Intel Seems to adopt ATX12VO Standard starting at Alder Lake-S Motherboards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    The good point is to separate the 12V it make the board more stable this way (it's also a mod that some do for extreme OC... So it work)...
    The so/so point is: ahmmm do we really need that on mainstream segment? i would said No, but future will tell us

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Cool, i bought a brand new Seasonic Prime PX 850 last year...

Guess i'll have to buy 10th or 11th Gen after all.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Theres absolutely no point to it, psu's in the last 10 years are already doing DC-DC conversion for super efficiency, this is just putting it in a location where it can be used to justify doubling mainboard costs.

5. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    You think that's bad i just bought a MSI 850W PSU less than a month a go because my last one Cooler master silent 850w which was like 13 years old tb was not longer delivering enough current to the GPU and had major stability issues when playing anything that put heavy load on the GPU.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    This is what I'm scared of and I guarantee PSU prices will not drop to compensate.

7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    So we go from 1 connector to 4?
    I don't like this at all, I prefer all the power conversion to be done at the PSU and have the motherboard have a simple layout.
    But this is Intel, if they want to push this forward, we will have to eat it as is.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    In industrial this kind of board and PSU are already standard since years (12V and 24V are standard since many decade... it help)

On other hand most Intel "better" innovation fail: BTX and mBTX layout, the small size 24 pins PSU socket on board...

A PSU with single type of voltage output IS more reliable than those we have right now and we change motherboard more often than PSU, so it might be cool thing for main market.

(if you want to test on "normal" motherboard, there is kit to use conventional ATX board with a single v industrial PSU, you will get almost the same result, but it look awfull and don't have PCIe 6 or 8 pins).

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So we are going to need a new PSU if we want Alder Lake CPUs?...

If that´s the case i hope AMD doesn´t copy Intel on this one...

10. Ssateneth

Ssateneth Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980
    12VO isn't a bad standard. You all might be praising PSU manufacturers for already having super high efficiency and already doing DC to DC conversion. But 12VO blows idle power use out of the water compared to 24 pin ATX. A fully on system and running while idle (not in hibernate or standby, but ready at desktop) with a 10900k only takes about 10-15 watts at the wall. A standard PSU may do this at 30-50 or more watts. Linus already did a video on this. As far as the guy saying "well its more wires going to the board now, this is bad". No. You have a smaller, more easily routable wire going to the motherboard, easier to connect. And you have SATA power connectors for connecting SATA power coming OUT of the motherboard into SATA (or SATA powered) devices. If you don't use SATA powered (or molex powered if you use an adapter) device, you just dont plug in those wires.

Yes it sucks that modern PSU's with 8-15 year warranties will be out-moded by 12VO. It's extremely likely that PSU manufacturers of those long warranty PSU's will provide adapter kits at a small cost, like nvidia's new microfit connector which is also a good connector, which will turn their ATX 24-pin plus whatever modular connectors into something that is ATX12VO compliant. It won't be as efficient as true ATX12VO but you will be able to continue using your ATX12V in 12VO hardware.

The current connectors and electrical specifications are coming from a 30+ year old standard. It's time to move on to something better.

Airbud and nick0323 like this.

11. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    what about all sata/molex powered devices which require 5V to run ?!?

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    2 cables are inputs and the 2 others are sata outputs, because the sata power is now made by the motherboard.

Just like my old Asrock AM1 board, 12volt laptop power brick input and 5v sata power out.
    The 5 volt power supply on the board died though, so i am glad it also had normal 24pin ATX power input.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This change will not be a all or nothing thing, unless Intel pays off a lot of motherboard makers to force this.

Performance ITX boards are probably not going to get this in first generation because of space requirements.

This will take more then a year to implement and a setup like a 12 or 13 series Intel should last a couple of years anyway, so a new PSU bought today, would still be usable for the next 4 years at least.
    By that time you need a new motherboard anyway.

Well AMD is still an option for a "obsolete" ATX PSU.

13. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    While I'm generally for the design I don't like the added e-waste since motherboards (and thus the additional power components) are replaced more often than PSUs.

My biggest concern would, however, be that it's no longer good enough to get a good quality PSU to guarantee good power delivery. It's now another differentiator for the motherboards as well and I'd expect the cheaper ones, or even the reasonably cheap ones, to skimp out and mess this up as badly as cheap/trash PSUs do.

14. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AD102/Navi21
    and argb controllers

im not fond of this,you can upgrade your platform twice and still be fine for 10+ years with a quality psu
    and boards cost an arm and a leg already

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Wrong on both accounts.

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It's provided by motherboard... At least if they follow the industrial equivalent.

17. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    When you see that some were made in the early 80' and are enough stable to be used (my ex job)... i don't know what you need.

18. hansip87

hansip87 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    The power rating of PSU will be much clearer with single output value. so no more 500 watt PSUs that are only able to output 29 Amps on 12 Volts. plus those vacant space left by DDR5 integrated VR should be enough to be used to place VR to output the reduced voltage of 5v and 3.3v.

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    It seems Alder Lake will also have a lower overall height and different hole layout for coolers.

Shouldn't be an issue for the premium brands, but cheaper cooler brands may never see a new mounting kit.

Glad i'm using Noctua.

Due to the way they designed their coolers a new mounting kit is all they have to make. And i believe all high end Noctua coolers have a 45x45mm coldplate as well, so that's not a concern either.

Last edited: May 25, 2021