain silly to say the cpu's with many slow cores are on par with the 7700K on fps. (not saying you say this, but many are)

As you say, it's important for new buyers to think about their needs.. do you need those extra fps? or can you easily live with the 90fps if you run 1080p and get a huge boost in productivity.. or do you really need to kick every game 144fps at the cost of power in non-gaming task.
    I surely won't say what is the right choice for others, as we all use the PC differently - but for this round, I myself went with the i7 and rock high FPS, and then I'd rather wait for a bit longer when processing other tasks, where seriously, another minute while I do something else does not bother me at all- but FPS-drops do :)

4. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    BS still refusing to put HT in budget processors other than the celeron or pentium whatever is called.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    in general i try to be objective as much as possible nobody is 100% objective after all , well the way i see it the 1st and foremost criteria to buy anything should be your personal needs combined with your budget that's why i still sit on my cpu and i am hopeful that it will be enough for a card of the performance level of 580/1060 or so , there is the case of future proofing to be made then again i believed that with the phenom2 x6 thuban cpu's as it came out the 4core phenom 2 are not far slower in gaming than the x6 ones today so future proofing on that aspect never became a factor although it is 8 years later conditions are not the same ...i hope though this time it will not be the same case

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    i3 has HT.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Most Intel products have HT. Quark, most Atom models, most Pentium models, a few Xeons, and desktop i5s are the only exceptions. As Loophole pointed out, i3 has HT, and most mobile variants have HT. Anything more powerful than an i3 isn't budget anymore, so what exactly are you missing?

8. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The i5 has been the budget processor for gaming for some time now, the lower stuff is just the better than nothing option. My point is that it´s ridiculous that atom and i3 owners can extract more efficiency/performance from their cores.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    According to what? The i5 is literally defined as mainstream while an i3 is regarded as a budget gaming CPU. If you OC an i5 and manage your tasks well, it is still a very capable gaming CPU for modern games. Though a 4c/4t CPU is a bit outdated, the price point of i5 isn't budget.

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    On top of that mobile i5's have HT.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    aren't those dual cores though ? i know some of the i7's are on the mobile market correct me if i am wrong .

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yes, they are. And many of the mobile i7s are dual cores too. But the fact of the matter is, a quad core i5 is basically an i7. So it's no longer the same performance tier.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Total extractable performance per core is meaningless. What matters is:
    - Performance per thread (For single threaded workloads)
    - Performance of entire CPU (For Multi threaded workloads)
    Therefore meaningful thing here is performance per $ paid. And there i5 is between i3 and i7.
    Yes, mobile i3/i5/i7 are 2C/4T, their differentiators are clock, cache size and iGPU performance. This applies to basically all CPUs below 25W.

Then intel has those i7-xxxx HQ/MQ/... which are 40W+ and they are real 4C/8T.
    Funny part is that they cost around same as those low power 2C/4T (~$400).

But in ~95% of intel's notebooks, you'll find 2C/4T.

14. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/Hyper-Threading-may-be-Killing-your-Parallel-Performance-578/

HyperThreading isnt that big of a deal in many cases. I have it disabled currently because of the Skylake HT bug, and dont notice much difference.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This is indeed good news and I am hoping once this is released that Intel will make a hex core mobile CPU for Laptops and the Laptop manufactures can make a hex core gaming laptop just like AMD did. Im looking for a hex core gaming laptop with an Nvidia gpu in it.