Intel Series H270 and Z270 motherboard photos

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    If people can resist Kaby and the corresponding chipset it will help pressure Intel to up the performance mainstream to 6 or 8 cores on a more aggressive timeline.

That said, let me make a case against upgrading from anything Sandy Bridge (2xxx series processors and 6 series chipset) or later: this platform offers very little if anything new. Same max core count, same dual channel DDR4 memory, same PCIe slot configs. The only new things are this supposed Optane support (which may not be exclusive) and native USB 3.1, though many current boards already have USB 3.0 and 3.1 even from Intel. Optane itself has been listed as having initial capacities of 32GB... pfft. Cross your arms and sit on that cash people.

3. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    So this is Tock? i'm waiting to upgrade my z77 and 3770k.. should i wait for the next tick? or next tock?

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    My excitement cannot be contained in my mortal vessel.

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well this Tock is more Motherboard feature related.

If you don't plan to use any of the features and hardware mentioned in this bit of news, then I would wait to upgrade if you are fine with your current rig power wise.

Don't upgrade for the CPU...upgrade for the MB features, again IF you are going to use the new pcie SSD by intel and want rapid storage technology to drive it. Of course there is a bit more than that to it, but that is the main selling point. Faster SSD's.

6. ChicagoDave

ChicagoDave Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 / EVGA 970
    The cpu/chipset also has full hardware support for 10bit h265 encode/decode so will make a much more efficient HTPC. This decode previously required an external GPU. While I don't expect to use an Optane drive for several years (if ever) it's a nice future proof feature. It will also increase the PCI-E lanes to 24 from 20 on 100 series chipsets/skylake CPUs, which will be nice for current and future M.2 NVME drives.

I'm upgrading from an ancient Westmere i5-650 so I'll be getting a ton of new features (usb 3.0/3.1, DDR4, PCI-E 3.0, etc etc). My current Haswell gaming rig will be fine for another few years.

Really the only reason to upgrade these days are additional PCI-E lanes, or chipset features, unless you have specific workloads that necessitate an upgrade. Simple single threaded performance was good enough for almost everything years ago (and still is even with my Westmere).

One thing I have noticed is a lot of new games requiring Sandy/Ivy or later CPU's in their minimum requirements, which to me is ridiculous. However we're going to get a point where even everyone's mighty Sandy will need to take a step aside. Don't think we're there quite yet though.

7. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    AVX.

If the previous Core CPUs had it, most of them would be fine too.

8. VENGEANCE

VENGEANCE Guest

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1070 HOF @2164
    Honestly people rather wait for zen to see differences and optane will cost you an arm and a leg and your soul.....if things are too expensive go bang for buck...and stop feeding these rich cu!@#nts...
    I have been a intel fan for many many years since amd 64..but a little excited for zen overclock.
    BTW: zen comes with features build into the cpu

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016