Intel Six Core Lineup exposed - Core i7-8700K and Core i5-8600K

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 17, 2017.

1. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I see. I'm planning on getting a 16c TR for grid computing. I don't ever plan on gaming on it - I have my Ryzen system for that.

I dunno, I think the chance of a 8c TR is slim to none. Even if they cobbled one together, I doubt it will beat Intel in gaming - I think they'd need to clock way higher to do that.

2. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    It depends on what Ryzen you buy and what you do with it.
    I can overclock my 1700 500MHz and still have a lower TDP then a stock I7 7740K.
    The Intel I9 does not really overclock more then the R7 without getting crazy thermals and a I7 7740K overclocked to 5200Mhz is not beating a stock R7 1700 in full multi thread anyway.

my R7 1700 overclock was done with powerstage 0 set to 3500mhz and auto voltage, running prime at max heat, TDP measured with hardwaremonitor max cpu power.

3. Jawnys

Jawnys Master Guru

GPU:
    asus tuf oc 3090
    ram prise is ridiculous atm, when i bought my gskillz kit ddr4 3200 with my 6600k it was 50 $ lower than what it is now, altho its d-die memory i can still oc it to 3733mhz with my kaby lake. i bought the kit at the end of 2015

4. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Fanboy or not they would for the most part be right. Games in general runs better on 4 fast cores than on more than 4, slower cores.
    These 6 core processors are for instance not going to hold up against a 7700k in gaming, since they are way to slow per clock.. Even a threadripper won't touch the 7700k in gaming performance. Though the threadripper will obliterate the 7700k in almost every other task than gaming.

5. Alien_Zero

Alien_Zero Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    And this kids why AMD deserve our hard earned money this time! :banana:

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    unless they show me six core for less then i payed for 6700k they still charing to much

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Sandy Bridge is still good even by today's standards. I'd say you're better off waiting for "Zen 2", since AMD will have got most of the bugs figured out. The first gen of an architecture is always a lot worse than it could be (which is promising so far). AMD had Ryzen so rushed they needed frequent BIOS updates and RAM issues. Clearly, it isn't as polished as they would've liked. I'd have waited for the next gen myself but my old gaming PC was dying, and involved a FX 6300 so it wasn't that great to begin with.

Hahaha My G.Skill 3000MHz RAM is currently over 2x the price I paid back in November 2016. I paid somewhere around $80 (including shipping) and currently it is $163 without shipping.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Depends on the resolution.... At 4K, they're all pretty damn equal. In any case, for the cost of an i7 7700K alone, you can buy an R5 1600 and motherboard rather easily...and have an overall more capable system.

9. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    After seeing sky lake x my interest is coming to these.

My only concern is the quite low base clock, I'd assume the turbo would be around 4.0-4.2ghz at that point. So unless the ipc has dramatically increased this might actually come out slower than a kabylake stock. Which would kinda suck, had nothing decent worth upgrading the 2700k @4.6ghz too.

Would be nice if they bumped up the pcie lanes too, 24/28 would be nice but it's intel so I'm sure they will stick to 16'sadly

10. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I don't know what's so hard to understand for you that you'd foolishly think you'd need insider information.

Simply look at the incredible amount of space dedicated to the graphics core... If intel wanted, they could have sold a dual channel octo core cpu for the price of an i5 and still turn a nice profit. The only reason they haven't done so is to keep the prices high at the enthusiast level without going into xeon territory (meaning 18 core). AMD has kinda forced intels hands right now :)

[​IMG]

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    well all i can say about that is ... FINALLY!

12. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Thank AMD for it by buying an 8 core 16 thread small socket CPU from them lol. How long did intel keep their small socket maxed at 4 cores 8 threads? Almost a decade?

13. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    as far my 3770k covers me i will sit on it although i drool over the ryzen 7's :p will see when i update my vga if i feel like my 3770k is a serious bottleneck i will eventually change cpu also till then i am pretty fine ! i want to believe i am hardware agnostic on preference although i like amd more than intel at the bottom end i would buy what i believe is the best bang for my buck before my 3770k my cpu was the phenom 2 720 x3 was the same price as the core 2 duo 8400 with an extra core and phenom 2 cores vs core 2 cores ...where pretty close in performance !

14. Exascale

Exascale Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 1070
    Ive always had intel, but AMD really has made the best x86 product lineup at every level right now, as far as i can tell.

15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    but but ....1080p fps ....! :p
    jokes aside well this is the 2nd time that happens my favorite all time cpu was the athlon 64 3000+ on the 754 slot was the first pc i ever brought with my money and not my dads the newly released A64 2800+/3000+/3200+ made marmalade out of the p4 Prescott !

16. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    While you are right that 4K gives a smaller difference, as GPU is more likely to be a more limiting factor than in 1080p, we are still talking about up to 60% FPS loss in 1080p in certain games, which is an insane hit to take.. if you are gaming competitively you are likely playing at lower res and 144hz, at which time faster cores is the only reasonable choice. if you rock out on a 4K Monitor running 60hz, well then likely not as much, though havent seen much benches done at that res for Cpus as they like to show low res for larger numbers.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-amd-ryzen-7-1800x-review
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDvk9_iTq6Y
    these are both from 1080p res, but it gives an idea of what impact the core-speed can have in many games, new games also at that - while other games does not require the core-speeds but even then rarely boost ahead from the many more cores.

17. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    That article is months old and Ryzen as well as games have received updates that drastically shrink the differences.

18. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Tomb Raider is the only one that approaches 50-60% difference and this is before the bios updates or the patch Tomb raider received that increased the performance massively you are making it sound like this 60% is something that occurs on every game ...witch was not ...not even on lunch day

edit : also the 7700k beats quiet easily the 7800x on very similar clock speeds the 7800x uses mesh architecture witch is intel's "infinity fabric" sorta
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTQ6ymQIY64 so if you want to lock your self down to another 4core cpu for just today's gaming while the 7800x and cpu's from both intel and amd will deliver way above 100fps be my guest !right now my opinion is if you have a 4xxx i7 6xxx i7 7xxx i7 or i5 really keep em as long they serve you well on gaming for quiet a while if you really want to update wait to see the 6 core cpu's from intel also and decide if your pc is broken and you are posting threw a tablet or something so you really can't wait ..grab an r5 1600

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Yeah, I saw Steve's video comparing the 7700K to the 7800X a while ago and was blown away by the results. Initially, it was thought to be due to the cache restructuring but now seems that the mesh is to blame (hopefully some more testing will clear things up in the near future). I'm curious to see if the upcoming 8700K and 8600K will suffer from similar performance penalties?

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    depends if intel create those cpu's with the ring bus instead of mesh then they will not be affected ... i think at least , i do not think is on their best interest to do that though since the logic says they would produce everything with mesh and the parts that can not make it out to make 8~16 core can be laser cut and sold as full functional 8700k and 8600k cpus ... now we know for sure that amd going infinity fabric all across the scale from ryzen 3 up to ryzen threadripper and epyc , but if they go also mesh all the way then i think is somewhat safe to assume that the new compilers will be very aware of that architectural shift and sooner than later the 7700k will stop dominating the gaming benchmark on that degree at least ....

here is an interesting test to do to test the tombraider before the ryzen patch and after the ryzen patch with the 7800x if there is a gain even half as close to ryzen gains between those 2 patches wouldn't be some kind of confirmation about that ?