Intel Sandy & Ivy Bridge Microcode patches Available for Older Windows 10 Builds

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Robbo9999 likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
  4. icedman

icedman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    Glad i don't have to worry about this anymore as i just sold my 2500k and 3770k i was stuck on those for far too long

5. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1050Ti 4G OC
    From what i've read, there are some pretty hefty performance hits for ivy and sandy for my taste.

I'll pass.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  6. DeskStar

DeskStar Master Guru

GPU:
    4 eVGA GTX TITAN SC
    If someone targets me for some shtuff on my PC then they are seriously wasting their time.

If a performance penalty is to be had with this update then you can also count me out on this one here. I am still satisfied with the performance of my computer of over four years old and am not about to mitigate that with some hardware patch destroying what performance I have left.

Sounds like more of a way to "mandatorily" make system operators/infrastructures and or individuals to upgrade. then again to what with what security guarantees in place??

Barely on my PC any more these days as it is, but would like to take advantage of Nvidia's remote play from my BOSS desktop to a shield, or something similar in my living room upstairs.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  7. DeskStar

DeskStar Master Guru

GPU:
    4 eVGA GTX TITAN SC
    What did you end up going with on the newer build?? Because I am almost certain that any and all CPU's to today are all vulnerable.

So regardless if new or old everyone on both sides of the fence (red & blue) are being affected.

8. las

las Active Member

GPU:
    980 Ti @ 1580/2000
    Well, all current CPU's are vulnerable.

Ryzen don't have Meltdown issues tho, but they have other issues (Ryzenfall etc).

Spectre affects all.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Even though there is no performance hit for me, with the patch applied the PC does behave different i have noticed.

So i pass as well untill this get's exploited and there is an actuall need to patch it.

10. cartdog

cartdog Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti H20
    Is it just me or is Windows 10 the most insecure and buggy OS Microsoft has put out for some time?

Theres an untold list of issues WinX has caused such as system crashes, performance issues, hardware issues, security vulnerabilities...the list goes on and on. I dont recall this with Windows 7.

It's a serious problem. Its not just in the OS realm either, games aswell suffer from poor programming, its asif software engineers have no talent anymore. Products are either rushed, problems ignored, or QA doesn't exist in todays development field.

Order_66 likes this.

11. ApexiTT

ApexiTT Active Member

GPU:
    780ti Sli
    Still on 1507, Windows updte disabled, cortana removed and Windows defender. I'm not going to upgrade anything.. Let me just nerf my performance because of some exploit these huge corporations have found and noone in real world hacker has found, You can't scare me into virus protection. I can still play everygame I want to play with no issues and record my music. :D

12. squalles

squalles Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax GTX 1080 EXOC OC
    happy with mine 2700k 4.7ghz here with good performance on build 1803 without this patch... i donĀ“t wanna see my performance lost like when i installed this update on 1709 build before

13. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    Many
    1709 version, does anyone have a link to show before and after? Rather than claiming they have SEEN the performance hit, Id like to see it first(ill be my own judge).

14. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    Thanks, but no thanks

15. Primey0

Primey0 Member Guru

GPU:
    -
    Please don't come crying to us when you get infected and all of your personal data is stolen. People who don't install windows updates and very important microcode patches shouldn't be allowed on a PC.

16. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 (8GB)
    I'm still a bit skeptical about this "patch" and why not just release it to the general public through Windows Update?

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if these were all Mandatory updates ok, but fact they saying optional means, that dont see these as real issue or they just dont want be blamed for peoples pc's getting slower. which worse cause that means they know it need to be patched but they dont want to be the ones to force it cause they dont want to be blamed either way the way this has been handled and still is being handled, leaves alot to desired and all the "research" firms that keep release all these " flaws" out in to wild is bit fishy to me.

Till this all settles down and all patches are out and fixes, that dont hit performance so drasticlly I will wait.

18. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1050Ti 4G OC
    Actually, i would tend to agree, if only there weren't 8 other swiss cheese holes (SpectreNG) surrounding it that are wide open, and plugging only this one with it's jacked up performance. So what's next, after they plug the next 8, 16 more? Life is too short.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 ARMOR 4G OC
    OK

Order_66, xIcarus and jaggerwild like this.
  20. WareTernal

WareTernal Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 380X XXX
    Benchmarks are out there, but so is a lot of hype. Why not do your own real world tests, and really be your own judge? If InSpectre is to be believed, you can easily disable the mitigations to compare, and leave them disabled if you have a problem with performance. If your primary machine isn't doing double duty as a SQL server, or a NAS, you probably wont notice. You can create scenarios where there is a slowdown, like SSD benchmarks, but these aren't close to real-world situations for most people. My system performs the same, with and without the mitigations, in my benchmarks of 7zip, CPU-Z, Witcher 2, Doom 2016, and Arma 3, and I don't notice any difference in responsiveness. So far, there seems to be no difference in what I do and what I care about.

jaggerwild likes this.