Intel Shows 1.59x Performance Improvement in Upcoming Intel Xeon Scalable Family

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2017.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Which HW compared to which? What was configuration of solution before and after...

3. Craigpd

Craigpd Member

GPU:
    Raedeon HD7950 3GB
    I recall Intel comparing their upcoming Xeons a few weeks back, to Broadwell..and still losing out in some places. So I expect the same comparison to be made here.

Grabbed this from Intel's release on the show
    Ok. So, let's dig into wording here, because this is bugging me something fierce.
    So, this enhanced memory support is only exclusive to Intel based systems running the upcoming Xeons? Or is this is a generalised update to HANA that allows it to support greater memory as a whole? If they want to start disabling specific instructions and feature support for Intel's competitors based on no technological reasoning, then that could end poorly.

Nowhere can I find anything on this new memory, other than it being non-volatile. Which, considering the downtime servers face and how reliable they're designed to, shouldn't really be a consideration for anyone, especially in a 4 or 8 socket server rack.

I find it amusing that even Intel are still trying to chant on about Self Driving cars, meanwhile no sane country will legalise them..Assisted driving maybe..But self? Nah.

I mean, am I missing something here, or was the only meaningful thing released here was news of a vendor lock-in, and then some buzzwords to bulk it out?